Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Centers looking at other teams; Ismail still trying to make up his mind.......

TC4

From the WP:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11435-2003Mar22.html

Centers Explores His Options

Sunday, March 23, 2003

Fullback Larry Centers is exploring his other options around the league before deciding whether to accept a relatively modest contract with the Washington Redskins, NFL sources said yesterday.

The Redskins are attempting to sign Centers, who was released Thursday by the Buffalo Bills. But the talks are on hold temporarily while Centers sees whether another club is willing to make him a more lucrative offer, sources said.

The Redskins also are awaiting a decision by veteran wide receiver Raghib Ismail, another free agent. The two sides resumed negotiations last week and were close to an agreement at one point. But Ismail still has not made a final decision about whether he intends to play next season, according to sources.

-- Mark Maske

Fullback Larry Centers is exploring his other options around the league before deciding whether to accept a relatively modest contract with the Washington Redskins, NFL sources said yesterday.

It's good to hear that the front office is at least demonstrating a little discipline and not offering too much for a player who could help but isn't necessarily needed.

This crap about Rocket still making up his mind is disturbing. I think the team should be looking to sign players who can't wait to get on the football field, not guys who aren't sure whether they want to play. Sign the contract Rocket or get out of town!!!

At this point, I'm not so worried about the Front Office spending too much for a player. I think Danny has learned his lessons when it comes to overpaying for Veterans and/or big Names o the downside of their career who are not likely to complete their contract. He won't do that again.

But I am worried about Danny's/Ceratos (and formally Norv's) fixation with established veterans. Every time you bring aboard a Veteran like Centers, you end up cutting a young cheap guy like B.Johnson or Rock. They have an entire future, they will get better, they are cheap, they don't get hurt as often, ... AND they play special teams.

I can go along with Rocket. He's a proven player, and I think he would fit well, and number wise, he won't automatically exclude McCants or Russell (or P.Johnson) ... who I'd like to see progress.

But I hope we dont' go overboard with brining in Veteran depth, like Norv use to do.

There are a lot of "FINDS" that will never get found if they don't get a chance .... L.Jackson, Olfetti, B.Johnson, Ohlfette, J.Thrash, Flemister, Brandt, A.Pierce, K. Watson .... none of these guys would be a factor in our line-up or special teams if Cheap veterans were brought in for a year. Let Centers go.

Originally posted by Cskin

This crap about Rocket still making up his mind is disturbing. I think the team should be looking to sign players who can't wait to get on the football field, not guys who aren't sure whether they want to play. Sign the contract Rocket or get out of town!!!

Don't by into it C-Skin. He wants to play, he's just trying to get more money. If other teams were bidding on him, he's say he can't wait to play, and he'd manipulate the best possible contract out of one suitor. But with the free-agent market proving unkind after 2 injury filled years, his only leverage is to say "I'll retire unless you give me enough money to come out".

He's just posturing for money. It's been done before, and I imagine this move packs a lot more credibility after Barry Sanders pulled the same stunt with the Lions (trade me or I quit).

I agree with Cskin on this one. I would like to have Rocket but if he doesnt really want to come i dont see a point. We can get Nate Burelison in the 3rd. I think he will be a tremendous WR in the NFL and we could find something there. Kinda like how the Jets drafted Coles in the 3rd.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Hopefully we will luckout and Centers signs elsewhere and we pass on the Rocket giving D Mac and Russell a fair shot to be the number 3 WR.

I think that is the Rocket doesn't sign with the Redskins, that either DMac or perhaps newly signed Patrick Johnson will end up at the #3 WR slot.

I think a lot of you guys are selling Centers short. I understand his age is a bit of concern, but honestly, Bryan Johnson will never be half the player that Centers still is. We'd be crazy not to be happy with a swap of Johnson for Centers. I'm mean, come on, how many catches did Johnson have last year? I'd love to add Centers and keep Rock. Centers is a playmaker, and after last year, everyone should realize that you can't have too many of them on the field. Do you think we'll ever see Johnson catch a ball out of the backfield and take it the distance? Exactly. I think some of you are so hung up on the youth movement that you turn you head anytime a proven veteren becomes available. Name one Superbowl team EVER that consisted of a team with no veterens.

Centers would give us a veteran leader on offense, as would Ismail. Personally, if I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with Centers, as he's not as injury-prone and is incredible at his position, while Ismail would be a #3 WR at best and is more likely to only play a few games before getting bent, bruised, or broken. Ismail's got speed, though, and I'm sure Spurrier will love that. Basically, if we can get them for around the vet minimum, I think it'd probably be a good move. But no cap-busters this time around.

Archived