Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Telescope suggestions

jpillian

Looking for suggestions in buying a telescope for my son.

He's 5 and enjoys the heck out of star gazing. He's currently desperately disappointed with a telescope we borrowed from some friends (it's about 40 years old), because you really can't see much with it.

Looking to spend a few hundred bucks on something that he can use to clearly see the planets and such.

Anyone have any suggestions on consumer-level telescopes that might be appropriate?

EDIT: Crap, thought I was in the tailgate when I posted this. Mod's please move this when you get a chance. Sorry about that! :doh:

Looking for suggestions in buying a telescope for my son.

He's 5 and enjoys the heck out of star gazing. He's currently desperately disappointed with a telescope we borrowed from some friends (it's about 40 years old), because you really can't see much with it.

Looking to spend a few hundred bucks on something that he can use to clearly see the planets and such.

Anyone have any suggestions on consumer-level telescopes that might be appropriate?

You are going to have to spend a lot more than a few hundred bucks for your 5 year old not to be disappointed.

:2cents:

We had a pretty nice telescope when I was in HS - which cost several hundred dollars. Add inflation, you're looking at close to a grand.

The problem with the really nice ones is, although you can see the rings of Saturn, etc, very clearly, the damn thing moves out of view so fast due to the earth's rotation. Within seconds it will move right out of view. So then you have to re-adjust.

Should be fun though. Good luck.

edit: BTW, next time post this in the Tailgate forum ;)

Archived