Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WOW!!! Very Impressed.......

MRGIBBS

Now that they won 2 division games away.

A couple of KEY items I want to hit upon that make us standout this year than those say from 5 years ago.

A

1. Defense-We started the game in a zone package. We didnt put any pressure on McNabb and he & Westbrook basically took us apart. 2nd Qtr, Blache made key adjustments in his defense, specifically going to man-to-man coverage and was very impressed with our linebacker play in that defense.

2. With 4 defensive starters out, our defense didnt miss a step. We have stopped 2 great running backs these past 2 weeks.

3. the 4th & 1 call was a true tell tale sign of how far the coaching staff has come. There is no way in the past we would have gone for it. We showed that we are playing to WIN.

3. the 4th & 1 call was a true tell tale sign of how far the coaching staff has come. There is no way in the past we would have gone for it. We showed that we are playing to WIN.

I would like to know more about that call. Here's what was in the Wash Post this morning in Boswell's column:

Faced with a game-on-the-line decision, "punt 'em back or go for it" on fourth and two, Zorn waved his offense back on to the field and called the formation.

But he didn't call the play!

"Clinton called the play," Zorn said.

Portis called his own number -- a draw out of the shotgun -- and plowed through five defenders for four yards, a first down, three take-a-knees and the Redskins' fourth straight victory.

"A huge, huge play. He willed his way for the first down," Zorn said. "It was his grit and our offensive line's grit that did it." Just like they did all day.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/05/AR2008100502188_2.html?sub=AR&sid=ST2008100502138&s_pos=

So how exactly does that work? Does Clinton interrupt the huddle and say "Dude, just give me the ball on the draw, I'm getting us this first down."

18104940animgifsmileybiye3.gif

Seriously. How does this work?

I would like to know more about that call. Here's what was in the Wash Post this morning in Boswell's column:

Faced with a game-on-the-line decision, "punt 'em back or go for it" on fourth and two, Zorn waved his offense back on to the field and called the formation.

But he didn't call the play!

"Clinton called the play," Zorn said.

Portis called his own number -- a draw out of the shotgun -- and plowed through five defenders for four yards, a first down, three take-a-knees and the Redskins' fourth straight victory.

"A huge, huge play. He willed his way for the first down," Zorn said. "It was his grit and our offensive line's grit that did it." Just like they did all day.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/05/AR2008100502188_2.html?sub=AR&sid=ST2008100502138&s_pos=

So how exactly does that work? Does Clinton interrupt the huddle and say "Dude, just give me the ball on the draw, I'm getting us this first down."

18104940animgifsmileybiye3.gif

Seriously. How does this work?

I think I heard Portis say that Zorn called the spread formation, and Portis came over to him on the sideline and said to call that play, then when Portis got back to the huddle and JC told them the play, Portis knew that Zorn trusted him, and he better get those yards.

First, more and more I think Blache runs a basic defense the first series to get an idea of what the Offense is going to throw at him. He has faith that our Offense can overcome anything that happens during the first and second series.

Second, I think its great Zorn has that much faith in his playmakers. He listens to what they have to say and what they see out on the field. That will pay divedends, because players will always see things the coach may not.

In the post-game interviews Skins defenders said that Philly ran plays they'd never seen from them in that opening possession. Reid scripts the first 15 plays and that opening drive used plays that are not in their normal offense. Once the script was done and the Eagles reverted to their actual offense, Blache and Co. held them without a first down for then next 28 minutes.

I think I heard Portis say that Zorn called the spread formation, and Portis came over to him on the sideline and said to call that play, then when Portis got back to the huddle and JC told them the play, Portis knew that Zorn trusted him, and he better get those yards.
Cool, thanks
In the post-game interviews Skins defenders said that Philly ran plays they'd never seen from them in that opening possession. Reid scripts the first 15 plays and that opening drive used plays that are not in their normal offense. Once the script was done and the Eagles reverted to their actual offense, Blache and Co. held them without a first down for then next 28 minutes.
Yes, I read that in the Post too. It's okay. It just made the win that much sweeter.

HTTR

Once the script was done and the Eagles reverted to their actual offense

Which I must say is quite pathetic. Dump to Westbrook in the flat. Screen to Westbrook, rinse, repeat. The few passes they did attempt downfield were not caught, so they go back to their pathetic bread and butter.

Here's what I am proud of.

The Redskins had 10 drives in the entire game.

1st Qtr

Drive 1 - Punt

Drive 2 - Punt

Drive 3 - FG

2nd Qtr

Drive 4 - FG

Drive 5 - FG

3rd Qtr

Drive 6 - PUNT (Randle El drops a 1st down)

Drive 7 - TD

Drive 8 - Punt (Devin Thomas 3rd down Offensive P.I. penalty that negates a Moss 1st down)

Drive 9 - TD

4th QTR

Drive 10 - Pounded the run into submission

END GAME.

Aside from the abismal 1st qtr, the Skins only had 2 more punts. Drive 6 was set back on a drop by ARE on 2nd down.

The other of those 2nd half punts were so because of a rookie mistake by Devin Thomas. Philly did not stop us on drive 6&8. We stopped ourselves.

Archived