Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The next Redskins safety: Brannon Condren

darrelgreenie

IMHO the Redskins should look at signing Brannon Condren, formerly of the Colts and Rams, for quality depth at safety. (A day after being let go by the Colts, Condren was claimed off waivers by the St. Louis Rams on August 31, 2008. He was waived on October 10.)

Here's a blip on how/why the Colts drafted him:

4. (131) Brannon Condren, SS

Blogged under Bloglockers, The Draft Report, Front Page, General Colts Chatter by dawgpounded on Sunday 17 June 2007 at 10:34 am

The Colts needed help with run defense so they drafted Condren who’s a big guy (6′0″, 208 pounds) and he’s fast (4.47 40). Condren wasn’t expected by many to get drafted but Tony Dungy is a pretty good judge of defensive talent so only time will tell if this was a good pick or not. He played in 47 games (24 starts) at Troy State, and he made 175 tackles, 10 tackles for a loss, had 1 sack, forced 1 fumble, recovered 1 fumble, broke up 11 passes and had 2 interceptions. Look for Condren to help out in the box against the running game and to be a good special teams player.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:sEXGf8VGRukJ:www.coltslocker.com/2007/06/17/4-131-brannon-condren-ss/+Brannon+Condren+40+time&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

You might be thinking that the name seems vaguely familiar. He played for the Colts in the hall of fame game.

7. Brannon Condren, S: I didn’t know much about him. I knew he was pretty good at special teams, but as a safety, I assumed that he wasn’t a big hitter and more of a ball-hawking safety. I was wrong. He was hitting hard last night. He played like Matt Giordano, which is good for a player that will be a special teamer.

http://naptownsfinest.com/2008/08/04/hall-of-fame-game-recap/

Since the Redskins seem to be looking for safeties i figured i'd throw my

:2cents: so ya'll can bash me. But, before you do at least hear me out and go to the links.

CON093438.jpg

Brannon Condren | #42 | DB

St. Louis Rams | Official Team Site

Height: 6-1 Weight: 205 Age: 25

Born: 8/19/1983 Fort Walton Beach , FL

College: Troy State

Experience: 2nd season

High School: J.M. Tate HS [Fort Walton Beach, FL]

Brannon Condren's draft profile:

the kid runs a 4.4

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:CFPGpVSd6EkJ:www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php%3Fpyid%3D18306%26draftyear%3D2007%26genpos%3DSS+Brannon+Condren+ranking&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

First you might ask, Why did he get cut then? It appears he was a casualty of the numbers game there at safety with Sanders, Bethea, Bullit, Giordano, Ratliff and draftee Jamie Silva. Tony Dungy seems to have an eye for drafting DBs (go figure) and by all accounts he was having a good preseason:

Colts Safety Condren Continues to Have Strong Preseason/Training Camp

“He’s playing a little more relaxed,” Dungy said. “He’s a little more comfortable and his athletic ability is coming out. The things “When the game slows down and you feel like you’re in the right place, you can play aggressively. That’s what’s happening for Brannon as well.”

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=57d89d8c-8204-464e-b225-de8fbe157c32

^^CHECK OUT THE ARTICLE IN THE LINK ITS A GOOD ONE^^

On the defensive side, many people thought DB Brannon Condren played his way onto this team in the preseason, but I think simply the experience of Keiwan Ratliff prevailed.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:FFYb7Zq8YwgJ:naptownsports.wordpress.com/+Brannon+Condren+40+time&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=18&gl=us

Probably the biggest surprise cuts were DT Colin "Not the sh*tty actor" Ferrell and Brannon Condren. Condren was the one that shocked me the most. He had an excellent training camp, and really looked like he was developing into a good safety

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2008/8/30/604580/the-indianapolis-colts-53

Crap, i just saw this on Wiki:

Miami Dolphins

Condren was signed by the Miami Dolphins on October 14, 2008.

