Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another Spurrierism - Sort of

GatorEye

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34293-2003Apr24.html

. . . Spurrier said he settled a dispute between guards Randy Thomas and Tre Johnson about which would get to wear No. 77 next season by awarding the number to Thomas, who signed with the club for next season first and is a starter. "The way I've always done it is, the guy who is the starter, he gets the number if they both want it," Spurrier said. "I've never been around a place where the numbers are so touchy."

I guess that brings his true feelings to the forefront - he could care less about numbers. Makes sense since he never wanted his retired at Florida and refused to retire anyone else's. Kinda feel bad for the Big Banga though. He should have settled it by not giving it to either of them if it was going to be that big of a deal.

I thought they should have arm wrestled for it. Better man wins. I kind of side with Tre only that he has worn that number on the 'skins for many years, but I also agree that a number shouldn't be a big deal. It's strange what people get attached to.

I can see why some get attached to their number. It's the same as getting attached to one's handle. For example, if someone used "Baculus" before I did, I'd get annoyed. (This has yet to happen, though--don't let the "1" after my name fool ya, I just forgot the password for my first one!) After a point, the player identifies with the number and probably, to them, sees the number as a representation of themselves.

Who do you think of when you hear #44, #28, #81, as a few examples? In the grand scheme of things the player, not the number, matters. But really, numbers do matter, and they matter to the player, especially if they've had this number for years.

I would have let Tre keep #77; he's been here longer and it's been his number on this team.

At least IMHO. :-)

~B.

I think Spurrier is a pragmatist. Think about it. Retiring numbers is ultimately going to go away. There are only so many numbers. Assuming the apes don't really take over planet Earth, the NFL is going to be around for a long, long, time. I really don't think teams are going to start using 3 digit numbers for players a century from now.

'Number 133 is back to pass.....he hits number 446 coming out of the backfield with a perfect bullet!'.

This is much ado about nothing in my book. I imagine Spurrier is more focused on putting together a winning season than massaging players egos.

Originally posted by Tarhog

This is much ado about nothing in my book. I imagine Spurrier is more focused on putting together a winning season than massaging players egos.

I hope so. I think he's got to be wondering the same thing. We're no where near the start of the season and guys are already worrying about what number they are wearing. I hope they are just as concerned about learning the playbook and how to hold without getting called for it. :D

Archived