Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Alchemy Produces Unexpected Results

bulldog

the 2007 Redskins finished the season with a united locker room and a chemistry the club had not had on the field since Gibbs I. with a top 10 defense, what Washington was missing most was a more consistent offensive attack, especially more playmaking ability from the qb position.

enter Jim Zorn.

the hope was that Zorn could re-energize the offense, help make Campbell a better quarterback, and utilitze Portis, Cooley and Moss more effectively than Al Saunders had in 2006 and 2007 WHILE not losing that team chemistry.

well, somehow he pulled it off. this team looks to be as 'together' as any Redskins squad I can remember since Gibbs I, all the doubters and haters like Brandon Lloyd are gone, and the team' offense is finally putting up the kind of game stats that you would expect with the Portis, Cooley and Moss core. Campbell's rating is close to 100.

it's a long season and a lot is yet to be revealed in the NFL.

the intangibles for the Redskins in my mind are:

1. Health - Springs, Taylor, Washington and Heyer all missed this game. Perhaps making for a more impressive win, but the team needs these players back for both their leadership and their productivity.

2. Rookies - the back end of the draft, Chris Horton and Kareem Moore, have been visible on special teams and the regular defense. it's time for Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Fred Davis to start to produce more than cameo rolls in succeeding games. Thomas has been very frustrating to watch because he has so much physical talent that is obvious to see, but he doesn't seem to be improving - making the same mistakes week after week. That has to stop. Imagine what this offense could do if there were #3 and #4 receivers that actually scared defenses :)

Great post Bulldog. I think there's an explanation for this, besides Zorn and Campbell being $$$ that is. Gibbs and Co. unwittingly put together and/or inherited a WCO team to run their vertical Air Coryell offense. Look at the players they brought in, CPo, Moss, Thomas, Kendall and Campbell all had their best years or at least spent a lot of time in WCO schemes. Interestingly, we had morphed into a similar dink and dunk attack that was fairly productive immediately prior to Saunders being brought in.

I think someone in the F.O. took a look at what Gibbs had put together and decided a WCO was the best fit for the players we currently have in house. Kudos to them for realizing it.

given what is happening in Seattle right now, one wonders in hindsight if some Seahawks fans are angry that Zorn wasn't given a chance to be promoted and Jim Mora was designated as the heir apparent without having proved much of anything as HC in Atlanta.

given what is happening in Seattle right now, one wonders in hindsight if some Seahawks fans are angry that Zorn wasn't given a chance to be promoted and Jim Mora was designated as the heir apparent without having proved much of anything as HC in Atlanta.

That whole offense in Seattle has fallen apart

The best thing with Zorn is that the team gets BETTER as the game goes along

In Gibbs 2.0 it was frustrating to watch the team fall apart in the 2nd half

When guys like Taylor, Washington and Springs are healthy and some production down the line from the 2nd round picks, this is going to be a very good team in the 2nd half

In particular with the schedule easing up a big and more home games

In hindsight maybe, but that's not the kind of thing you can get too worked up over.

It's like getting Horton in the 7th round (practically the "8th" round since he was a supplemental pick). That means 32 teams passed on him for a full six rounds. Are there some teams out there that are wishing they'd have spent their 6th or 7th rounder on him? I'm sure there are, but you just never know about the draft, and a head coaching search is similar in some ways.

Not to mention that Zorn wasn't originally brought in to be a head coach anyway.

This is a great post. I was just thinking about the chemistry that this team has. When they were going to give them team a day off on Monday, they told the Coach, no we want to practice. We want to continue what we have going. That, to me, speaks volumes.

Santana Moss, not getting a catch in the game...does he whine? No! instead in the game, he blocked his butt off! Helped a rookie to be heads up so we wouldn't get a 12-Men-In-The-Huddle Penalty. Or Cooley, who has pretty much done the same thing. We have a ton of players who are here to win, and not collect a paycheck.

Chemistry...it's a beautiful thing, whether we are winning or losing. In my opinion, I would rather be proud of my team then anything else (et al New England Patriots). The team winning is just soooo much nicer!

HTTR!

Archived