Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sportsline Power Rankings

skinsfan93

Because we kicked a FG in overtime.

Which doesn't change the fact that, with respect to how good of a team we are, we were tied with a 1-15 team at the end of regulation. In order words, wins can be deceiving. A legitimately competitive team does not tie the worst team in the league.

How come we can say that we tied a 1-15 team in the first game of the season (way before they became 1-15) before most teams have sorted out their identity for the season but we can't say that we were the second to last team to beat the Super Bowl champion New York Giants, not just in a meaningless game but in a game they would have liked to have had to sure up their postseason berth in their own house?

(I think that might be the longest run on question that I have ever asked.)

On the one hand, I agree that there are a lot of questions on this team (e.g., losing Gibbs, losing Greg Williams, going back to Campbell after playing w/a hot QB in Collins, implementing a new offense, rookie head coach, etc.). I think it's realistic--given these questions--to say that the Redskins present bigger question marks than the defending SB champs or the formerly 13-3 Cowboys. And say what you want about the Eagles, but even as a Dallas fan I believe McNabb, when healthy, is the most dangerous QB in the NFC, bar-none. And their coach, Reid, has done an amazing job of fielding a very competitive team for the past 6-7 years.

That being said, I do think a ranking of 25 is a bit unfair, if not a bit lazy. I think Prisco saw three teams he liked in the NFC East and assumed that the 4th team, the Skins, would finish last and therefore be mediocre. I don't think he seriously entertained the possibility that all 4 NFC teams (regardless of their final records) could be playoff caliber teams by regular season's end.

I do think the Skins' are no worse than the 6th or 7th best team in the NFC given their talent level (especially at the skill positions), and could definitely be better depending upon how quickly Campbell picks up on Zorn's offensive scheme. Just my :2cents:

Let's put this in perspective.

ESPN POWER RANKINGS 2007, WEEK 1

(Bold Teams = Playoff Teams)

1.) Patriots (actual record: 16-0)

2.) Colts (actual record: 11-5)

3.) Chargers (actual record: 11-5)

4.) Bears (actual record: 7-9)

5.) Ravens (actual record: 5-11)

6.) Saints (actual record: 7-9)

7.) Eagles (actual record: 8-8)

8.) Cowboys (actual record: 13-3)

9.) Broncos (actual record: 7-9)

10.) Seahawks (actual record: 10-6)

11.) Bengals (actual record: 7-9)

12.) Jags (actual record: 11-5)

13.) Steelers (actual record: 10-6)

14.) Jets (actual record: 4-12)

15.) Panthers (actual record: 7-9)

16.) 49ers (actual record: 5-11)

17.) Rams (actual record: 3-13)

18.) Giants (actual record: 10-6, SB Champs)

19.) Skins (actual record: 9-7)

20.) Dolphins (actual record: 1-15)

21.) Bills (actual record: 7-9)

22.) Titans (actual record: 10-6)

23.) Cards (actual record: 8-8)

24.) Packers (actual record: 13-3)

25.) Lions (actual record: 7-9)

26.) Chiefs (actual record: 4-12)

27.) Vikes (actual record: 8-8)

28.) Bucs (actual record: 9-7)

29.) Texans (actual record: 8-8)

30.) Raiders (actual record: 4-12)

31.) Falcons (actual record: 4-12)

32.) Browns (actual record: 10-6)

I think this speaks for itself. The most glaring one is probably the Browns at #32, who were a couple close games away from being a division winner.

Let the play speak for itself, and f**k the sports writers. Bring on the season! HTTR

Archived