Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Game Center: Redskins vs. Lions

Santana_Fan

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29634&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter

The Lions defense will be challenged against the NFL's leading rusher, Clinton Portis.

Last meeting

Washington QB Jason Campbell threw for 248 yards and two touchdowns in a Week 5 thrashing of the Lions last season, 34-3.

Streaks

The Redskins have won 18 of the last 20 meetings to extend their series dominance over the Lions to 26-10. Check out the historical matchup of the last five games.

Last week

The Redskins survived a late Browns rally and held on for a 14-11 victory. ... The Lions fell behind 21-0 and were never able to overcome that early deficit in a 28-21 loss to the Texans.

Keep your eye on ...

Balance on the Redskins offense: In recent weeks, the Redskins have leaned more heavily on Clinton Portis and the running game. While the rusher has produced at a very high level, he is beginning to show signs of wear and tear with some nagging injuries that have cost him practice time. Washington will need Campbell and the passing game to lower the burden being placed on Portis.

Johnson as a No. 1: After last week's trade of Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson stepped into the role as the team's unquestioned top receiver. He responded with a 96-yard touchdown catch against Houston, but will face a stiffer test against the Redskins' talented secondary.

The starting gates: Detroit has been outscored 54-0 in the first quarter this season. Though they have often been able to come back and make games competitive, they have yet to overcome those early deficits and get a victory. A strong start would help the Lions gain some confidence that they can break into the win column.

Did you know?

Portis has gained over 120 yards on the ground in four straight games. ... Redskins DE Andre Carter had his only career safety in last year's meeting. ... Lions RB Kevin Smith is one of five rookies to be leading his team in rushing. ... The Lions defense has eight sacks in its past two games.

Me too, wouldn't know what to say if we gave another W to a winless team. It does seem like we played a lot tougher this year in our away games. We played more intense in the away games.

Yeah they do I guess because the pressure is not as great on the road. But they have always have had the tendency to play down to teams as long as I can remember.

Yea, that's a good point. I hope this can be the first blowout game.

I hope so too but more than likely it will be a close game just not sure if this team has that killer instinct. I think this is a grinding out type of team they going to play it very close and do just enough to get a win.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29634&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter

The starting gates: Detroit has been outscored 54-0 in the first quarter this season. Though they have often been able to come back and make games competitive, they have yet to overcome those early deficits and get a victory. A strong start would help the Lions gain some confidence that they can break into the win column.

Of all the points made, i think this one could be the biggest key to the game. And what it doesn't mention is that for the past four games (and most of the season in fact), the redskins have been extremely slow starters. The skins have been outscored in the first quarter this season 31-17, and in the past four games they have only scored 7 points in the first quarter (and that was off a gimmie TD following a turnover in the rams game).

So, given the Lions knack of falling behind early (then coming back to make some games competitive), and the Skins inability to score much in the early going...if the Skins don't get on the scoreboard early and assert some sort of dominance, that COULD result in a shift of confidence over to the Lions bench...and make this game yet another down to the wire photo finish that we're all dreading.

Archived