Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reds officially release Deion...

PrimeTime21

Not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing so dont go postal on me people, just bringing you the news...

----------------------------------

HOUSTON (AP) The Cincinnati Reds placed Deion Sanders on unconditional release waivers Friday, at least temporarily ending an attempt to revive his baseball career.

Sanders had been designated for assignment by the Reds last Friday when the team activated Ken Griffey Jr. off the disabled list. The two-sport star, who is still on the roster of the NFL's Washington Redskins, was hitting .173 in 32 games for the Reds.

He went 3-for-3 with a home run his first game May 1 against Los Angeles. But he had just 10 hits and one RBI from that point before being designated for assignment.

Sanders, who played for the Reds from 1994-95 and in 1997, was called up after Griffey went on the disabled list with a torn hamstring.

Because Sanders was released by the Reds before July 29, the cornerback is contractually obligated to show up for the Redskins' training camp or risk losing part of his $8 million signing bonus.

Redskins coach Marty Schottenheimer said earlier this month that he is inclined to wait until the eve of training camp to decide what to do with Sanders, who hopes Washington releases him.

By waiting so late, the Redskins would make it difficult for Sanders to sign with another NFL team because of salary cap considerations.

-----------------------------------

Looks like Deion MAY have to report to Skins camp after all, he probably refused a trip to the minors and a deal couldn't of been worked out...Now every team starting with the worst record to the best has to pass on him!

It's hardly surprising news since he was designated last week AND

He can still sign with another ML team which I doubt but I have no idea why you are all so happy about that news, that means that Deion will come back to camp, the Skins are forced to either pay him or cut him, if he plays with the Skins someone else has to renegotiate or be cut...If you think that Marty will give him sh!t and not play him you are kidding yourselves because he is not doing his job by playing the best available player at a position!!

------------------

http://www.houseofprime.net

Oh come on man, call the guy a jerk, question his speed but you CANNOT compare baseball skills to football skills, the guy hasnt played big league ball for 4 years and he was a part timer back then...Michael Jordan showed that baseball wasnt an easy game, and I'm willing to bet that over 80% of the players in the major leagues couldn't come back to baseball after 4 years and hit over .200!

Baseball and Football are two totally different games...

And you think they are going to pay him a few million to sit on the bench, just doesnt make sense at all!

------------------

[edited.gif by PrimeTime21 on June 22, 2001.]

No sh!t, they're 2 different sports. The problem is, both sports rely on many of the same athletic skills (which are eroding in Deions case). The aging process does NOT discriminate or differentiate between the two sports. Forget the differences you mentioned between the 2 sports, think of the simliarities. You need reaction skills in either one. If the aging process has affected his ability to perform in one, no doubt it will affect the other. Why the hell do you think we call him "Past his Prime Time"

PT21 wrote:

If you think that Marty will give him sh!t and not play him you are kidding yourselves because he is not doing his job by playing the best available player at a position!!

At this point, I am not sure you can say that Deion is the 'best available' at his position. The thing that I LOVE about this whole situation is that Deion WILL have to EARN his starting spot.

Looks like Fred Smoot will get his chance to take the job away from Deion smile.gif

Also PT, comparing Michael Jordan's failed stint in baseball, to Deion's most recent failure, is absolutely laughable. Your statement on Michael Jordan proved absolutely nothing. Jordan NEVER WAS pro baseball material. Sure baseball is hard in many ways, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Deion has fallen from grace a long, hard fall, and he just ain't man enough to admit it.

Hey folks welcome to Economics 101 in the NFL, they are going to sit Deion and his millions on the bench and start someone who hasnt played in a regular season game yet? (take that as either Harrison or Smoot)! Yeah right...The Skins will be just wasting a roster spot and not to mention a lot of cash in sitting Deion!

