Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who owns a plasma TV?

gridironmike

I've got a 53 inch Phillips rear projection unit right now. I'd like to upgrade and get one of the Gateway packages with the plasma unit and the PC, optimal sound, the works. Who owns a plasma and what brand? I know the Gateways are a lower resolution plasma unit than some of the others on the market, but much more affordable (if you can call that much money affordable).

I almost bought Plasma, but went with a Sony rear projection instead... the picture is impossible to distinguish from a 36 inch flat screen tv in terms of quality... rear projection has a bad rep... if you go Sony or Toshiba, they are awsome.

Originally posted by stackman

I have been looking at them for a while, but can not justify the price. I have heard some negative this about picture quality for high def. This is a good site to read up on them.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/index.html

The new hitachi's and toshiba's are the best rear projection sets out today. Many plasma will not have the scan rate to show true HI- Def.

I bought a 47' Panasonic rear projection last year for about $1800 and spent a lot of time tweaking the picture. I have a high def box for Directv and a outdoor antenna for locals. Once you have watched a NFL game in hi-def you never want to go back to standard tv. Hell,even the FOX games in progressive widescreen look great,not to mention Nascar in true 5.1 dolby surround.

I have wanted to ask the knowlegeable people on this board about widescreen TV's for awhile but just haven't.

My main concern is will this be obsolete in about 5 yrs with the new HDTV. We have Adelphia Digital right now but will I need to buy a HDTV box in 5 years to get the programming.

I'm on the fence right now trying to decide between Sony and Hitachi 51" widescreens. The Hitachi has 5 lens elements where the Sony only has 4, but I've always had good luck with Sony products.

Anybody have suggestions?

Originally posted by just skins baby

My main concern is will this be obsolete in about 5 yrs with the new HDTV.

I thought all broadcasting was to be switched to HDTV by the year 2006 ... 3 years away instead of 5. Am I wrong on this?

Widescreen = HDTV

HTDV = Widescreen

If anything the 4:3, otherwise known as the NTSC Standard, which is still prevalent today, will become obsolete as HDTV becomes the standard in a few years. Since most of the network programming is still in 4:3 format those televisions are still sold at a greater rate than widescreen boxes. Many of the current model 4:3 televisions offer a 16:9 format. I myself find this unacceptable because it results in wide black bands at the top and bottom of the screen. On the other hand, the widescreen televisions will give you bands at the sides when displaying a 4:3 picture. All of the widescreen televisions will give you a couple of options to deal with this. Basically it's called stretch mode. It takes a little getting used to at first but after a few hours the stretch is unnoticeable for most viewers.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

I have wanted to ask the knowlegeable people on this board about widescreen TV's for awhile but just haven't.

My main concern is will this be obsolete in about 5 yrs with the new HDTV. We have Adelphia Digital right now but will I need to buy a HDTV box in 5 years to get the programming.

I'm on the fence right now trying to decide between Sony and Hitachi 51" widescreens. The Hitachi has 5 lens elements where the Sony only has 4, but I've always had good luck with Sony products.

Anybody have suggestions?

I would go for the Hitachi over the sony. For more info try this website

www.hometheaterspot.com

I am a home theater addict ,and would be glad to help, like the Kurp says widescreen is the way to go.

Try going to www.antennaweb.org

There is a good chance that you can get over the air HD in your area. With a antenna and set top box you could be watching a lot of HD.

Thanks for all the replys.

My wife has given the go ahead and I will check out Circuit City in the next couple of days.

I was really impressed with the Hitachi picture compared to the Sony which looked awfully dark.

I've been looking since October of last year, but I am just to tight to spend the money. Now if it was my wife wanting it, we would have it by now.

Archived