Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Rotoworld Mock: Limas Sweed at #21

Ji

21. Washington - Texas WR Limas Sweed

Sweed isn't your prototypical West Coast wideout, but he's closer than anyone else on Washington's roster. The flashy, confident senior would play split end in Jim Zorn's offense. Santana Moss will likely move to Deion Branch's flanker spot with Antwaan Randle El becoming Zorn's younger, speedier version of Bobby Engram.

honestly, i would not waste a 1st rounder on a wr....the easiest position to fill. Go for the best lineman available. So many great wr's in the NFL that were picked in the 3rd rounds or later. We actually helped that stat by drafting Rod Gardner over Steve Smith

21. Washington - Texas WR Limas Sweed

Sweed isn't your prototypical West Coast wideout, but he's closer than anyone else on Washington's roster. The flashy, confident senior would play split end in Jim Zorn's offense. Santana Moss will likely move to Deion Branch's flanker spot with Antwaan Randle El becoming Zorn's younger, speedier version of Bobby Engram.

honestly, i would not waste a 1st rounder on a wr....the easiest position to fill. Go for the best lineman available. So many great wr's in the NFL that were picked in the 3rd rounds or later. We actually helped that stat by drafting Rod Gardner over Steve Smith

I think you have it backwards, there. Take a look at the leading WRs in the NFL in terms of TDs, catches, yards, all that stuff and you'll find that most came out of the 1st or 2nd rounds, with a couple late round gems thrown in. Contrast that to DL, where most of the best sack guys the past few years were picked up AFTER the 1st round. Just take a look at the Giant's dominant line last year and where they were all taken. Guard is another position where you can get a great player after the 1st (this is just historical fact since there is MAYBE one Guard taken in the 1st every year. And that is a maybe).

Here is what I wrote in another thread and I think it's worth noting here:

The problem with Sweed is that for 40 games played (2 more than Calvin Johnson), his statistics are pretty underwhelming. The only thing going for this guy are his measurables.

Let's take a deeper look at his best season, since last year wasn't worth looking at:

Sweed has 40 games with 124 receptions and 20 TDs. His best season at Texas was 46 catches, 801 yards and 12 TDs. IMO, since none of his other three seasons are even close to that, it sort of makes him a "one year wonder". In fact, that same year 26 of his catches and 6 of his TDs came against 4 teams: Iowa State (4-8), Nebraska (9-5), Baylor (4-8) and North Texas (3-9).

The other games:

Ohio State (12-1) - 3 catches for 37 yards

Rice (7-6) - 1 catch for 16 yards and a TD

Sam Houston State (6-5) - 3 catches for 70 yards and a TD

Oklahoma (11-3) - 2 catches for 38 yards and a TD

Texas Tech (8-5) - 2 catches for 47 yards and a TD

Oklahoma State (7-6) - 2 catches for 18 yards

Kansas State (7-6) - 3 catches for 57 yards and a TD

Texas A&M (9-4) - 1 catch for 14 yards

Iowa (6-7) - 3 catches for 70 yards and a TD

In games where teams won 8 games or more, Sweed ended up with:

16 catches and 3 TDs in 5 games... Out of 46 catches and 12 TDs on the year.

BTW, last season: He beat up on Arkansas State and Rice, but his other 4 games were miserable and his best performance out of those was a 4 catch for 26 yards (0 TDs) against TCU.

How can you say this an "impressive" body of work. The guy has measurables (height and speed) and people will reach in the 1st round based on those alone. He isn't worthy of the risk. We might as well just bring back Darkerian McCants to catch TDs.

i hate taking wr's in the first round. Its about as much crapshoot as a QB

Its just as much a crapshoot as any position.

What, you think DE is less of a crapshoot than WR?

At least 60% of Last Year's Top 10 WRs were former 1st Rounders. 60% of Last Year's Top 10 DEs were former Non-1st Rounders, with the majority of them being former 2nd Day Picks (according to the old format, which is 4th-7th Round).

And waste it on a what? Lineman who has just as much a chance to be a bust as WR? How many Great WRs in the NFL were picked 3rd Round or later? Instead of saying unjustifiable ****, how about some actual stats. What percentage of last year's Top 10 Yard Getters at WR were former 3rd Rounders or later?

Archived