Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IM at work

Golgo-13

My old firm has recently merged with a new firm. At my old firm we could have AOL or MSN messenger and it would run fine on our machines. However, I just got my new PC today from the "new firm" and it won't let me install ANY of the IM clients on my machine. It says that it is a denied file type. Do any of you know if there is a way *ahem* around this? Or am I pretty much just sunk? Thanks...

Sounds like you don't have permission to run exe files. In that case then you can't do anything about it. AIM has a lot of security holes and that is why companies are getting rid of it on computers. The other thing is if they don't want you to have it, I wouldn't try to install it anyway. Depending on how the network is set up they will know if you are using it anyway. People think that logging onto the internet like hotmail then the company won't know what you are doing, well they are wrong. Once you log into your system they can track every think you do down to a keystroke. Unless you have a good buddy who works as an IT administrator your best bet is email or the phone now.

What is the denied file type? Is it allowing you to install but then not run (I'm assuming AIM)? If you want to try to run the cheapster AIM express, click here . It's not as good as the regular messenger, but it works.

My company blocked IM about a year ago, and I switched to "Express." As it says above, it's not as good, but it works and it's better than nothing.

Archived