Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My article: Cowboys "fans"

RedskinsFan28

So after seeing the Dallas fans bombard ES within the last couple hours, I figured i'd post my little column I wrote on Facebook (nobody really read it, so hopefully I get more of an audience here.

Sunday will mark the first time I have been in the "DMV" for a Redskins-Cowboys game since I last visited for Christmas in 2004. Before my move to Phoenix, I was fully entrenched into every Redskins season, and of course I grew up during the timeframe where the Cowboys became "America's Team". The victories in Super Bowls XXVII, XXVIII, and XXX brought on a "Cowboys Phenomenom" and all of a sudden, people all over the United States were sporting Cowboys gear and swearing to be Cowboys fans. Fast forward 13 years, and the Cowboys enter this season with a talented team capable of winning Super Bowl XLIII. Supporters are showing their "Cowboy Pride" and are very confident heading into this Sunday's game versus the arch-rival Redskins. But I wonder: who are REAL Cowboys fans?

As you all know, I am a DIEHARD Redskins fan. I bleed burgundy & gold, and not even living 2300 miles away in the NFL's graveyard (Phoenix, AZ) could keep me away from reading up, watching-live as well as on television-, and following the Skins. I have loved them through the good years (Gibbs I, 1999, 2005, 2007) and definitely through the bad years (1993-1998, 2000-2004, 2006). I can recall solid draft picks over the years (Brian Mitchell, Chris Samuels, Chris Cooley) as well as tremendous busts (Heath Shuler, Rod Gardner, Andre Johnson to name a few). I can name role players and former starters throughout the years, and I have always been excited about EVERY game; always been optimistic, even during the numerous 6-10, 4-12, and 3-13 seasons. I know VERY FEW Cowboys "fans" who really know their team, or past draft picks or really pay attention to them for a 16-game seaon, not just games against NFC East rivals. Off of my head, I can name a few TRUE Cowboys fans: Jed, Jarrett, Ezekiel, and Ron come to mind, but I can't help but to think that these other "Cowboys fans" have arisen just to be antagonists to this wonderful Redskins community. That, or they are simply bandwagon fans; they go with the flow, and have been stuck on this franchise for the past decade-plus for some unknown reason. Maybe you all like blue & silver? a damn star on a helmet? Or you just can't give a good enough reason to root for the Redskins, so instad you root for their hated rival just to raise some eyebrows and ruffle a few feathers because it amuses you. I bet half of you can't name 3 quarterbacks who started for Dallas between Troy Aikman and Drew Bledsoe without the aid of Wikipedia, or give me this years starting lineups minus the big names. As for the older generation who saw the Cowboys and followed them in the days of White, Longley, and Staubach, they may be considered real fans, and could be the reason why this generation has foolishly been Cowboys fans, because the past 13 years have not been much more impressive than the Redskins. Hell, the Arizona Cardinals have more playoff wins than the Cowboys since 1996- and that ONE win came against (drumroll) DALLAS!!

I will reserve some judgment for younger fans (like the 4 names I mentioned earlier), but most of you are just plain sad & pathetic. I'm not saying to be the extreme diehard I am, but actually know some things about your team and bring some valid arguments and data to back up debates besides the old (and tired) "5 rings to 3", or "Yall hardly make it to the playoffs" (we have won 2 times in the playoffs the past 9 years in 5 games. Not bad compared to an 0-fer in 5 playoff games during the same time span for you guys). And as for being 11 1/2 point undersdogs, a SMART fan knows that is not gonna happen (last year Dallas was a 13 point favorite, yet barely got away with a 5-point victory). If the Redskins win, I don't wanna hear "yall finally won one"; we have won 4 of the past 6 games, including the last 3 at Fedex Field, along with a sweep in 2005. Slacking off in last year's season finale possibly cost you guys a trip to Super Bowl XLII. Losing this game could make Dallas re-think how mentally prepared and focused they really are, and if this will just be another season where you once again let overconfidence spell your end.

