Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Do You Stop the Redskins?

McD5

Yeah your right all of our players suck. :doh:

Moss isn't a deep threat or anything.

Campbell hasn't showed any flashes or made any good plays.

Randel El didn't show up and play great at reciever last year.

Our defence doesn't scare anybody even though its been in the top 10 of the NFL.

0-16 right??

Campbell makes "bad decisions"?...He had one of THE best INT-per-attempt ratios in the league last year. You don't get that from constantly making bad decisions...quite the opposite, in fact.

You have to look at a bit more than just the stats though.

I'm sure this has been mentioned to death but Campbell in both the @Dallas and TB games last year had us going down the field to win the game, and right when we got close to the endzone he throws dumb INTs.

I'm not saying he can't get smarter with some of the decisions he makes, but this thread is about how I would stop the Redskins now, not the Redskins in a couple years.

And for now, Campbell still makes some pretty bad decisions, and if my NFL team were playing the Redskins I'd take my chances with Campbell instead of Portis and the running game.

You have to look at a bit more then just the stats though.

Not when it is in refernce to bad decisions. The stats show JC wasn't as terrible at making decisions as you think. Those stats are based on the very same thing your perceptions are. We both agree JC needs to improve, however I think some of JC's ablities, or lack there of, have become misperception.

Not when it is in refernce to bad decisions. The stats show JC wasn't as terrible at making decisions as you think. Those stats are based on the very same thing your perceptions are. We both agree JC needs to improve, however I think some of JC's ablities, or lack there of, have become misperception.

Just out of curiosity, what stat keeps track of decisions made. I didn't know there was one.

And even if I'm not giving Campbell enough credit and I apologize if I'm not, I'd still want him to be the one trying to win the Redskins the football game if I were playing them.

Just out of curiosity, what stat keeps track of decisions made. I didn't know there was one.

And even if I'm not giving Campbell enough credit and I apologize if I'm not, I'd still want him to be the one trying to win the Redskins the football game if I were playing them.

KC Joyner's metrics. You have to pay to get it though. However, when it was posted about QBs JC wasn't as bad as many thought. He wasn't the best either, obviously, but it did show he wasn't as bad as the perceptions.

Some of it has to do with playcalling and the system also. JC def. did throw INTs near the endzone after marching the tam down the field late vs. Dallas and Tampa, but like you said, that should improve. I do agree with you though, that right now pressuring JC would be a good idea. He is a young QB with only one relatively-full season under his belt.

You have to look at a bit more than just the stats though.

I'm sure this has been mentioned to death but Campbell in both the @Dallas and TB games last year had us going down the field to win the game, and right when we got close to the endzone he throws dumb INTs.

You say you have to look at more than just stats, but then use INTs--which are a stat lol--to back up your viewpoint.

That's why I used the INT-per-attempt ratio to counter your viewpoint. For example, Romo sits to pee had something like 1 INT every 23 pass attempts. Jason Campbell had 1 INT every 38 pass attempts. If you're gonna use INTs to base a QB's decision making on, then in reality Jason Campbell was one of the better decision makers in the league last year (for the record, Matt Hasselbeck had something like 1 INT every 48 attempts, which is insane...Jason Campbell was the closest to Hasselbeck).

I'm not saying he can't get smarter with some of the decisions he makes, but this thread is about how I would stop the Redskins now, not the Redskins in a couple years.

And for now, Campbell still makes some pretty bad decisions, and if my NFL team were playing the Redskins I'd take my chances with Campbell instead of Portis and the running game.

Again, if you're team were playing against Campbell and were counting on him throwing INTs, more than likely you're gonna make some serious adjustments at halftime.

KC Joyner's metrics. You have to pay to get it though. However, when it was posted about QBs JC wasn't as bad as many thought. He wasn't the best either, obviously, but it did show he wasn't as bad as the perceptions.

Some of it has to do with playcalling and the system also. JC def. did throw INTs near the endzone after marching the tam down the field late vs. Dallas and Tampa, but like you said, that should improve.

Another stat that helps point to better decision making is completion percentage (the decision to throw, and who to throw to, effect that obviously). JC's completion percentage went up 7%, from 53% to 60%. So that, coupled with the INT-per-attempt ratio, would indeed point to Jason Campbell's decision making improving at the very least, and in reality being very sound. Throwing a dumb INT at the end of a game or two shouldn't negate all the good decisions a QB makes in 99.9% of the rest of the season.

