Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAtoday Redskin report

tonyriggins

The Redskins' much-hyped coaching staff the past couple of years included three former head coaches in Gregg Williams, Al Saunders and Joe Bugel working under Hall of Fame boss Joe Gibbs.

When Gibbs retired in January and Williams and Saunders were dismissed by Redskins owner Dan Snyder, it wouldn't have been a surprise if the 68-year-old Bugel had walked away with his two Super Bowl rings and a legacy as one of the game's greatest offensive line coaches. But the ever-enthusiastic Bugel opted to return for a 42nd season of coaching, 31st in the NFL and a 14th in Washington even though he's working for a boss, Jim Zorn, who's 13 years his junior.

All those numbers don't mean much to Bugel, who started 42-year-old Ray Brown at a playoff game against Zorn's Seattle Seahawks in 2005. Each member of Bugel's current five-man unit will be 31 by October and that's just fine with him.

"I like veteran guys, I really do," Bugel said. "They're smart. They've been in the system. You can't worry about age. It's how their health is and how they can play. Some of these young kids are up-down, up-down. A lot of those guys get saucer eyes. Going up against (Pro Bowl defensive end) Jason Taylor, they probably want to get his autograph."

That's not the case for tackles Chris Samuels (31) and Jon Jansen (32), guards Pete Kendall (35) and Randy Thomas (32) and center Casey Rabach (31 next month). And backups Jason Fabini (34 this month) and Todd Wade (32 in October) are still in the mix.

"I love the guys I'm coaching," Bugel said. "They keep me vibrant. They keep me young. I'm having a good time, I really am. I think I'm doing something good to be around that long. The teaching aspect is good. Get players who listen and you're in good shape."

Tight ends coach Rennie Simmons, a fellow member of Gibbs' title-winning staffs from the 1980s, said that Bugel hasn't changed since he was coaching "The Hogs" of Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby et al. And none one cares that Bugel was just 24-56 as coach of the Cardinals (1990-93) and Raiders (1997).

"There isn't anyone on our staff who has more respect than Joe Bugel," Zorn said. "He really kind of just walks around and you just want to be around him."

After two years in former coach Steve Spurrier's pass-happy scheme, Jansen was as disgusted that he wouldn't be able to play for new line coach Bugel in 2004 after rupturing his Achilles in the preseason opener as he was about facing months of rehabilitation.

"Buges is like a dad to us," Thomas said. "He gets the best out of you. He has taught me to be relentless, to set the tempo of the game."

CAMP CALENDAR: Two-a-days end on Aug. 14.

NOTES, QUOTES

—Here's how the Jim Zorn era got started: rookie Chris Horton recovered an onside kick; Jason Campbell passed eight yards to tight end Chris Cooley; third-string running back Rock Cartwright ran for 17; Campbell hit wide-open receiver Antwaan Randle El with a 20-yard touchdown pass.

"What more could you ask?" said receiver Santana Moss, who sprung Randle El by taking a cornerback and a safety with him. "Yeah, it's just preseason, but I don't think we're going to do anything less than this. All we can do is get better."

That didn't happen the next week as Washington followed its 30-16 victory over Indianapolis in the Aug. 3 Hall of Fame Game with a 17-14 escape of Buffalo on Aug. 9. But in any event, the Redskins are 2-0 in preseason for the first time since 2002, the last time they had a first-year NFL head coach, Steve Spurrier.

After the victory over the Colts, running back Rock Cartwright, one of just five players from Spurrier's last season, said there is a major difference.

"We showed everything we had then," Cartwright said. "Tonight, we ran the same stuff over and over."

—Quarterback Jason Campbell, who had a 125.6 rating after two games, was pleased that right tackle Jon Jansen was beaten for a sack by the Colts Raheem Brock during his second series because he wanted to see how his knee would withstand its first contact since he missed the final four-plus games of 2007 with a dislocated left kneecap.

"I was glad I got hit," Campbell said. "Got it out of the way so now I can just play football."

—In a surprising move on Aug. 4, the Redskins cut safety Stuart Schweigert, a Raiders starter the previous three years.

"Because he ... didn't show signs of being able to adjust quickly enough, we didn't give him a year to do it because we want now," coach Jim Zorn said. "He's a good athlete and he can do a lot of things, but fitting into our scheme, we didn't feel like he necessarily fit as quick as we need him to."

—Jon Jansen center? Jon Jansen guard? If cornerback Shawn Springs can start at free safety after 11 years as a No. 1 cornerback, why can't a 32-year-old right tackle shift inside?

Former backup center Mike Pucillo wasn't re-signed so Jansen has been trying his hand at snapping. Before reserve tackles Stephon Heyer and Todd Wade were hurt in the Hall of Fame Game, coach Jim Zorn said that he might even let Jansen play some center in preseason. Jansen has also contemplated a shift to guard if it would prolong his career.