------------------

Dude, who said anything about benching Deion and his Million $$'s...We're talking about making him EARN the job, like anyone else. You're right, he's making Millions, and that's ALL the more reason to make him earn a starter spot

If he ain't good enough to win the job, then cut his @ss along with his millions. Of course he won't get paid that much to be backup. He'll either be asked to take a pay cut or BE cut. And we'll show no pity that it's so late in the offseason, and it'll be that much harder for him to catch on somewhere.

What we're saying is, he won't get anymore special treatment just cuz of his name and his contract.

PT21, youre completely right about Deion being on the bench. He wont be on the bench for the Skins.

But I dont think you get the thing that makes us the happiest...

Imagine Marty working Deion like a dog all through TC... but Harrison and/or Smoot is the better player come the end of August. Last day of TC, the Turk visits old Pinetime.

And he has to go begging for a minimum vet salary somewhere else.

Now THAT would make ME jump in the air and click my heels!

But honestly, I see Deion giving back a good bit of his signing bonus and signing somewhere that "will respect his abilities." I don't think his ego could handle having to take the chance of working his arse off at Skins TC and STILL losing his starting job to a rookie or two. evil.gif

Blade said it as it will be done.

Again, prediction.

After reconciling the so-called "differences" in approaches to how and who runs the football team, both agree mutually, that Deion Sanders is to be released from the Washington Redskins. Deion Sanders will take a much lessor signing bonus amount with him, with no apparent disagreement through the the CBA or NFL headquarters. Tagliabue could not be reached for comment and a spokesperson stated that Tagliabue has already said, a statement or disagreement to these developments is unnecessary.

[edited.gif by indyskinsfan on June 22, 2001.]

But all this begs the question...

"What's more important to Deion? The $8 million in signing bonus or his ego?"

That's one question I will love to see answered.

Will he report and dog it, forcing Marty to cut him, thus saving his $8 million?

Or will he refuse to report and give back some of the money?

I don't think there's any scenario where the Skins would like to keep Deion. There's too many young CBs behind him, and we need the cap room.

This is gonna be fun.

bz

If slimetime goes 38 more days unclaimed then I will smile at the thought of him busting his a$$ at camp marty. But as you all know the owners aren't rocket scientists and neither are their personnel people.

If slimetime shows up it will be great theatre. I tend to think that both Shade and slimetime will be asked to take a paycut to help us sign the rookies.

My question is do we keep 6 corners:

Champ, Darrell green, smoot, L harrison, Greer, and slimetime.

------------------

Dave

I don't see any way Deion will be on this team when the season starts. Simply comparing his salary against his abilities (and that's if you assume he'll work, which he won't) he's not worth his pay.

If I'm Marty, the only way he stays on this team is if he renegotiates for a better (for the Skins) contract. And although I wouldn't mind seeing that happen, I don't see any way Deion will agree to that.

I also think the odds of the Skins getting any cap relief from this are about the same as me winning the lottery. But it doesn't cost us anything to try (at least not yet).

As for getting emotional payback for various things, I think that: A) Even trying to deal with him from a position of revenge makes the team look bad. I congratulate Marty & co. for maintaining the correct "no comment" public attitude about this. B) Getting a reputation for doing this has the POTENTIAL of souring our relationships with other players (or potential players). Granted, I bet most of them are willing to look at this situation and say "Deion deserved it", the fact that the thought will occur at all may cost us in intancible ways.

I think the correct way to deal with this, is the way they're doing it. He's the starter until he loses it. He's our player. What insults? We'll see in camp. This is a football decision.

(Although, if I were Deion, I might be more afraid of the other players in camp than I am of Marty).

There's still a very good chance that Deion will be signed by another baseball team, in fact Deion has been telling his closest friends that he will be a Blue Jay by Monday and although the FO said they are not interested, assistant GM Dave Stewart of the Blue Jays has gone on record as saying that they should sign him!

Also, I agree with you Larry about how the Skins should handle it if he comes back but I think you are way of base with your "the teammates will hate Deion" I recently watched a video interview of Josh Symonette after Deion has his 3 for 3 night in Cincy and he said he was happy for him and that Deion has been in touch with just about every teammate since January!