:cheers:

Because, you know, we need another young, inexperienced safety on this team. :rolleyes:

You probably didn't read the whole post huh? Its a moot point really, but for the sake of discussion Condren by all accounts is a good young safety with upside, not unlike Reed when was pressed into playing time last year or Horton now. And Condren although young he is a 2nd year player and not a rookie and therefore has more experience then Moore.

Listen to coach Dungy, who happens to be a decent judge of DBs:

Condren, a fourth-round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, played mostly on special teams last season, but impressed coaches throughout the offseason and training camp with his increased awareness and confidence, Dungy said.

“He’s playing a little more relaxed,” Dungy said. “He’s a little more comfortable and his athletic ability is coming out. The things that we saw him do and the plays he made in college – you’re just waiting for him to relax and make those. And he is showing it.

“When the game slows down and you feel like you’re in the right place, you can play aggressively. That’s what’s happening for Brannon as well.”

Is upside and inexperience better then experience, injury and possible decline? The later seems like a lesson the Skins learn over and over and over and over..

I did read what you have to say. Course, what I see is a guy who didn't make the Colts roster for a second go-around and was inactive the whole time he was with the Rams. While he has potential, potential isn't what we need right now, because we have plenty of that on the roster. What we don't have is an experienced guy who can step in if one of our young guys goes down. (and with Horton being a little banged up, that is a concern.)

I mean we let a guy who had potential go in Hamilton, who was also big and athletic. Why get rid of him to get a similar guy?

Jason

The Field Goal Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO the Redskins should look at signing Brannon Condren, formerly of the Colts and Rams, for quality depth at safety. (A day after being let go by the Colts, Condren was claimed off waivers by the St. Louis Rams on August 31, 2008. He was waived on October 10.)

Here's a blip on how/why the Colts drafted him:

Your title is mis-leading, it is as if the Redskins were signing him or bringing him in for a look. It was just an opinion of yours, epic-k fail thread. Already signed by another team anyhow.

The OP went to all that work to post facts, stats and quotes, but failed to find this:

Dolphins | Condren signed

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:43:16 -0700

The Miami Dolphins have announced they have signed free-agent CB Brannon Condren (Rams). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Going by the time stamps, this thread was started AFTER he signed with Miami.

If an Aussie knows what is going on within the NFL, the OP better not give up his day job!

The OP went to all that work to post facts, stats and quotes, but failed to find this:

Dolphins | Condren signed

Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:43:16 -0700

The Miami Dolphins have announced they have signed free-agent CB Brannon Condren (Rams). Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Going by the time stamps, this thread was started AFTER he signed with Miami.

If an Aussie knows what is going on within the NFL, the OP better not give up his day job!

Read the last line of his post.

My point still stands that this thread was created AFTER the player had signed with a new team.

The Brannon Condren signing wasn't exactly front page news mate.

I found out he signed with the Dolphins in the last of the web sources about him that i checked, hence i listed his signing at the end of the OP, but after writing the post i figured i might as well post it. (Google his name you'll have to look for awhile before you find he signed with the dolphins)

Your title is mis-leading, it is as if the Redskins were signing him or bringing him in for a look. It was just an opinion of yours, epic-k fail thread. Already signed by another team anyhow.

Of course the title is mis-leading, the point is to get people to read the post is it not? Its something i learned from reading this board. In the first line of the OP i state that the post is my opinion (IMHO) no where do i even imply the Redskins are bringing him in for a look:

I wanted to spark some conversation about a player that i thought would be a good look at safety. Afterall this is a fan forum and this is what fans do, speculate. Anyway....

I found out he signed with the Dolphins in the last of the web sources about him that i checked, hence i listed his signing at the end of the OP, but after writing the post i figured i might as well post it. (Google his name you'll have to look for awhile before you find he signed with the dolphins)

They're on to you Brannon! RUN!!!!!!!!

:silly:

Or, you can subscribe to KFFL and have any NFL news emailed to you as soon as it happens. I knew of him signing with Miami very early on Wednesday morning (Aust time). Keep in mind that we are 16 hours ahead, so going by the time stamps, he was a Dolphin quite a few hours BEFORE you started this thread.

Still, for mine, this thread is more for the ATNFL forum.

Archived