"I would love to be able to show that I can do more than just right tackle," Jansen said. "I've never (played center) in a game and it would definitely be a great opportunity. If the team needs (a guard), I'll be ready to do it."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I have my own soap opera. I don't watch any of that stuff. Did he get traded? Really? The Jets? And we'll see him next week. Wow. It will be a real circus. Certain guys carry that circus with them and Brett is one of those guys. Not in a bad way. He just has that aura about him." — DE Jason Taylor after being informed that Brett Favre had been traded to the Jets.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

PLAYER/PERSONNEL NOTES

—The Redskins cut S Stuart Schweigert and LB Danny Verdun-Wheeler on Aug. 4 and re-signed S Patrick Ghee and FB Pete Schmitt. Verdun-Wheeler had finished 2007 on the practice squad. Ghee, who finished last year on Carolina's practice squad, had been with the Redskins from May 6-June 12.

Schmitt, who had been in camp last summer and was with the team this year from March 27-July 18, quit three days after he returned and was replaced by S Justin Hamilton, who had been with the Redskins from May 30-June 12.

—CB Shawn Springs started at FS against the Bills because of the absences of LaRon Landry (hamstring), Vernon Fox (personal reasons) and Chris Horton (virus).

—Rookie Chad Rinehart has switched from G to T while T Stephon Heyer (knee) and T Todd Wade (ankle) recuperate from injuries suffered on Aug. 3 against the Colts.

—DEs Jason Taylor and Andre Carter flipped sides during their two series against the Bills. Taylor, slated for the left side after playing 11 seasons for the Dolphins on the right, drew false start penalties from Bills tackles manning both sides.

BATTLE OF THE WEEK: Sixth-rounder Durant Brooks came to camp as the favorite to beat out incumbent Derrick Frost for the punting job. After all, Frost hadn't been given a bonus when he re-signed in March while Brooks received one for signing in July.

Frost didn't help his chances after averaging 34 yards gross and just 22.8 net against the Bills after Brooks averaged 46 gross and 33.5 net.

"I know what I'm capable of doing and if I do that, I don't think the decision will take that long to make," Frost said. "I'm a gamer. I've shown I'm good enough to play in this league. There are things I can bring to this team that he can't: directional punting, I have the ability to stop people from scoring (with a tackle) when there's a breakdown in coverage and I pride myself on my consistency as a holder. I've given three years of good service to this team, but I know I could have been better. The question has been how often I'm not at my best."

Still, coach Jim Zorn praised Frost for pinning the Bills at their 11, 15 and 16 on three of his four punts.

OTHER BATTLES OF THE WEEK: RDT Kedric Golston, who started there in 2006 and played behind fellow 2006 rookie Anthony Montgomery in 2007, has started both preseason games because Montgomery broke a bone in his right hand in the July 26 scrimmage. But Montgomery returned against the Bills and was credited with two tackles to Golston's none. That was the second straight goose egg for Golston which doesn't bode well for his chances of reclaiming his job.

—CBs Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot and Carlos Rogers are all proven NFL starters. They'll make the team. Leigh Torrence, who finished 2007 as the No. 3 corner, should make the team but he was beaten by Bills rookie James Hardy for a touchdown. Fourth-rounder Justin Tryon is also supposed to claim a spot but he has struggled in both games. Rookie free agent Matteral Richardson returned an interception for a touchdown to clinch the victory over the Colts while 2007 practice squad member Byron Westbrook, undersized like Tryon, played extensively against the Bills with Rogers (knee) sidelined and Springs playing at safety because of injuries at that spot. Cedric Holt, in his third NFL camp, is also on hand. The Redskins will likely keep five corners.

—LBs London Fletcher, Marcus Washington and Rocky McIntosh (knee) will start. Khary Campbell is the top special teams tackler. H.B. Blades, who's out while he's recovering from a knee scope last month, was a 2007 draft pick and should be on the team. Matt Sinclair jumped from the practice squad to the roster last December. But there could be a job for the three remaining hopefuls: rookie free agent Curtis Gatewood, former Saint and Lion Alfred Fincher and ex-Steeler Rian Wallace. Fincher helped his case by forcing a fumble in the third quarter which was recovered by Wallace, who had broken his right hand in the July 26 intrasquad scrimmage.

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: As a rookie free agent from Youngstown State, running back Marcus Mason made little impression in 2007, gaining 41 yards on 13 carries. He still made the practice squad but came to camp this summer as the No. 4 back at best behind established veterans Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright.

But two games into the 2008 preseason, Mason has carried 34 times for 178 yards (a 5.2-yard average). His fumble on the opening kickoff of the Bills game was forgotten.

