Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

" Zorn not happy with Springs’ absence from OTAs " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Home > The Way We Hear It

~ ~ ~ Washington

June 6, 2008

Zorn not happy with Springs’ absence from OTAs

If you’re a half-full kind of person and a Redskins fan, you’re no doubt glad that SS LaRon Landry has returned to “voluntary” organized team activities. But head coach Jim Zorn is not thrilled that CB Shawn Springs isn’t attending and hasn’t contacted the team to let it know of his expected arrival time. It could be training camp before the team sees its best cover corner ready to play football in earnest. Zorn and Springs have not spoken. But DE Phillip Daniels spoke up when he expressed his displeasure with Springs’ absence, and our sources say Zorn is not happy either, though he told the media that he “(doesn’t) get frustrated” at this type of thing. It’s the first sign of bad news during Zorn’s tenure, but Springs typically comes to camp in shape and ready to play. Of course, it doesn’t look good for team solidarity when WR Santana Moss shows up to Monday’s session hung over from his 29th birthday celebration and was sent home with what the team at the time called the “flu.” Moss later fessed up to partying too much the night before.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=nfceast

cheers ~ ~ ~ m_c8f4f6879b0c173ceab7de360256c33d.jpg~ ~ :cheers:

Seriously, though lol...I think PFW is REALLLLY stretching to make things seem as bad as possible concerning Springs, Landry, Moss, etc. First, if this is the biggest issue Zorn has to deal with concerning his players, then his first training camp is gonna be a breeze...Second, Moss coming in hungover from too much partying on his birthday weekend is something you laugh at, not something you grow concerned over. It lasted one day. And lastly, as they stated Springs did the same thing last year and everything worked out fine...what they did NOT mention was how family issues may have possibly played a role in Springs' absence. True, he should have contacted Zorn at the very least...but again, that's not quite the red flag-waving concern PFW wanted to make it out to be.

Getting back to the thread...

Well it makes sense that's Zorn isn't happy. He's probably not used to this sort of thing with his players - and now that he's head coach - even makes him even less thrilled. He's under unbelieveable pressure in a variety of areas - the last thing he needs is a player not showing up to the OTAs even if their listed as "voluntary".

Springs has been known for this in the past - and it probably more of the same. But not even giving your new HC a phone is pretty poor, IMHO. If any of us had a new boss, but we had a scheduled (with the old boss) a day off before he showed up - you'd still give your new boss a call, wouldn't you?

*shrugs* I'm confident that Zorn will handle it.

Now, on the other hand, with everyone (minus Springs) in the OTAs - it seems like things are shaping up nicely and all the players are giving 110%. Just my :2cents: - but I've liked what I've seen so far. We'll see what happens when the season gets here.

Archived