But no worries; you "fans" will hardly care anyways.

Good post, but I don't understand why everyone thinks that being a true fan is reserved for those old heads who walk 10 miles in the snow.

This is 2008, there are plenty of Cowboys fans who weren't alive to follow their team during the Landry years. I am one of them. If people want to call me out as a bandwagon fan, let them. It doesn't bother me.

You know...the irony is I posted this with you in mind

This was more written to mention how most current young Cowboys fans know nothing about the team besides what they hear on ESPN or by who has the highest ratings on Madden. I remember the 6-10 seasons Dallas had and you wouldn't hear much from any fan, and they would shrug it off like it was nothing. After seasons with Pettibon and Turner, I knew 4-12 and 6-10 seasons were a serious cause for concern. Maybe Cowboys fans only cared that the Boys beat the Redskins, seeing how that's all I would hear from them during those years. I could be very wrong about you, even though you referring how you jumped on the fanbase of the current hot team didn't sway my thinking much (of course we all saw that in the 90's with the Bulls and the Lakers in 2000-2003).

Like I wrote, some of these young fans are fans because it's what they see in their families. I just don't like it when I try to make a conversation with a Cowboys fan and the only name I hear are Romo sits to pee, Owens, Williams, etc. If you know your team, then drop some names not so well-known. Most of us Skins fans won't be fazed because we probably know more about the Cowboys than some of those fans.

...That and, since you're a Cowboys fan, I'm programmed to not like you for it, OLS.

You know...the irony is I posted this with you in mind

This was more written to mention how most current young Cowboys fans know nothing about the team besides what they hear on ESPN or by who has the highest ratings on Madden. I remember the 6-10 seasons Dallas had and you wouldn't hear much from any fan, and they would shrug it off like it was nothing. After seasons with Pettibon and Turner, I knew 4-12 and 6-10 seasons were a serious cause for concern. Maybe Cowboys fans only cared that the Boys beat the Redskins, seeing how that's all I would hear from them during those years. I could be very wrong about you, even though you referring how you jumped on the fanbase of the current hot team didn't sway my thinking much (of course we all saw that in the 90's with the Bulls and the Lakers in 2000-2003).

Like I wrote, some of these young fans are fans because it's what they see in their families. I just don't like it when I try to make a conversation with a Cowboys fan and the only name I hear are Romo sits to pee, Owens, Williams, etc. If you know your team, then drop some names not so well-known. Most of us Skins fans won't be fazed because we probably know more about the Cowboys than some of those fans.

...That and, since you're a Cowboys fan, I'm programmed to not like you for it, OLS.

Well, obviously I am not going to know the Cowboys history without the luxury of being able to experience it. But I have watched the history of the team and I feel like I know quite a bit about the Cowboys to not be considered a bandwagon fan.

Good post, but I don't understand why everyone thinks that being a true fan is reserved for those old heads who walk 10 miles in the snow.

This is 2008, there are plenty of Cowboys fans who weren't alive to follow their team during the Landry years. I am one of them. If people want to call me out as a bandwagon fan, let them. It doesn't bother me.

You aren't a bandwagon fan, but you are a ****ing traitor. Not surprising since you are from Hopewell though. Time to get back to work at the factory for you.

Well then enlighten us. Give us...3 role players (as I previously stated we already know the big names) who you think are key to tomorrow's victory-with valid evidence to back it up.

Role players:

Mat Mcbriar. The guy can boom the ball. If it so happens that we're in punting situations he needs to show up for our punting team. Downing the ball ideally inside the 10 but no more than the 15-20 would be great for us. Our team was suspect on punt coverage in the pre-season, so this could be big.

Tony Curtis/Martellus Bennett:

I believe it was Curtis last week, but whoever is manning the FB position for injured Deon Anderson to help provide some key blocks for our running game. We already know how well our OL *should* do.

Miles Austin:

I expect TO to be drawing the majority of the coverage. Miles showed up for us big time with his 2 long catches in the GB game. He could turn out to be the hero of the game if he can perform like this against the Redskins.

