Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help with going wireless

81artmonk

I probably posted about this before, but things have changed.

I want to have wirelss internet in my living room for my Xbox360 and my Directv HD reviever.

Here's what I have and what I was told to get.

I have a llinksys wireless router along with a Linksys USB network adapter.

I was told that I could use the USB adapter with my Xbox360.

Now, Directv has told me on the phone and online that I need a wireless ethernet adapter in order to get the internet with the HD reciever. However, most everyone I have spoken with says there isn't such a thing. It's either USB or nothing. Is this true?

If so, Will the USB network adapter work with my Xbox360 and what do I need in regards to a wireless adapter to work with my HD reciever seeing that it needs to be eithernet. Do they make anything small that works with a linksys router that is ethernet??

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175239647577&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4757740536B01

Is this what you need? I have one for my Denon 3808ci. Works well, setup is a pain in the nuts if you make changes to your network settings though as it needs a wired connection to set it up.

I had a linksys wireless gaming adapter that i used with my PS2 and it worked great, when i bought a 360, i could NOT get it to work, and that was after talking with linksys AND microsoft tech support for hours.

Just search ebay for the official xbox 360 wireless adapter and save yourself some heartache! I found a brand new one on ebay for $30, ½ the price of retail.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZxboxQ20360Q20wirelessQ20adapterQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR40QQ_mdoZ

I don't know if the USB adapter will work with your 360, I use the ethernet interface on mine. I have a question: Why do you want to hook up your reciever to your network? I've never heard of someone doing that; what does it do?

I'm not hooking up to a network, all this is to bring my highspeed internet to my living room and hooking that high speed internet to my 360 and Hd reciever.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175239647577&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=4757740536B01

Is this what you need? I have one for my Denon 3808ci. Works well, setup is a pain in the nuts if you make changes to your network settings though as it needs a wired connection to set it up.

That is what has been suggested I use for my Directv connection. However, that's alittle pricey at almost $90.

Don't they make a wireless adaptor like the linksys USB ones but in ethernet.

You can just buy a range extender or router, which has the same functionality, and extend your Linksys's WLAN. You can then connect your Xbox 360 to the range extender via a CAT5 cable, thus, no need for a wireless NIC for the Xbox.

Since you have multiple "components" that you want to connect, you may want to look into taking a linksys WRT54G and converting it into a wireless bridge. If you are tech savvy that is. If you are interested, look at dd-wrt.

I do know that directv sells a power line adapater that has gotten very good reviews. They run $25 on the directv site (but you need two of them). You could use your wireless adapter for the xbox and the power line adapter for your directv. Very easy to configure and get running. The powerline adapter uses your electrical wiring. I was skeptical but the reviews seem good.

Personally I see little use for networking a directv box right now except for VOD which pulls the stuff of the internet. To me that isn't worth it. Again if you are tech savvy you could do Direct2PC in the cutting edge program and some other stuff. But right now, I don't see the use for it.

I'm going to go with the wireless bridge just because I can see a lot of use for it and it's a geeky thing to do.

well than the question would be, where can you buy one. I've been everywhere and no one has heard of one, or say they don't exsist.

I bought a Linksys one from BestBuy a few years ago. But there are plenty online. Google wireless ethernet adaptor.

Shopping results for wireless ethernet adaptor

shopbag.gifLinksys Instant Wireless Wireless-G Game ...$39 to $100 - 132 stores

Belkin 802.11g Wireless Ethernet Adapter$70 to $129 - 185 stores

D-Link GamerLounge DGL-3420 Wireless ...$83 to $117 - 113 stores

Interesting...just got my dtv hd dvr and wanted to hook up on demand. So this can be done with a wireless adapter? This thing essentially plugs into the ethernet port on the dtv box and acts as a wireless modem that will sync with my houses wireless internet and allow for on demand, right?

Honestly, I think just converting a router, such as a WRT54G, into a repeater/range extender, and then connect to the device through a CAT5 cable is the easiest bet.

But you should be able to find a WNIC from Best Buy for your Xbox 360. It is just a small plug-in device that goes into the rear of the console.

Interesting...just got my dtv hd dvr and wanted to hook up on demand. So this can be done with a wireless adapter? This thing essentially plugs into the ethernet port on the dtv box and acts as a wireless modem that will sync with my houses wireless internet and allow for on demand, right?

Anything with an ethernet port doesn't know whether the cable connected to it is simply a wire leading to your router, or a wire leading to a wireless adaptor that communicates with your router.

Archived