Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Turnovers Killed Us

Nafniksder

I would first like to say this is my first thread that I have started since being here on ES. I knew it was a bad omen when Cooley had our first turnover of the season. However I think this team will bounce back, what pissed me off was the tunovers that we commited in this game.

For weeks now I felt that Cooley had been kind of careless with the ball when trying to get yards after the catch. I didn't really say anythting because we were winning and he hadn't had any turnovers. Then Casey Rabach has the bad snap, for Christ sake it's you freaking job to snap the damn ball. The killer was Pete Kendall though, broken play he gets a lucky bounce. Just take a damn knee, why is my LG trying to advance the ball. I really feel like this play was the difference in the game, we were in field goal range and they get a touchdown to end the half. This has ruined my week but I'm still confident in this team, just letting off some steam what do guys think?

Turnovers will do you in every time. But the players are human, they make mistakes. And as many have said **** happens.

I disagree with all the monday morning QB's in regards to the play calling.

Zorn called his game. Its tough to take shots down field when the OL gives up 4 sacks. Our offense is not geared to taking too many long passes. We played it right, they got acouple breaks, and the turnovers killed us.

I will say this about the punter, I have been all for giving him some time, but there has to be something done. Now that said, its not entirely his fault, yes his punts were short, but there are ten other guys out there.

Brooks did kick one 51 yards, and they returned it 34 yards.

But its still about the turnovers.

It was a combination of turnovers and a lack of effort put in on offense that contributed to the loss. The defense held its own until Mr. Torrences lack of presence on that play. The offense looked like it was a practice day until it really mattered. They cannot lose to a team like that they should have blown the Rams out. I bet they do not take a team like this lightly again.. Lets see what they do next weekend.

It was a combination of turnovers and a lack of effort put in on offense that contributed to the loss. The defense held its own until Mr. Torrences lack of presence on that play. The offense looked like it was a practice day until it really mattered. They cannot lose to a team like that they should have blown the Rams out. I bet they do not take a team like this lightly again.. Lets see what they do next weekend.

3 turnovers and breakdowns in pass protection killed too many drives. The fumble return for a TD was potentially a 14 point swing in points.

I agree we came out flat, when we got that first fumble and scored a touchdown we should have jumped all over these guys. We kept shooting ourselves in the foot with missed opportunites.

I agree we came out flat, when we got that first fumble and scored a touchdown we should have jumped all over these guys. We kept shooting ourselves in the foot with missed opportunites.

Absolutely yes.

The most telling statistic in terms of wins and losses in the NFL is turnovers. We won in many stat categories but lost in the one which matters most.

The Kendall play was so bizarre, let's set it aside for a moment, even though it was a big play. Take away turnovers by Cooley and Rabach, two offensive players who should know better, and we're up 21-10 or something like that at half (this score includes the Kendall play). This would have deflated the spirits of the Rams, who are used to losing.

Conversely, if the defense hangs on to one of those dropped interceptions, you have a different, if messier, game.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.

No they didn't. Jim Zorn and his unwillingness to call deep pass routes killed us. He went conservative and refused to adapt and pass deep. He let the rams stack the box early while he ran 5 yard routes. It was a joke. Spurrier got fired for this, yet everyone gives Zorn a pass on this game. He stunk the joint up with his high school offense. Don't blame the turnovers. Even with them, we should have put 35 points on this abismal team.

Also, it's his job to get them prepared to play. Nobody looked like they wanted to play until the 4th quarter. This entire game is on the coaching staff.

Don't even get me started as to why Torrence was man on man with no safety help on a 3rd and 13 with 2 minutes left. Why were there not 8 people back on that play? Stupid coaching, that's why. Notice how Bulger and the Rams went deep to win it?

Chief, I know you're hot brother, but this one comes down to the fluke TD on Kendall's brainfart, two other turnovers that stopped promising drives, and two dropped lost opportunity gift INT's we dropped.

No, the O wasn't crisp--particularly the OL, which looked like it never really got started after the effort of the last two weeks--but not even great teams overcome that many crucial turnovers and lost opportunities often. And no one with their brain turned on thought going in that the Redskins are a great team. Not yet.

If you didn't proclaim them great after the Dallas and Philly shows of strength, you can't now call them **** after the Ram letdown.

we just did not come to play today with our heads in the right place. 3 turnovers and 2 huge dropped INTs. the rams are an abysmal team. they racked up 200 total yards, no offensive touchdowns, and 43 of those 200 yards came during one of the last plays, a desperation heave that anyone other than leigh torrence blocks. we moved the ball easily, 368 yards is impressive, 2 TDs from portis at 6.1 a click, campbell was moving the ball through the air, but TURNOVERS lost this game. our head was not in the right place. this team is still very good, and im not worried in the least. i knew this game would be close, this had tennessee titans 2006 written all over it.

at least dallas lost too.

Chief, I know you're hot brother, but this one comes down to the fluke TD on Kendall's brainfart, two other turnovers that stopped promising drives, and two dropped lost opportunity gift INT's we dropped.

No, the O wasn't crisp--particularly the OL, which looked like it never really got started after the effort of the last two weeks--but not even great teams overcome that many crucial turnovers and lost opportunities often. And no one with their brain turned on thought going in that the Redskins are a great team. Not yet.

If you didn't proclaim them great after the Dallas and Philly shows of strength, you can't now call them **** after the Ram letdown.

I know what you are saying OM, but good teams don't let those things happen. Too many 2004 Raiders/Chargers memories. We should have come out and punched them in the mouth. We still have a long way to go to be considered a good team. This loss makes the wins in Dallass and Philly look like a fluke.

