Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

looking for summer internship...what should I do?

Prosperity

The title says it all, I am trying to get a law firm/government internship over the summer. How should I go about it? I was thinking that I might just go in person to as many firms as possible and give a copy of my resume. Does anyone have any better ideas? Good websites?

The title says it all, I am trying to get a law firm/government internship over the summer. How should I go about it? I was thinking that I might just go in person to as many firms as possible and give a copy of my resume. Does anyone have any better ideas? Good websites?

Good way to get your resume thrown into a pile of thousands of resumes with the promise to "call if something opens up."

Craigslist. Mediabistro. Internships.com. Pick out some good ones, and write GOOD, ORIGINAL cover letters.

What's your educational level? What kind of internship do you want? I mean, what kind of work do you expect to do? Law firms typically interview at law schools and hire summer associates the fall before the next summer, and lots of firms are cutting back on summer associate hires. Depending on what you are looking for, you may want to just check out firms' website and email people who are alums of your school or something like that, and ask if you could speak with them BEFORE sending in a resume.

Obviously we go to different schools, so I don't know how helpful my info can be, but I would see if your school can help you.

I know the journalism school here at WVU helps their students find internships, I'm sure that is the case with other departments here as well.

Again, this is at WVU, but it wouldn't hurt to see if the department in whatever your majoring in can help you.

Liberty, are there any professional organizations or groups that could introduce you to a firm?

When I first started working in the quality engineering field, I was asked by our local ASQ(American Society for Quality) chapter if I'd be interested in interning with affiliated businesses.

I did a quick search to see if there were similar organizations for the legal profession and found this one...The International Law Students Association, http://www.ilsa.org/

Also the American Law Institute, http://www.ali.org/

I have no idea if they could help you locate internships, but it's worth a try.

Best of luck!

I can offer a job chopping wood. You'll get in great shape and that'll lead to a positive attitude and that really shows well. They pay will be on scale though.

LOL, I swung an axe all week during Thanksgiving week. I was sore in muscles i had forgotten about! It is awesome exercise, and it makes you feel manly as all heck when you clean cut a knotty maple log with one swing.:)

I can offer a job chopping wood. You'll get in great shape and that'll lead to a positive attitude and that really shows well. They pay will be on scale though.

I prefer manual labor work, been cutting grass every summer, but I need to start padding my resume for law school

http://www.rcjobs.com/job-search/

http://www.senate.gov/visiting/common/generic/placement_office.htm

If you want an internship on the Hill, you should have no problem finding one. Its real early so I don't know if they are looking for summer interns yet, but you can always put your resume up on the Senate site where it will stay for a couple months. After two months you need to call them up and they will put it up again. This is only the Senate

I currently am looking at the House office openings (you have to pick up a list on the Hill, they don't post online) and there are about 50 offices looking for interns. If you can get down to Longworth Building, I suggest picking the sheet up. They update every week.

The House puts out a new list

Archived