Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why doesn't Jason Taylor play more coverage?

vigilante

I remember watching some Miami games a couple seasons ago and they had Jason Taylor drop back into zone coverage as a defensive end. He actually caught a few interceptions because of this.

I think we should do this occasionally during games. It would be a good trickery scheme. It's clear to me that JT has indeed lost a step (maybe due to the knee injury). But since our pass rush is horrid so why not do some surprises defensively?

my :2cents:

Well, when he was in... I wondered the same thing. We didn't use him nearly as much as the Dolphins in coverage. I think it may have had to do with his injuries, though I'm not too sure dropping back in coverage is somehow more taxing than coming off the edge... :whoknows:

I think it's safe to assume this is because of his injuries. Jason has never been completely healthy other than preseason and that is just vanilla defense.

Injuries have limited Jason's snaps and he has been used primarily as a pass rusher. If he ever gets healthy this season I don't think it would be a surprise to see some zone blitzes.

he actually drops back into coverage every time he tries rushing the QB... does his speed rush on the edge, gets pushed back and then drops back looking for the swat.. be it his age, injuries or lack of off-season prep, guy has shown no ability to drive anyone back, draw double teams or even chips...

I'm praying for a late season surge by JT... would be HUGE for our team to get a threat of a pass rush, sending only 4..

Archived