Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT -- NBA Draft Trade Rumors

Zen-like Todd

If this offer is really on the table, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

http://www.gomemphis.com/newca/sports/062201/s22grizz.htm

Here are the first two paragraphs, with the pertinent info.

As the Vancouver Grizzlies prepare to open basketball operations in Memphis on Sunday, talk is swirling that the team is working to obtain the No. 1 overall pick in Wednesday's draft.

ESPN.com reported the Grizzlies have been talking with the Washington Wizards, who have the first pick. The report said the Grizzlies have offered point guard Mike Bibby and the team's first choice at No. 6 in exchange for the Wizards' No. 1 pick and forward Tyrone Nesby.

So we'd get Bibby, draft Rodney White or Eddie Griffin to play the 3, trade Hamilton to the Nets for the #7 pick, and grab whatever high school big man is still available.

The roster would look kinda like this...

PG -- Mike Bibby/Chris Whitney

SG -- MJ/Courtney Alexander/Hubert Davis

SF -- #6 Pick/Laron Profit/Mike Smith

PF -- Sir Charles/Etan Thomas/Michael Smith

C -- Jahidi White/Popeye Jones/#7 Pick

And on top of that, we'd have enough cash to go after a big time free agent next summer. Works for me....

BTW, I know this is 2 players too many. Drop off both Mike/Michael Smiths if you like. I posted them since its not a given that we are getting all of these guys.

[edited.gif by TheChosenOne on June 22, 2001.]

Rip Hamilton has to upgrade his defensive shortcomings. Actually the whole team does. Do we have someone on the team known for their defensive prowess besides our minority owner?

I keep getting this feeling that we had better draft one of the big men or we will regret this draft.

Curry can do backflips at his weight. He doesn't sound like the clumsy doguhboy some make him out to be.

K Brown has outside range to inside the 3 point arc and will slash to the basket that puts pressure on the opposing power forward.

We can not just build a consistent winning team without a post threat and I'm not talking small forward

------------------

Dave

More and more, I see the Bullets in need of a big guy, not a competent small forward (hey, what was Juwan?). If we trade down, we're not apt to get either Curry or Brown. Diop's a project - might be an Olajuwon and more likely an Olawokandi.

Rip's a proven young scorer. Do you trade that talent and potential? Have the Wizards done well trading young talent? I'm not crazy about losing the guy.

I like the Vancouver/Memphis trade, but who drops to #6? Anyone really like Tyson Chandler? Pau Gasol?

BTW, I'm sort of turning away from Griffin. From what I've read, his stats were padded in games with weak teams while his record vs. the better competition is far less encouraging. I believe I'd prefer the kid from NC Charlotte.

You guys are killing me Eddie Griffin is just as big and way more athletic than the highschoolers. Eddy Curry is strictly offense he's not going to be throwing 6'5 centers stuff in the NBA. I like Kwame Brown but he's raw and doesn't have a back to the basket post game.

Griffin put up the #'s against competition, his #'s are out of this world. He did it in highschool and college the next victim is the NBA and hopefully he'll be doing it with the Zards. The only thing scouts question about him is his attitude, if thats the only flaw they fine I'd take him in a heartbeat, you got Jordan hear to straighten his azz out if he acts up.

He had 20 points 11 boards and 2 blocks against Illinois which is a top 10 team.

Look at his stats he's very consistant.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/mbasketball/player/profile?playerId=479

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/eddiegriffin.htm

------------------

--------------------------------------------

"It's gonna be a long, long day, baby...Don't bring that weak s--- on this side of the line again, your hear? ... Get up, Brother, so you can go back down again".

"Fred Smoot"

Would I trade Hamilton? Sure. The Wizards are lucky enough to have two young talents, and unlucky enough to have them play the same position. Both of them are built to play the 2. You lose a lot when you try and move Alexander to the 3, where he gives up a lot of height and reach. I would give up Hamilton to get a good point guard, and I would give up Hamilton to get a good small forward.

That being said, today's Washington Post has an interview with Doug Collins, and Collins stated that he has no plans to move Hamilton. It could be a smokescreen, but I dont really think so. The other interesting thing Collins mentioned is that if Jordan comes back, he might play the 3. He said Jordan is very strong right now, and he envisions him playing below the foul line instead of chasing perimeter players around the court.

If the Grizzlies are offering Bibby and the 6th for Nesby and the 1st, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

This team has a lot of holes that need to be filled with good young bodies. Forget about Jordan coming back or bringing back the '92 Dream Team to play for the Wizards.

If we can come out of this draft with Bibby and two first round top ten picks after trading Hamilton this team will be well on its way to being playoff contenders for years to come.

Hamilton is great offensively but is a liability on defense. What good is it if he scores 35 points a game if the guy he's guarding is scoring 36?

