Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Split backfield: Portis & Betts

HeathShuler

I know we didn't get to see much of it (or much of anything offensively), but what did you all think of seeing both CP and LB in the backfield at the same time? I think there are some interesting things we could do with it, if the offense can ever get in sync. I just hope that happens sometime this season...

I know we didn't get to see much of it (or much of anything offensively), but what did you all think of seeing both CP and LB in the backfield at the same time? I think there are some interesting things we could do with it, if the offense can ever get in sync. I just hope that happens sometime this season...

It's a good idea. On one of those plays, Betts was open with some room to run, but Jason's pass was batted down.

It would certainly be better than Cooley missing blocks all the time. Cooley should not be blocking period.

He's a monster, though. He's really good blocking on a run, but sometimes, we have to keep him in. That's why he is so valuable for us. But, we need to run multiple TE sets with Davis or Yoder (heck, he can catch passes too) so defenses don't know who might be staying in to block.

As for the two-back idea, it's nice to think about, but how many times to NFL teams but both of their running backs in the backfield? They don't. I don't see the Redskins breaking this trend anytime soon. However, when you've got someone like Mike Sellers, who can run the rock as well, it helps out, too. He can get the ball at any time, and I wish the Skins would utilize him more as a ball carrier.

It would certainly be better than Cooley missing blocks all the time. Cooley should not be blocking period.

Cooley usually does a decent job of blocking but to expect him to consistently handle 2 strong DEs is expecting a little too much especially since he's a receiving TE. Honestly, Cooley should have been a bigger factor in the passing game but for some reason he wasn't being properly used.

But a split backfield would be effective but only if the OL blocking improves.

Archived