Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Savings Bonds

Drop

anyone else have a ton of savings bonds from when they were kids or do you have someone who CONSTANTLY buys you savings bonds instead of cash or an actual gift?

My grandmother has been giving me savings bonds every year for my B-Day and Christmas since i was a baby. I'm 26 now and she STILL gives me savings bonds that won't even fully mature until i'm close to 50, lol. I'm not complaining, it's pretty cool to have a lil something to fall back on if things get real rough. It's just crazy thinking that i have savings bonds now that won't mature for another 30 years.

So, anyone else have a bunch of savings bonds? Anyone WORRIED tabout their savings bonds because of the economy??

My grandfather got me I-Bonds which are already worth the dollar amount on the bond they just accumulate interest over time. From when I was like 10 to now he would get me a savings bond each year for my birthday and christmas. Like 6 months back when I was buying a car I cashed all of them.

My grandfather got me I-Bonds which are already worth the dollar amount on the bond they just accumulate interest over time. From when I was like 10 to now he would get me a savings bond each year for my birthday and christmas. Like 6 months back when I was buying a car I cashed all of them.

You didn't let them mature?? I'm guessing they could have been worth far more than you cashed them in for.

You didn't let them mature?? I'm guessing they could have been worth far more than you cashed them in for.

Well for example..

one of the I-bonds he got me in like 2003 for $100.00. I went to the bank and got like $118.00 for it. Now do that for like 8 bonds and it added up quickly...I know I could have had more if I had waited but I was buying a decent car with cash and wanted as much as I had....

I get 2 $100 bonds for my 2 kids every month. I get the bonds taken out of my payroll every 2 weeks. I have been doing it for 3 years. I got about 75 of them now in my safe. Hopefully it will be enough to take care of college for them.

Incredibley smart move on your part. You're a good dad.

There isn't any magical maturity date which provides a big bonus for waiting. Series EE and Series I savings bonds (2 of the more popular types) both earn approximately 3% interest per year. The only difference is that if you have a Series EE bond with a $100 value printed on it, it actually cost the buyer $50 and so over 20 years or so will approach the $100 value. A Series I bond with a $100 value actually cost $100. You can google savings bonds and get to a site (somewhere in US Treasury website I think) and get a calculator to see how much each bond is worth.

There isn't any magical maturity date which provides a big bonus for waiting. Series EE and Series I savings bonds (2 of the more popular types) both earn approximately 3% interest per year. The only difference is that if you have a Series EE bond with a $100 value printed on it, it actually cost the buyer $50 and so over 20 years or so will approach the $100 value. A Series I bond with a $100 value actually cost $100. You can google savings bonds and get to a site (somewhere in US Treasury website I think) and get a calculator to see how much each bond is worth.

No but there is a date at which the bond stops maturing and hits a ceiling i believe. I can't remember which kind i have, but i've used an online value calculator once before to find out how much mine are worth.

Quite a few of my relatives started giving me savings bonds for Christmas/Birthday when i was little, which sucked when i was a kid, but i have a good pile of money waiting on me now.......I havent checked the value of them in a while though. I know a few of them have accumalated more than face value, so more the better!! I'm not touching them until i have to.

Archived