------------------

if they gave Deion this long with the Reds, the Blue Jays will give him a few weeks before they dump him also. I don't think Marty is all that worried about this coming down to the 1st few days of camp, Deion won't last that long in MLB. We've all seen it so far and know it.

------------------

Pootie Tang whoop your ass so bad, you can write it off on your taxes!

I've given some more thought to this about how the two sides could part ways and how each could be better for it. As a starting point, I don't believe what Marty says about waiting until training camp- that's a bargaining tool. I'm pretty sure Marty wants this resolved now, not later.

I believe it's possible to restructure Deion's contract so that he receives this year's "salary" in the form of a bonus and is paid in real salary at the league minimum. This could then be made the last year of his contract. Obviously, the amount of the bonus paid to him this year would amount to less than the amount of money the team owes to him under the current contract.

The team would then cut him right away, which is what Deion wants, and Deion would be free to sign with another team before training camps start. The team would also have the additional salary cap space this year amounting to the difference between the league minimum and the salary that Deion would have been paid under his old contract. We would take a cap hit next year in the amout of the bonus we paid him this year under the new contract, likely a couple of million dollars.

I have a feeling that we'll see this or something like it happen during the next three weeks or so.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

First of all, is there any precedent for someone giving back bonus money to be cut?

I think you guys are making this too complicated. AND I agree with PT21 that Deion is the second best corner on the redskins and the BEST second corner in the league by far. Yeah we have smoot, but smoot as a fourth corner would be aweful nice. Deion will not have to fight for his starting job the way Kevin Mitchell will. If deion comes back and looks worse than any of the rookies yeah he'll be sent down but that's not going to happen guys.

As for working deions butt off at camp, yeah, but no more than anyone else. As i have said before marty will give deion no special treatment for better or for worse.

If we go in with Champ Deion Darrell and Smoot we'll be doing great. Throw Greer in instead of Deion and you simply have a worse team. MArty knows this. Therefore I'lkll put my money on Deion staying with the skins IF he doesn't go to another baseball team.

-DB

Sign with the Blue Jays by Monday, yea right! The Jays are ready to clean house if victories don't start right now. This was reported by Baseball Tonight the other day. Nowhere has it been said by anyone other than Dieon that he is going to sign with the Jays. Even if he does, where does he fit in? Toronto's outfield is loaded, and the last thing they need is an over the hill baseball wannabe. Dieon has run out of options and he knows it. The Redskins are now in charge of his situation. Anybody that knows baseball can clearly see that Dieon doesen't have it. The last person the Blue Jays need to turn their season around is Dieon Sanders. Better rest up slimetime, you have one month till camp Marty, you are going to need it pal!

Let me get this right PT21 and Drunken. What you guys are saying is, Deion could be the #1 corner for any other team in the league.

How anybody with any true logic say Deion is the second best corner on the Skins, and second in the league, when he was given the job with the Skins on rep alone. You don't see people throw at the second best corner in the league all day, every week.

I don't know who I would call the second best in the league at this time, and I'm not sure if Champ is #1 yet, but Deion is no where near the top. Ya, I'd say he's still in the top 10, but not the top 5.

As for him going to the BlueJays, the only Jays Deion will see are the type he smoked in HI school.

Pete,

sorry for the misunderstanding, What I meant was not that Deion is the second BEST but the best SECOND Corner. He is certainly in the top 10, but Green, Greer, and Smoot are not in the top ten. He could be the number one corner in all but 9 or so teams, and that's ~ 2/3 of the NFL. MAybe that's even a stretch, but No team has two corners better than Deion, not even the redskins. And as for Deion being victimized last year, if we put green over there full time, we will see green get burned for more than one touchdown. One touchdown people that's a great number for your #2 corner.

So I think that we are actually in agreement pete, so if i'm still wrong feel free to enlighten me.

-DB

Archived