Those are my 3 for the Cowboys.

Nick Folk is usually golden on anything around or under 50 yards, the guy is great.

Patrick Watkins is definitely someone to watch out for. As would Roy if he was playing.

I remmeber Folk missing a FG last year against us in Dallas (between 48-51 yards). With the difference in our offense this season, those 3 points could be huge.

Before my move to Phoenix, I was fully entrenched into every Redskins season, and of course I grew up during the timeframe where the Cowboys became "America's Team". The victories in Super Bowls XXVII, XXVIII, and XXX brought on a "Cowboys Phenomenom" and all of a sudden, people all over the United States were sporting Cowboys gear and swearing to be Cowboys fans.

If you are such a Redskins expert then you would know the history of this rivalry better and how George Allen really made it intense in the back in the 70's when the Cowboys were branded "America's Team." The Cowboys did not become known as "America's Team" in the 90's. This was in the 70's and that label really fueled Allen's hatred for the Cowboys and helped make this one of the greatest rivalries in all of sports.

The 90's was when they're spot as America's team became concrete once agin after a subpar 80's. I'm well aware of their success in the 70's (we all know about their Super Bowl battles with the Colts and Steelers); I am also aware of my family in Arizona talking about being huge Cowboys fans back then, long before the Cardinals came to town and despite having the Raiders in the next state over. From 93-96, everyone got back on the Dallas train and with Jimmy Johnson (and that stupid "How bout dem Cowboys!" quote) and such animated players like Irvin, Deion, Haley, etc. Had the Cowboys not done anything in that timeframe, that "America's Team" label would've easily been transferred to the Pats.

I am well aware of how the Cowboys had the rights to "Hail to the Redskins" and used it basically as leverage to get votes to be instated. Marcus KNOWS his history.

Nice article, Redskinfan28. But, let's get one thing straight - The cowboys weren't named or branded (as one pukes fan said) "America's Team" - they Named/ Branded themselves... (aren't they special?)

Incorrect the term Americas team was bestowed by NFL films. Our FO management had nothing to so with it.

I hear ya, I think it's hilarious when I'm called a bandwagon fan....Hello, I think most Bandwagoners fell or jumped off the wagon during the Campo era, when we trotted out the likes of Clint Stoerner, Ryan leaf, Anthony Wright, Chad Hutchinson, Randal Cunningham(although he did help us beat the skins once) and Quincy Carter(Bill got a good year or so out of him). I can't remember any other QBs off the top of my head, sorry guys.

I'm 25 years old, wasn't born back in the late 60s, so sue me, but I haven't missed a game in 7 or 8 years(Thanks to the sunday ticket), and I live and breath the Dallas Cowboys.

I know there are some fairweather fans out there that ride the high times and sit out the bad ones.....thats pathetic, you are a fan through good times and bad, or you are a front runner.....plain and simple.

Oh yeah, good luck skins fans, you'll need it.....Tony Romo sits to pee is no Quincy Carter......Tho, I do think we'll see his twin out there tomorrow wearing #17.

Tony Romo sits to pee is no Quincy Carter......Tho, I do think we'll see his twin out there tomorrow wearing #17.

I guess you're the type of guy that thinks all black people look alike, because that is the ONLY thing those two have in common other than their jersey numbers...

I'll remind you that this is the same QB that lit up your Girls' secondary for 348 yards and two scores in THEIR house.

I guess you're the type of guy that thinks all black people look alike, because that is the ONLY thing those two have in common other than their jersey numbers...

I'll remind you that this is the same QB that lit up your Girls' secondary for 348 yards and two scores in THEIR house.

Thanks for trying to put words in my mouth. The comparison was that they both wear #17, and they both aren't very good Qbs. The only difference is that Cambell hasn't been shown the exit door of the NFL yet. In due time my friend, in due time.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, because thats what really matters, last year is in the past.

Archived