Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Halliburton follow up.

Art

Interesting Halliburton update. It still has the contract awarded it by the Army Corp of Engineers, but, it is out of the bidding in this contract. The contract awarded by the Army Corp of Engineers was to put out oil well fires that we really wouldn't have wanted months of bidding to figure out.

All those who expressed concern over Halliburton's role, at least at this point, can now laud Cheney and the government. Let's hear it fellas. Personally, I'd hate to find out Halliburton was asked to remove itself from the bidding because I want our public officials calling on their hard-won private sector experience to assist the government wherever possible. But, that just means I get to be potentially critical of this while the rest of you have to love on Bush. Odd how things change :).

http://money.cnn.com/2003/03/28/news/companies/Halliburton/index.htm

Halliburton out of the running

Dick Cheney's former employer won't have lead role in reconstructing Iraq

March 28, 2003: 7:45 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Halliburton, the energy and construction company once run by Vice President Dick Cheney, is no longer in the running for a $600 million contract to rebuilt post-war Iraq, according to the United States Agency for International Development.

The development is likely to spare Cheney, who was Halliburton's CEO from 1995-2000, and the Bush administration from conflict-of-interest criticism.

A spokesperson for USAID, Ellen Yount, said there are two remaining firms bidding on the contract. No decision has been made on who will be awarded it, she said.

Halliburton, which declined to comment, could still be awarded a sub-contractor role.

Newsweek reported that it was unclear whether Halliburton took itself out of the running for the contract, was asked by the Bush administration to do so, or whether its bid was simply not deemed competitive.

Post-war Iraq will require massive rebuilding centered on reconstructing oil wells. The work will also include emergency repair of electrical supply facilities, water and sanitation systems, roads and bridges, public buildings such as hospitals and schools, irrigation structures and ports.

Newsweek reported that a Cheney spokeswoman, Cathie Martin, said the vice president "hadn't even heard" that Halliburton would not be awarded the reconstruction contract and added, "The vice president has nothing to do with these contracts."

Cheney sold his Halliburton shares when he re-entered politics as Bush's running mate. He held on to some options, but promised to donate all profits to charity.

Timothy Beans, the chief acquisition officer for the U.S. Agency for International Development, would not identify the final bidders on the contract, the weekly magazine said.

Halliburton has won one Iraq-related job. The company's Kellogg Brown & Root unit this week was awarded a contract by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to put out oil fires and make emergency repairs to Iraq's oil infrastructure. Halliburton wouldn't speculate about the deal's monetary value.

Shares of Dallas-based Halliburton (HAL: Research, Estimates) fell 6 cents to $21.44 Friday.

Art, Just to make sure my stance was clear, I never indicated that Haliburton SHOULDN'T get the contract or be considered for it. I just stated they should at least have open bidding IF there were other qualified companies that could do an equal job.

Well, technically all this means is that Halliburton won't be prime on any work. They can still play a major role as a subcontractor. And I don't see why Cheney deserves props for following the same rules as anybody else.

But I wasn't critical of the initial arrangement anyway, under the circumstances. I applaud the administration for doing what it takes to avoid an appearance of impropriety.

From today's Washington Post --

Presuming that U.S. forces will find banned weapons stocks, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, or DTRA, is negotiating potentially costly contracts with multinational companies to destroy them. One of the companies is KBR, formerly Kellogg, Brown & Root, a subsidiary of Halliburton, which Richard B. Cheney chaired until his selection as George W. Bush's running mate in July 2000.

I didn't know the VP still has options? Interesting. I promise to give profits to charity too. Can I have some? I bet he can still make millions and not call them profits!

For the record because they decided to do the right thing after some pressure doesn't really change the issue for me at all. I never said they shouldn't get the contract either. I say one person should have stayed out of the decision.

Art you're clearly wrong on this issue, but I've once again failed to show you the light. Maybe someone else can.

Archived