I do agree with you though, that right now pressuring JC would be a good idea. He is a young QB with only one relatively-full season under his belt.

I don't think he's actually saying to pressure JC, though...he's basically saying don't worry about JC...treat him like he's Tavaris Jackson and just let him be himself because he'll make dumb decisions and give you back the ball on his own.

You say you have to look at more than just stats, but then use INTs--which are a stat lol--to back up your viewpoint.

That's why I used the INT-per-attempt ratio to counter your viewpoint. For example, Romo sits to pee had something like 1 INT every 23 pass attempts. Jason Campbell had 1 INT every 38 pass attempts. If you're gonna use INTs to base a QB's decision making on, then in reality Jason Campbell was one of the better decision makers in the league last year (for the record, Matt Hasselbeck had something like 1 INT every 48 attempts, which is insane...Jason Campbell was the closest to Hasselbeck).

Again, if you're team were playing against Campbell and were counting on him throwing INTs, more than likely you're gonna make some serious adjustments at halftime.

True enough, he may have been one of the better QBs in the NFL in not throwing INTs. However, it is the INTs he throws that are the problem. THAT is why I say you have to look past the stats.

It's not the number of times he turned the ball over, it was when. Three of his INTs were potentially the difference between 9-7 and 11-5.

I wouldn't count on Campbell throwing interceptions, but what can you do when you are trying to stop Portis? You have to take your chances with Campbell.

True enough, he may have been one of the better QBs in the NFL in not throwing INTs. However, it is the INTs he throws that are the problem. THAT is why I say you have to look past the stats.

It's not the number of times he turned the ball over, it was when. Three of his INTs were potentially the difference between 9-7 and 11-5.

But that doesn't make a case for bad decision making, though...that makes more of a case for JC not being at that point yet where he can deliver when the game is on the line and time is running out. And as you said, hopefully that improves with experience.

But if the game is NOT on the line and time is NOT running out, what do you do then? Theoretically, as coach you would have to hope the game is a nail-biter at the very end in order to rely on JC's bad decision making skills lol :).

Maybe a better way of saying it would be, IF the game is on the line late in the 4th quarter and the Skins have the ball, it's better to just focus on stopping Portis because Campbell has shown that in those situations he's more likely to throw an INT than a TD so don't worry about putting the game in his hands. But if you don't worry about JC the other 58 minutes, he has the ability to do some serious damage, especially if you let him get into an early rhythm.

I wouldn't count on Campbell throwing interceptions, but what can you do when you are trying to stop Portis? You have to take your chances with Campbell.

I would try and do both, though...stop Portis AND try and disrupt JC's game early and often. I think Portis has shown that he can still have a productive game even when being stopped early, but I don't think JC has shown that same trait yet.

From another teams standpoint I would...

Offensively, pass, pass, and pass. We are weak at the CB position and the Redskins would typically get killed by WCO teams IMO. Our pass rush has been weak and Gregg Williams would blitz a lot to make up for it.

Defensively its hard to say now with the new weapons. I think I would blitz a lot agaisnt the still young and growing JCam. He made a lot of mistakes in terms of pocket presence (ie. fumbles). I would wanto be in his face all day to make poor decisions.

But who knows.

I don't know if blitzing Campbell is the best strategy. We're in a west coast offense thats set up to get rid of the ball in 3-5 steps. So unless the team has a buffed up Carl Lewis back there, he's probably not getting to JC. I have a feeling teams will do more zone blitz packages to confuse JC and not let him know where the rush is coming from.

This is how I would play the Redskins.

When the 'skins are on offense: 8 men in the box. I'd throw my best pass rushing end over Jansen on any passing down. Have my best corner shadow Moss and (with some help deep) and do my best to lock Cooley down. Thomas and Kelly I wouldnt worry about and I would let ARE get his. I'd figure that Portis was going to do some damage, but he'll be marginalized with 8 in the box, and Jansen wont have a prayer of blocking my DE on passing downs.

You've dismissed Fred Davis in this. If they try to put 8 in the box, then we can do the play action to Portis and send Davis and Cooley 20 - 30 yards downfield. If they've got the personnel in there to stop the run, then they won't be able to cover both these guys and so we have the potential for a big play.

Archived