Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SFGate: 49ers Sign Takeo Spikes

jimster

08-10) 21:36 PDT -- The 49ers added another expensive piece to their defensive alignment Sunday night when they landed veteran Takeo Spikes, who will join Patrick Willis in a high-powered inside linebacking tandem.

To make room for the two-time Pro Bowl selection, the team released linebacker Brandon Moore, who led them in tackles two years ago but whose play had fallen off since then.

Spikes, 31, and the 49ers had been talking since March after he was released by Philadelphia after just one season. He was due to make $5 million in 2008, and the Eagles felt they could use that money elsewhere since they liked their younger linebackers.

Spikes started 14 games for them last year before tearing a rotator cuff and having surgery. The 49ers' doctors had to check out his shoulder Sunday before the club would agree to a deal. When Spikes visited their headquarters in March, he was rehabbing the shoulder and couldn't pass a physical.

Until recently, it was believed Spikes was asking too much for the 49ers. General manager Scot McCloughan said Sunday they hadn't improved their offer. The terms of the deal were not disclosed. Spikes' agent, Todd France, couldn't be reached for comment.

At one point, the 6-foot-2, 242-pounder was believed ready to sign with Detroit. He also has talked to Oakland, Tampa Bay, New England and Cleveland.

Moore, who has spent his entire six-year career with the 49ers, told SFGate.com, "I didn't have the year I wanted to have last year. ... I could only control my part and, obviously, I didn't play as much as I wanted."

According to coach Mike Nolan, it was clear that Moore was not going to make the team, so he was released to give him a chance to sign elsewhere before rosters are set.

Moore led the 49ers in tackles with 114 and sacks with 6 1/2 in 2006. After the season, he was named winner of the club's Matt Hazeltine Award as the team's most courageous and inspirational player.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/11/SPSG128LAJ.DTL

Does our linebacker core really need the help though? Sounds like this guy maybe a risk and the last risk we took from the 49ers didn't work out too well... hehe

a guy that had 114 tackles a year ago to be a back up here? - I'd take a look.

The 49ers are such a former shell of themselves

Alex Smith is a bust. The only option they have on offense is Vernon Davis

Gore was a wonder in Norval's offense but won't get any carries with Mike Martz

They have overpaid for guys the past 2 offseasons after being cheap for years

And Mike Nolan, barring a playoff appearance (which simply will not happen), is gone after this season

Vernon isnt really O though since he is more hurt then playmaker. As of right now he is more Winslow (in the beginning of his career) then Gates.

The 49ers are so bad that Steve Young said he felt like apologizing to the fans last year. and he doesnt even play any more!!

The 49ers are such a former shell of themselves

Alex Smith is a bust. The only option they have on offense is Vernon Davis

Gore was a wonder in Norval's offense but won't get any carries with Mike Martz

They have overpaid for guys the past 2 offseasons after being cheap for years

And Mike Nolan, barring a playoff appearance (which simply will not happen), is gone after this season

it was pretty damn funny to hear that he had to actually beg the FO not to fire him this past offseason. :laugh:

Vernon isnt really O though since he is more hurt then playmaker. As of right now he is more Winslow (in the beginning of his career) then Gates.

The 49ers are so bad that Steve Young said he felt like apologizing to the fans last year. and he doesnt even play any more!!

Saw this the other day: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/10/vernon-davis-has-high-expectations-and-thinks-tony-gonzo-jason/

But this year, oh yes, this year, Vernon has big expectations, what with Mike Martz rolling in town. And apparently that includes mocking Tony Gonzalez and Jason Witten.

Davis, who ranked ninth in receptions (52) at his position last season, had no qualms comparing himself to the best tight ends in the NFL. "I'm going to be No. 1," he said. "That's my goal, nothing less. With this offense, I believe I can do it."

Comparing himself to Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten and other top NFL tight ends, Davis won't back off.

"They're OK," Davis said. "They're all right. I believe I'm up there too at their level, maybe even better. I'm saying I'm going to have a great season. An awesome one."

Vernon went on to say that he expects 70 catches, 1,000 yards and a Pro Bowl this season (but not because of his blocking ... "It's about making catches".)

Last I checked, Chris Cooley, who actually went to the Pro Bowl last year, spent the off-season reviewing film of Witten, while Davis is calling Witten "all right" and saying he's better. Right.

Smith sucks, Davis is overrated (and not worth the draft pick they spent on him), their receiving corp is awful...all they have on offense is Gore (who really is a very good back)...defense should be ok though, I'd guess worth a ranking between 15-10, but the offense stalling out all the time is going to kill it and tire out the defensive guys.

By all accounts, Davis is a physical freak and should be a star at his position. Unfortunately though, it seems like he still feels he can be the best without putting the extra work into studying and working on his technique. Being a TE is more than just catching, you have to block too.

Davis really needs to change his attitude ... :doh:

By all accounts, Davis is a physical freak and should be a star at his position. Unfortunately though, it seems like he still feels he can be the best without putting the extra work into studying and working on his technique. Being a TE is more than just catching, you have to block too.

Davis really needs to change his attitude ... :doh:

He's actually a decent blocker.

His problem is that he's got a big mouth, both towards other players and towards his own teammates...in general he's got a ego and a bad attitude, which isn't helped by the fact that his team sucks.

Once Nolan clears out after this year and they can find more stable QB play (with Smith or not, but it's looking like without), Davis could start to finally prove his worth. He's just in a really bad situation with the kind of mindset he has.

He's actually a decent blocker.

His problem is that he's got a big mouth, both towards other players and towards his own teammates...in general he's got a ego and a bad attitude, which isn't helped by the fact that his team sucks.

Once Nolan clears out after this year and they can find more stable QB play (with Smith or not, but it's looking like without), Davis could start to finally prove his worth. He's just in a really bad situation with the kind of mindset he has.

Davis is under contract until after the 2011 season. If there is a new CBA by then and if they don't franchise him, he will bolt. 3 more years of playing for the 49ers will do that to anyone.

Archived