Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Warpath Redskin Report

frankbones

I don't know if this has been posted yet,

Team Report: Washington Redskins

Team Report: Washington Redskins

By TSX/TheInsiders -- Posted Apr 7, 2003

The NFL schedule-makers weren't kind to the Washington Redskins.

The 2003 season opens with five of six opponents having reached last year's playoffs, and the sixth (New England) having just missed after tying for first in the AFC East (9-7).

Things lighten up considerably in the second half, but by then it might be too late for Washington.

Here's why: The Redskins enter this season with significant questions about chemistry and their starting quarterback position. A bad start could send them into a free-fall: Not only is this town known for intense scrutiny of this team, but players' questions about coach Steve Spurrier linger in the back of their minds.

Spurrier had a rough first year in the NFL, taking too much for granted and making a number of dubious decisions. He adjusted his methods in the season's final weeks, but by then players' frustrations with the coaching staff were well-known.

Washington might need a strong coaching presence to galvanize it through a rough start. Instead, it could struggle through an adjustment period and face--don't look now--a quarterback controversy.

This season was supposed to be the first under owner Dan Snyder in which the Redskins built on their previous season, rather than tore down much of the foundation and started over. Snyder finally retained his coaching staff after two years of shuffling, but defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis still departed and an enthusiastic trip through free agency has netted, so far, 11 veterans.

Once again, it will take time for everyone to adjust.

And that could mean trouble. Let's go game-by-game to open the season.

First up are the New York Jets, a team desperate for an opening victory after the Redskins showed them up during the offseason. Washington stole three key Jets (Laveranues Coles, Randy Thomas and John Hall) in free agency, and there remains a slim chance the team could pick up a fourth (Chad Morton).

Loss.

Then the Redskins play at Atlanta, a 2002 playoff team that appears to have bolstered its roster during the offseason. Probable loss. Then it's home against the New York Giants, another 2002 playoff team that seems to have upped itself in free agency. Another probable loss.

The slate then heads into a home game against the Patriots, on the road to Philadelphia and then back home for defending Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay. But it might be too late by that point.

That's because 0-3 or 1-2 will create turmoil and probably a quarterback controversy, unless second-year passer Patrick Ramsey is terrific in those games.

More than likely he'll be average as he makes his sixth, seventh and eighth NFL starts, and the owner (not to mention many fans) will be pressing to start veteran Rob Johnson. An unquestioned talent, Johnson already considers himself in a competitive situation even though Spurrier has said Ramsey is the undisputed starter.

The quarterback controversy has happened here before, in 2000 (when Jeff George backed up Brad Johnson), 2001 (when George was cut two weeks into the season and replaced by Tony Banks) and 2002 (when Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel and Ramsey rotated throughout the season).

No town relishes the turmoil of its NFL team or savors a good quarterback controversy like Washington. It appears the nation's capital will get both this season.

Doesn't have too much confidence in us does it?

so we are going to be 1-6 :( i do say the schedule is tough, but if Ramsey is better than last year, then I am not worried. We will win the Jets game, Synder will make sure of that somehow. We won't lose to the Giants or Atlanta, we should be better than those teams.

I dont see it.

Unless we suffer major injuries on the line and Ramsey's arm is B Johnson like more than likely we are 4-3 atleast.

Somehow our defense is supposed to what? suck?

Unless we get rid of Smoot we are still set as far as covering the top two WRs on the opposing teams and the defense may be ready to really shine

It sucks that we always get worse and everyone else gets better. At least according to the sportswriters.

Is it not possible that one or two of the teams we will face early on that are predicted to spank us will struggle? Is it also not possible that we play a couple of good games out of the gate?

I'm getting tired of always reading this $hit.:gus:

Since when was Rob Johnson an "unquestioned talent?" That sounds like a load of crap to me and anyone else who has seen him play.

And why would Snyder be clamoring for a change at the QB position when he loves Ramsey? Even with an 0-3 or 1-2 start....? Love how they assume the Jets are gonna win, but give us a better shot against the Falcons??? I don't get it. The Jets have done nothing to improve their team from last year and actually lost some key players. The Falcons have done the exact opposite...?

The Jets are very beatable after having been all but gutted by us. The Falcons are a beatable team, but with Michael Vick you never can tell.

That 2-0 start could end up making a world of difference. I forsee us surprising some people next season.

Archived