Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone Bought a Car from a private seller?

ccsl2

Just wanted to know how the process went for anyone who has experienced this. Easy/difficult/what documents did you need?

My wife and I are looking at cars and one from Kentucky caught our eye. Any info anyone has would help. Thanks. Wonderign if we bought a cr from otu of state, what would be the best way to get it back to MD. Or would it be easier to get temp Kentucky Tags?

Well, my first car was bought from a private seller. We found it in the classifieds of the Post. It was an 81 Celica with sunroof and cruise and it was a great car. I was 19 at the time and the experience was fine. I took it to a private mechanic and had it checked out, negotiated the price down a bit, and the car ran great for about 6 years. I've never bought across state lines that would make me a little more nervous.

you will probably need to get a "trip permit" tag for each state your driving through. I know if you buy a car here in va from a private seller you can go online to the DMV and print out a form to put in your back window that will serve as your "plates" if you get pulled over. So I would assume you could do the same thing in every state, but I really dont know.

you know reading that more it looks like that is only good for inside virginia

you will probably need to get a "trip permit" tag for each state your driving through. I know if you buy a car here in va from a private seller you can go online to the DMV and print out a form to put in your back window that will serve as your "plates" if you get pulled over. So I would assume you could do the same thing in every state, but I really dont know.

Ok cool cool.I have never heard of that for MD MVA but I will check it out. Thanks.

If the car is older than 4 years or has more than 50k miles on it, I'd be reluctant without having an independent mechanic look at it. You could look through AAA recommended auto repair facilities, pick on and have the seller take the car there. Also run a carfax check on it by vin # for accidents, verify mileage, commercial use....

I've bought a few clasic muscle cars and had them shipped, but they had certified apprasials done. If I were looking for a daily driver, it'd be either under warranty or

less than 40k miles. I figure they can't screw it up too bad in the first 40k provided they have some evidence of oil changes etc...

Just wanted to know how the process went for anyone who has experienced this. Easy/difficult/what documents did you need?

My wife and I are looking at cars and one from Kentucky caught our eye. Any info anyone has would help. Thanks. Wonderign if we bought a cr from otu of state, what would be the best way to get it back to MD. Or would it be easier to get temp Kentucky Tags?

I bought my first car from a private seller in PA. Luckily , the MVA (PVA) was right near his house, so we went there and got a temp tag so I could drive home.

Very nice guy. I actually had a brake issue when I was driving home, and found out that the breaks needed to be fixed ($1300 fix). I told him about the problem, and he sent me a check for $1300 because he said he felt bad because he knew I was a young kid who probaly couldn't afford that type of work to be done on a car I just bought.

I was very very grateful. He didn't have to do it becuase the car was sold "as is", but he was nice enough to cover the charges.

I personally will go into a little more depth next time when buying from a private seller, but otherwise I think you can get a better deal from some of them!!!

Ok cool cool.I have never heard of that for MD MVA but I will check it out. Thanks.

It's a little easier in VA than in MD. You can print out a trip permit online in VA to take the car where you need to for just a few bucks. In MD, if I'm not mistaken, you need to go with the title to the MVA and get the temporary tags like you use to transport to and from MD inspection and specify that you're bringing the car from out of state. Usually, when you're brining it from out of state they'll give you a 30 day temp tag instead of the typical 15 day inspection temp tag, but you still have to go there and register the vehicle.

Edit: On second thought, while you still need to go to the MVA, I think you can get the temp tags without the title and then bring the title with the inspection certificate when you get your permanent tags. They will only let you get the temp tags sans title if it's currently titled in another state.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update you all that me and the wife bought a 2006 Lexus IS 350 with 24K miles on it. Charcoal Gray, Fully loaded (Navigation, back up camera, etc.). Swert ride. Thanks for all of your input on this thread.

I bought a car from a private seller six years ago. It was a 92 Toyota Cellica with 120k miles on it. I had a mechanic inspect it before I bought it and the car served its purpose. I bought it for like $2k at the time.

Archived