Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible available safety?

poultry_geist66

Green Bay Press Gazette Article on Nick Collins

Coming out of Bethune-Cookman, Nick Collins was one of my sleeper picks when he was coming into the draft back in 2005. The Packers "reached" and took him in the 2nd round. However, it looks like the Packers have liked what they've seen in Aaron Rouse (a huge Sean Taylor-like safety), who's apparently having a great camp.

We could plug him in at free safety. He would be a perfect fit opposite Landry.

I totally understand that this is a pipe-dream...but I've always been high on this kid and would LOVE to see him in Burgandy and Gold.

I'm not so sure the Packers would let him go and if they did, would it be too late in Training Camp that he'd be way behind the learning curve if we picked him up? Is he better than Schweigart? He seems like a bit of an underachiever but then again, would a change of scenery do him good?

It depends on what the FO thinks of him. Our new Director of Pro Scouting should have a good idea of his abilities since he was in the same division. We already drafted a couple safeties so I think we need to see what we have there first.

We can't consider Schweigert an answer. He was let go by the RAIDERS for his inability to tackle.

Dare I mention Stanley Richard?

I like Doughty. He's got heart. But, seriously people...who are we kidding?

And Landry can play either safety position. He proved that when he moved to FS after Taylor's death.

Oh, and sorry...BURGUNDY. At least I got the colors right. What was it, Maroon, Black and Yellow? Give me a break!!! If that's a pet peeve...forget it...I'll leave that alone.

We can't consider Schweigert an answer. He was let go by the RAIDERS for his inability to tackle.

I dont know why everyone always bashes the Raiders defense, especially their secondary... they were top 10 in passing yards allowed per game last season, alwhile they generated a low number of sacks and gave up a large number of rushing yards a game.

Dare I mention Stanley Richard?

I like Doughty. He's got heart. But, seriously people...who are we kidding?

And Landry can play either safety position. He proved that when he moved to FS after Taylor's death.

Oh, and sorry...BURGUNDY. At least I got the colors right. What was it, Maroon, Black and Yellow? Give me a break!!! If that's a pet peeve...forget it...I'll leave that alone.

I don't get that.

We had this kicker, Akers. Didn't do too well here, so we let him go (based on his inability to kick) and he ended up on the Eagles.

By your logic, the Eagles were dumb to pick him up.

I dont know why everyone always bashes the Raiders defense, especially their secondary... they were top 10 in passing yards allowed per game last season, alwhile they generated a low number of sacks and gave up a large number of rushing yards a game.

Um....teams that get run all over usually have "great" numbers in pass defense. Because you don't need to pass on them.

Remember when we had Darrell Green and Chris Dishman to go with our fabulous duo of free agent safeties (I'll let you all painfully name them...I mentioned one earlier). We had the #1 pass defense in the league (I think up until the last couple of games...think we may have finished 2nd or 3rd). Except...teams didn't need to pass on us. They just ran on us all day. Outside of Ken Harvey, we didn't really have a front seven to talk about. And I believe our record that year was pretty embarassing too.

Seriously...as Redskins fans...we should be the first to know that pass defense statistics are counter-intuitive. Some of the best defenses out there have had mediocre pass defense stats, because teams are spending the second half of the games passing the ball, playing catch-up.

I don't get that.

We had this kicker, Akers. Didn't do too well here, so we let him go (based on his inability to kick) and he ended up on the Eagles.

By your logic, the Eagles were dumb to pick him up.

Um...for every David Akers...there's 25 chumps that make my case. So, I'm not sure how you twisted my logic to say the Eagles were dumb to pick up Akers. Heck...anyone that knows me here from the old ESPN boards knows I'm all about 2nd chances. I'm also realistic about things too.

I'm all for Schweigart being here...there weren't many options out there. But, I'm just saying, he didn't see that many passes (see my last post), and he still couldn't tackle.

As a Redskins fan...I hope Schweigart is the 2nd coming. But, I'm not going to hold my breath either.

Another name to think about is Greg Wesley from the Chiefs. He wants out of KC and the Chiefs are trying to move him. But I think we are ok at safety for now.

Yeah...Wesley's been available for a while now. However, he's past his prime. This is why I'm sorta ok with Schweigart, and would LOVE having Nick Collins here (again...total pipe dream). They're in their early to mid-20's and have the potential to get better.

I'll probably get clobbered for this one, but I was hoping we could land Tank Williams before the Patriots swiped him up as their insurance plan in case Rodney Harrison gets hurt again.

Archived