Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on the Dallas game (Deep Passing WCO)

darrelgreenie

I like the concept but not for this game, dg. Reason being Dallass has too explosive an offense to be on the field for long. They have proven themselves to be capable of quick-strikes. We OTOH, have not; outside of the Tana TD against the Saints we've been more dink-and-dunk than anything. I think we have to control the clock in this game more than in any other outside of the two against Philthy and the 2nd one against the Pukes. IMO that means long, sustained drives. Wear down their D and keep their O off the field.

I like the concept but not for this game, dg. Reason being Dallass has too explosive an offense to be on the field for long. They have proven themselves to be capable of quick-strikes. We OTOH, have not; outside of the Tana TD against the Saints we've been more dink-and-dunk than anything. I think we have to control the clock in this game more than in any other outside of the two against Philthy and the 2nd one against the Pukes. IMO that means long, sustained drives. Wear down their D and keep their O off the field.

I agree we have to take the Gibbs approach to the cowboys and slow the game down. Capitalize on explosive plays(some of the ones mentioned earlier in the thread) and after we build a lead play lights out defense. The DIFFERENCE between Gibbs and Zorn will hopefully be that instead of building a lead with field goals on the road, we build a lead with Tds. Red Zone production must be at its best!

I wouldn't be opposed to Zorn's ball control WCO out of a spread formation. Id like to see us spread them out with 4 WR and work the underneath stuff to the RB/TE (taking what the defense gives). This is how NE torched them last year with Kevin Faulk and Wes Welker, they were all over the place in the zone righ in front of or behind the LBs (who were playing zone)...of course you have to take the occasional shot down the field.

When i refer to deep passing WCO i'm refering more to the depth of the routes not just throwing long bombs. I'm refering more to the distance the pass travels in the air and the depth of the route. An example would be a 12-15 yard comeback pattern, deep out, deep in, posts, flags etc. *(Do you remember the pass to ARE in the Saints game that Campbell underthrew? The one that bounced? Those types of routes)

Good defenses like the Giants will squat on the short routes they will stand at the first down markers or even run a Cover 2. Have you noticed times when Campbell is throwing to Moss and there are defenders all around him? That is what happens when the D sits on a route. If the Cowboys are able to run a scheme that stops the run and covers the short passing game then i don't think we'll be able to have long drives unless we challenge them with more 5 step drop type routes. Denver, Seattle and Philly all run more plays where all the receivers except the running backs run patterns deeper then 10 yards. A quick strike touchdown would be great result, but i'm just hoping we challenge their secondary with our receivers.

:cheers:

Hey did the links work?

Archived