Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where's the Hot Spot? Redskins Practice Squad

bulldog

the joint's jumpin :)

except it's not a night club, it's the Redskins' practice squad.

perhaps I have just been paying more attention in 2008 but it appears virtually the entire practice squad roster from September has been claimed by other clubs and those players added to their active rosters.

Andrew Crummey (OC), Matteral Richardson (CB), Curtis Gatewood(LB), Steve Octavien (LB), Devin Aromashodu (WR) have all been signed away and added to the 45 man roster of NFL teams.

I haven't had time to check the rosters of other team's practice squad moves, but are other teams experiencing the same type of player movement?

It appeared from the preseason that Crummey and Richardson had actually outplayed some of the players the Redskins decided to keep, including Justin Geisinger and Justin Tryon and had greater upside.

But again, the Redskins chose to keep all the draft picks and those backups who had been around in 2007.

I am just a bit curious that given some of our problems on the OL and DL as well as depth at some other spots such as SLB and PR that the Redskins haven't made a single move to bring in a younger player and give him a chance to audition.

The Cowboys at 8-5 with a defense ranked #8 overall in the NFL signed Octavien (LB) from the Redskins and placed him on their game roster for next week.

I don't know whether Octavien is a good player with a decent upside or not.

But one wonders with Marcus Washington all but out for the rest of the sason (let's be honest here), why the Redskins didn't place MW on IR while continuing to start HB Blades and giving the team a chance to get a look at another younger player at LB the last 3 games of the season.

amazing that both the Cowboys (8-5) and Bears (7-6) found players for their top 45 active roster from the Redskins practice squad, yet despite the struggles the Redskins until Devin Clark never promoted any of these players to our own roster.

amazing that both the Cowboys (8-5) and Bears (7-6) found players for their top 45 active roster from the Redskins practice squad, yet despite the struggles the Redskins until Devin Clark never promoted any of these players to our own roster.

Course, part of the reason why is because they lost players for the season. Octavien replaced Kosier on the roster. I'm not sure why Chicago is making the move yet.

The other teams who have signed PS players are teams like the Bengals and Kansas City, who are in pretty sorry shape.

Personally, I look at the PS roster raiding as a compliment to our scouting staff. Even the replacements for PS players get picked up. Course, it sucks that other teams pick them up, but that's the risk with leaving them out there.

Archived