Bibby at PG, Alexander at SG and we pick up a small forward and big man with the two first rounders and I'm in basketball heaven.

Don't forget that we're going to be about 10 million under the cap come 2002 and we can fill in whatever need is left then.

One other thing. Collins must love to hear himself talk because every week I see him quoted in the paper about one thing or another. He's lucky if he's third in line to voice his opinion about who stays and who goes. Actually he's lucky if he's 5th in line. First you have MJ, then Higgins, then Walker then theirs the scouts as a whole then maybe Collins will give his input. His opinion will carry more wait when it come to evaluating current NBA talent in regards to free agency and trades but not college and high school talent.

[edited.gif by Nighthawk on June 23, 2001.]

Excuse me but when did we get two first ronders?

Bibby and h #6 for the overall #1 and Nesby. Bibby still is a work in progress and at six if go for a big man ie chandler that would sux cause he is soft, 7'1 small forward

Memphis would go for probably Curry to go with their great power forward

------------------

Dave

I think it's a good deal as well. A good deal, but not exactly the best deal for the Wizards. Mike Bibby is definitely a superior PG to Chris Whitney, but Whitney's play was more than adequate and I'd rather see us gain a player we need in a more pressing position. Probably the best part of this deal is getting rid of that whining Nesby.

Also, your assuming MJ is playing and I still haven't seen him confirm that yet. For at least this season, they should keep Rip and let him become the team's leading scorer again. And let Courtney Alexander either start at the 3 or come of the bench and be a good sixth man.

------------------

Deebo

What's with this wanting to get rid of Rip Hamilton. This will be his third year in the league and he averaged 18 points, started developing a better jump shot, very good free throw shooter and has good height at 6'7". Here is the lineup I would love to see.

PG=Hamilton

SG=Alexander

SF=Jordan

PF=Griffin

C=Olajuwon (said he would be intrigued if Jordan came back)

Griffin and Olajuwon (sp?) give the post presence and bigtime shotblocking ability. Hamilton, while not a true point, has decent ball handling skills and would be an easy post up against any point guard in the league. This lineup can run, hit the outside jumpers and play solid (not great) defense.

Hamilton is a guy you have to spot because he doesn't have the ability to man up cover the quicker PG/SG in the league and doesn't have the bulk to play most SF's either.

On a championship team Hamilton is the kind of player you want coming off the bench to provide some offense when your starters need a blow.

I don't see Hamilton as the starter on a serious contender at this point. He will have to improve his game noticeably and with that his physical strength.

As far as the veteran players mentioned, forget about Charles Barkley. In his last go around TWO or THREE years ago, Scottie Pippen rightly noted that Barkley was so far out of shape it was laughable to think he was still talking about winning a championship.

What has changed, except Charles gaining another 50 pounds?

Jordan and Olajuwon would both be 39 during the season.

Are you sure this is not the senior golf tour?

Jordan if he has the balls should keep the pick and make the best selection he can to upgrade the team, knowing he is likely to have a top 5 pick next year and about $15 million in cap room available as well.

That is what a really smart GM would do.

Now we get to see whether Jordan wants to be a GM or whether his ego has taken too much of a bruising seeing Bryant and Shaq get all the pub the past two years to force him to come back for a final hurrah instead, to the detriment of the team and its future.

With the new rules allowing quasi zone defense we can get away with Rip playing the point and we can benefit from a large back court that helps the perimeter game to an extent.

My vision of the bullets lineup:

PG=Hamilton

SG=Alexander

SF=Jordan

PF=K Brown- R

C= J White

------------------

Dave

a backcourt of Hamilton and Alexander will be exposed defensively by the better point guards in the NBA and you will see pressure defenses to cause turnovers from players that are not sure ball-handlers.

Even though Hamilton is 6'7 and athletic he is not Kobe Bryant or Scottie Pippen with the ball in his hands.

If that lineup comes to pass watch the turnover/assist ratio for these two. Then look up and see how many games the team has lost.

I guarantee you it will be over 50 again.

Hmm... I'm sitting here listening to Doug Collins swear up and down that they won't be trading Hamilton. The problem is, as other have mentioned, Hamilton and Alexander are both *cough* porous *cough* defenders, and they play the same position. Hamilton is an explosive scorer, hell, if you factor out his bench time at the beginning of the season, he averaged well over 20 a game. He's waaaay too light to play the 3. I've seen him listed at 6'6 180. That's just silly. It's very difficult to toss out someone with his offensive talent, but the team needs balance. We can't be shooting ourselves in the foot trying to play out of position all the time. We need a solid ballhandling PG to keep the turnover count down, and we need defensive presence. Someone in the mold of Doug Christie would be perfect.

BTW, does ANYONE know anything about Etan Thomas? He was drafted 1 pick after Courtney Alexander. Is this guy going to be a hidden gem, or the "Other" Derek Smith all over again?

Archived