Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HM: Cerrato Checks In

corrupt3d

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-640/Cerrato-checks-in-with-Hashmarks.html

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

I just hung up the phone with Vinny Cerrato, the Redskins' executive vice president of football operations. I was interviewing him for an upcoming story, but I thought you might be interested in a few of the topics we discussed.

Erasmus James: The Redskins didn't land the defensive end they coveted in the draft, but they did take on a reclamation project in James, who was a star at Wisconsin before becoming a major disappointment with the Vikings. Cerrato thinks James, who is recovering from a knee injury, could make an immediate impact. He said that new defensive line coach John Palermo, who coached James for four years at Wisconsin, vouched for the player. The Redskins have asked James to lose at least 15 pounds before training camp. He played at 275 with the Vikings, but Cerrato wants him to be at his college playing weight (255-260 pounds). He recently weighed in at 268 pounds. Cerrato said that James and cornerback Carlos Rogers will both be monitored closely during training camp and probably won't go full speed. But he's eager to look at James in a preseason game.

Jason Campbell: It's pretty obvious that Campbell was one of the biggest reasons Jim Zorn was hired as head coach. Cerrato, Zorn and Campbell hopped into Dan Snyder's private jet two days before the draft and flew around the country working out players. Campbell threw to Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly and Kansas State's Jordy Nelson. It was another opportunity for Zorn and Campbell to bond.

"Jim has helped Jason bend his knees more," Cerrato said. "He's a lot more compact in the pocket, which helps him remain in more of a football position."

Zorn talked about what he would do to help Campbell improve during his 15-hour interview with Cerrato and Snyder.

"That was a piece of the puzzle," Cerrato said. "If your quarterback could improve, you might be talking about two more wins. Then you're at 11 wins."

LaRon Landry: When the second-year safety was a no-show for a voluntary OTA session, there were a few raised eyebrows around Redskins Park. Landry, who will play a huge role in the defense, didn't bother to let anyone know he wasn't coming. Cerrato was very diplomatic in discussing the issue, but it's obvious he had a "chat" with Landry about his communication skills.

"He had a family issue," Cerrato said. "But I talked to him about communication. I told him to just let us know what you're doing and everything will be fine. Jim's good about that. A lot of the veterans didn't work out, but they all had a legitimate place where they were preparing. He doesn't have a problem with that."

He said he was never worried about Shawn Springs not showing up because the cornerback has played some of his best football after skipping OTAs in favor of preparing for the season in Arizona.

I personally think that they may be too optimistic with their hopes in James. The team got him basically from the Vikings refuse heap. If they can get anything from him, then it's a win.

Overly optimistic? Maybe.

But we can't lose with this move, we either get something out of him and lose a 7th round pick or he sucks and we lose nothing.

Sorry I don't like the thread title. Thought Cerrato checked in to a hospital or into an asylum. :silly:

The article didn't provide much insight into anything except it was nice to know that was a very long inteview. And I am sure now Zorn feels it was worth it. And so do I.

I personally think that they may be too optimistic with their hopes in James. The team got him basically from the Vikings refuse heap. If they can get anything from him, then it's a win.
I do think their approach with wanting James at a much lighter weight than before is interesting though. Plus it is his college coach coaching him now, nobody's gotten more out of the guy in his entire career than Palermo. I think some optimism is fine, especially for the low-price we got him for.

Im kinda worried aboaut James too. Not so much about his production, but rushing him back too early. I think that if gets physically healed, he's going ot be an upgrade to Daneils, but I just hope that the coaching staff isnt too anxious to see him and risk another injury. I'd rather him be brought along slowly than take a chance with his knee.

Overly optimistic? Maybe.

But we can't lose with this move, we either get something out of him and lose a 7th round pick or he sucks and we lose nothing.

Very true. I agree with you here.

I do think their approach with wanting James at a much lighter weight than before is interesting though. Plus it is his college coach coaching him now, nobody's gotten more out of the guy in his entire career than Palermo. I think some optimism is fine, especially for the low-price we got him for.

The weight is more for speed off the blocks but also to put less stress on his knee that has already had multiple surgeries.

I think Minny made a mistake trying to get him to put on the weight to begin with. Their philosophy with DE's as of late hasn't been the best in the league.

Im kinda worried aboaut James too. Not so much about his production, but rushing him back too early. I think that if gets physically healed, he's going ot be an upgrade to Daneils, but I just hope that the coaching staff isnt too anxious to see him and risk another injury. I'd rather him be brought along slowly than take a chance with his knee.

If the guy sat out for the entire 2008-09 season and got healthy for next year, i'd be happy. Last thing I want is for him to go into a pre-season, get 4 sacks in 3 games and then get hurt the 2nd game of the regular season in the same knee again because we rushed him back.

It would probably be a deathblow for his career.

I don't know why you guys think there is a chance that they are going to rush James back. Fact is, the team was fully prepared to go forward with what they had. Getting James doesn't change that. It is only the fans that are going to want to push the guy back early.

Jason

Archived