Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buddha vs. Rocky the Flying Squirrel

Buddha

Thought y'all might find this mildly amusing, and perhaps someone may have an idea or two I haven't come up with...

I recently began a second round of head-to-head combat with a flying squirrel-- a 6" long nocturnal, chipmunk-looking thing that has folds of skin between its arms and legs that allow it to glide fairly well and fairly fast. It seems this particular rodent has a thing for scratching and gnawing on the side of my bedroom window just on the other side of the wall where my bed is. He usually shows up between 1 and 3 AM on a regular basis, scratching and gnawing until I get up and chase him away. He doesn't appear to be trying to make a hole or a nest. More likely he is eating the paint off the cedar siding.

This flying rat-- whom Buddha Jr. affectionately has named "Rocky"-- made its first appearance last October. I tried throwing objects at it, cups of water, and finally the water hose night after night. The little b@stard would run up on my roof, dive into the darkness, and return the next night for more action. On a couple of occasions, he had the balls to come back twice in one night. I tried hanging a rubber snake on the side of the window, only to find the snake lying on the ground in the morning.

Out of desperation last fall, I bought an air rifle with a scope and strapped a maglight to it to take him out sniper style. The first time I actually got a shot off, I nailed the effer in the leg and had the pleasure of watching him limp off into the woods. I didn't see him again for the remainder of the fall and winter until he returned the other night. He obviously spent the winter healing and plotting because each time I came out with the air rifle, he took off as soon as he saw the maglight aim in his direction.

So now I'm planning to stick with the air rifle approach until I either get a clear shot or he frustrates me into giving up. My next plan is to nail a giant rat trap to the side of the house and hope he steps on it.

Any other ideas from the peanut gallery would be much appreciated...

MM nailed it. Squirrels have pretty good taste buds...putting some tabasco or similiar hot sauce on the wood he's chewing (or even black pepper if you don't want to create a mess) should work. I was spraying off a bluebird house last summer and one of those flying squirrel hell-beasts flew out of one and tried to take a chunk of my ear. Nasty little buggers!

Archived