"Marcus Mason ended up getting (80) yards again, most of it on the last drive which we really needed," said coach Jim Zorn, adding that he's contemplating keeping Mason as a fourth running back on the 53-man roster.

ROOKIE REPORT: WR Devin Thomas (hamstring) practiced Monday morning and could play in the second preseason game. "We tried to pull him out and he kept himself in," coach Jim Zorn said. "He plopped on the ground one time to make a catch and bounced right up. I thought he accelerated very well. He seemed to be working right in. As he progresses this week, we could see him this weekend. If everything goes well, we could put him in. Now, he has to get assignments, route running, understanding what is going on. Hopefully he has had a chance to study and listen so that we don't lose a step as he enters back in the groove."

Second-round TE Fred Davis has four catches for 28 yards in the first two preseason games.

Second-round WR Malcolm Kelly is out after having his left knee scoped on Aug. 4.

Third-round OL Chad Rinehart played most of the Bills game at LT, in place of the injured Stephon Heyer, after seeing most of his practice time at LG.

Fourth-round CB J.T. Tryon has struggled in man-to-man coverage in the preseason games.

Sixth-round P Durant Brooks had a better game against the Colts than incumbent Derrick Frost did against the Bills.

After a superb debut against the Colts, sixth-round QB Colt Brennan wasn't nearly as good against the Bills.

Sixth-round S Kareem Moore, effective enough in practice to help the Redskins decide to cut veteran S Stuart Schweigert, bounced back from a shoulder stinger against the Bills to play in the second half.

Seventh-round DE Rob Jackson flashed good and bad against the Colts but was quiet against the Bills.

Seventh-round S Chris Horton had a terrific game against the Colts but missed the next week with a virus.

INJURY REPORT:

DE Erasmus James is getting closer to participating in team drills after he passed his physical and was activated from the PUP list Monday. "He is getting to take off, start to work back into drills and really feel like he is a team member," coach Jim Zorn said. "That is going to be very exciting for him. If we get him in at all this week it will be because he did very well in all the drill work. Really, I would like to see him the following week more than anything."

FS LaRon Landry (hamstring) was able to participate in Monday morning's practice. "We are just trying to work him in and keep him going," coach Jim Zorn said. "He is going to play in preseason. If it is this game or next game, it just depends on how works in this week. This is a work week, reps, especially individuals, to see how well he can push off and change directions with his hamstring. Today it just wasn't perfect. We are just going to keep watching."

WR Antwaan Randle El injured a wrist on Aug. 9 against the Bills and is day-to-day.

WR Anthony Mix is day-to-day after injuring ribs on Aug. 9 against the Bills.

S Chris Horton missed all of last week with a virus and is day-to-day.

WR Devin Thomas pulled a hamstring on July 24 but returned Monday.

OT Todd Wade suffered a high right ankle sprain on Aug. 3 against the Colts and is out at least another week.

OT Stephon Heyer sprained a knee on Aug. 3 against the Colts and is out at least another week.

WR Malcolm Kelly had his left knee scoped on Aug. 4 and is out at least another week.

RB Rock Cartwright tore rib cartilage on Aug. 7 and is day to day.

LB H.B. Blades had a knee scoped on July 28 and could return this week.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Washington | Super Bowl | Indianapolis | Buffalo | Cardinals | Achilles | Seattle Seahawks | Raiders | Redskins | Joe Gibbs | Steve Spurrier | Jason Taylor | Jason Campbell | Santana Moss | Dan Snyder | Antwaan Randle El | Gregg Williams | Al Saunders | Russ Grimm | Shawn Springs | Pete Kendall | Chris Cooley | Jon Jansen | Jim Zorn | Hogs | Chris Samuels | Hall of Fame Game | Randy Thomas | Joe Bugel | Todd Wade | Ray Brown | Stuart Schweigert | Casey Rabach | Jason Fabini | Rock Cartwright | Stephon Heyer | Mike Pucillo | Chris Horton | Joe Jacoby | Rennie Simmons

—In a surprising move on Aug. 4, the Redskins cut safety Stuart Schweigert, a Raiders starter the previous three years.

"Because he ... didn't show signs of being able to adjust quickly enough, we didn't give him a year to do it because we want now," coach Jim Zorn said. "He's a good athlete and he can do a lot of things, but fitting into our scheme, we didn't feel like he necessarily fit as quick as we need him to."

Glad he doesn't beat around the bush.

Hey Oldskool, is there any reason you posted the whole article?

Anyway, this was a kinda lame report as it has no new info in there.

I kinda wonder if Fox is a lock to make the team with all the talk of Springs playing at FS. Maybe we cut Fox and keep both Moore and Horton as our backup safeties to go along with Landry and Reed.

Archived