No they didn't. Jim Zorn and his unwillingness to call deep pass routes killed us. He went conservative and refused to adapt and pass deep. He let the rams stack the box early while he ran 5 yard routes. It was a joke. Spurrier got fired for this, yet everyone gives Zorn a pass on this game. He stunk the joint up with his high school offense. Don't blame the turnovers. Even with them, we should have put 35 points on this abismal team.

Also, it's his job to get them prepared to play. Nobody looked like they wanted to play until the 4th quarter. This entire game is on the coaching staff.

Don't even get me started as to why Torrence was man on man with no safety help on a 3rd and 13 with 2 minutes left. Why were there not 8 people back on that play? Stupid coaching, that's why. Notice how Bulger and the Rams went deep to win it?

stupid coaching and play calling gets us 368 yards? thats pretty ridiculous. the only thing i disagreed with zorn on today was taking cooley out on 3rd downs too often. hes a possession magnet, why he was on the sidelines on 3rd downs was a mystery. he called a great game today, our 3 offensive turnovers lost this game for us. imagine if we'd even turned the ball over once over the past 4 games. we'd probably be sitting at 2-3 or worse.

turnovers = game killers. that and pete kendall pretending hes ladanian tomlinson.

Good teams don't let what things happen ... turnovers? Come on PJ. The Rams played scrappy and with nothing to lose, caught us in a letdown week offensively, got every conceivable break including a gift touchdown and stole a last-second long distance FG upset from a team that dominated most of the play.

Sometimes teams lose games.

If this happens again next week, then we can start worrying it's a sign of things to come. Right now it's a stubbed toe they will hopefully use as a learning experience.

Stay medium, folks.

we just did not come to play today with our heads in the right place. 3 turnovers and 2 huge dropped INTs. the rams are an abysmal team. they racked up 200 total yards, no offensive touchdowns, and 43 of those 200 yards came during one of the last plays, a desperation heave that anyone other than leigh torrence blocks. we moved the ball easily, 368 yards is impressive, 2 TDs from portis at 6.1 a click, campbell was moving the ball through the air, but TURNOVERS lost this game. our head was not in the right place. this team is still very good, and im not worried in the least. i knew this game would be close, this had tennessee titans 2006 written all over it.

at least dallas lost too.

You can talk all that crap about their heads not being in the right place, I agree. Your head is not in the right place if you can't snap the freaking ball when you are a professional and that is what you are paid to do. Your head is not in the right place when you have the first down and you lose the ball being careless with it. Your head is not in the right place when the play is broken and you try to make something when nothing is there when you can just take the loss of down and try to get it the next play. Bottom line is eliminate those turnovers and we win, people try to make it like it is something else.

It is that simple people, turnovers were the determining factor in that game period. I don't care if you play Pop Warner, High School, College, or the Pros. If have three turnovers you deserve to lose, thats sloppy piss poor football.

It is that simple people, turnovers were the determining factor in that game period.

I disagree. Football is never that simple.

You could call anything the determining factor in a tight game like that. How about field goals? They had four, we only had one.

Good teams generally score more TDs than their opponents. Good teams generally win the turnover battle. TDs are worth seven. The average turnover is worth four.

Ever hear anybody cry "We gotta win the touchdown battle!"

How about the expert analyst saying, "The key to the game is to score more touchdowns that your opponents."

By the way, how easy were those dropped interceptions? I missed the game.

Those INTS looked like our guy was the intended receiver and Bulger was throwing them directly at Landry and Fletch. I don't think I saw a Ram player within ten yards of those guys. We will probably never see a pair of easier ints in a game this season.

I disagree. Football is never that simple.

You could call anything the determining factor in a tight game like that. How about field goals? They had four, we only had one.

Good teams generally score more TDs than their opponents. Good teams generally win the turnover battle. TDs are worth seven. The average turnover is worth four.

Ever hear anybody cry "We gotta win the touchdown battle!"

How about the expert analyst saying, "The key to the game is to score more touchdowns that your opponents."

True, they had more scoring opportunities but we could of had more had we not turn the ball over. And what pissed me off was all those things were in our control. We were being careless like the Rams were just going to let us beat them. Not to mention the mometum we gave them, we just have to take care of the stuff we can control.

Good teams don't let what things happen ... turnovers? Come on PJ. The Rams played scrappy and with nothing to lose, caught us in a letdown week offensively, got every conceivable break including a gift touchdown and stole a last-second long distance FG upset from a team that dominated most of the play.

Sometimes teams lose games.

If this happens again next week, then we can start worrying it's a sign of things to come. Right now it's a stubbed toe they will hopefully use as a learning experience.

Stay medium, folks.

Yes, teams commit turnovers, but good teams find ways to overcome them most of the time. I wasn't one that proclaimed we were elite after the Philly game as some did. I stayed medium and predicted we'd beat them 27-14, unlike some who were predicting 45-10 and a SB trip. I know we're still in good shape at 4-2 and it helped that Dallass lost, but I'm afraid this game will come back to bite us in the butt when we need it to either win the division, get a better playoff seeding or an actual home game in the playoffs.

I was afraid they'd come out with nothing to lose and actually thought they might try an onside kick or fake punt. Just saying that in order for us to be mentioned with the good teams, we need to stop losing games we should win (Oakland 05, Tennesse 06, Buffalo 07 and Rams 08) and come out and establish ourselves right from the getgo.

I've been saying since yesterday that the Redskins are Lucy VanPelt and we the fans are Charlie Brown, trusting that Lucy will leave the ball on the ground just this one time, but knowing in the back of our minds she might yank it. Just seems like every year, if a team needs a win or a crucial win, the Redskins are the formula for what ails the other teams. Ah, I miss the old days when nobody, but nobody came into our house and beat us with luck or lack of effort on our part. You had to fight tooth and nail to win in RFK. We were never an easy win, no matter what our record was. Now, team either chalk up wins or use us as a springboard.

Archived