Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Christian Varner S, Maryland draft local talent?

Never4get#21

I've seen a lot of your posted mocks. Most of them have safties in the later rounds. Interested to know what your thought are about "Bam Bam". Thinking late second day pickup.

He had a good pro day.

4.41 forty

36.5 vertical

15 reps at 225lbs

10' broad jump

Write up:

A heady, instinctive defensive back who played in all 48 games over his final four years ... started 36 of his last 37 games ... his 35 consecutive starts were the most on the team at the conclusion of 2007 ... had 165 career tackles ... moved from free safety to strong safety in the spring of 2007 ... a big hitter ... dramatically improved his speed and strength after his arrival at Maryland ... added 25 pounds since the start of 2004 ... an Iron Terp in 2006 ... posted a 37 1/2 inch vertical jump and 545-pound squat in the spring of 2006 ... had a 39-inch vertical in the spring of 2007. http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/varner_christian01.html

Down Side: He looks to hit too much. Needs to work on coverage skills.

nice video of him:

I have watched him play at MD and he is not that great of a player. He could be a solid SS backup in the long-term but I don't really see him staying. He would be a late 7th round pick but I think we kind of need more of a FS than a SS (remember we only have 3 safeties on the roster as of now). If we had to draft a MD safety I would go for J.J. Justice who played FS at MD and did a pretty solid job for us.

I have watched him play at MD and he is not that great of a player. He could be a solid SS backup in the long-term but I don't really see him staying. He would be a late 7th round pick but I think we kind of need more of a FS than a SS (remember we only have 3 safeties on the roster as of now). If we had to draft a MD safety I would go for J.J. Justice who played FS at MD and did a pretty solid job for us.

He'd only be for depth, in which case, picking him up as a UDFA would be a great move at SS.

JJ Justice, however, could also be a solid UDFA acquisition, primarily for depth though.

Yes, lets draft every Terp, Mountaineer and Hokie thats available.

yeah ok.....

The Skins are looking for depth at safety in this draft. They'll be looking for those late round "hidden gems". We need to address CB,LB,DT/DE, and OL on the first and early second day. With that said were going to draft a safety. I'm a MD Alum and I watched this guy play. He's not bad. He played both FS and SS so he can be versatile. He wasnt good as a PR. I think as UDFA or one of the 3 picks we have in the seventh, we should take the chance on this guy. He has potential and he's local. Heyer ring a bell.

yeah ok.....

The Skins are looking for depth at safety in this draft. They'll be looking for those late round "hidden gems". We need to address CB,LB,DT/DE, and OL on the first and early second day. With that said were going to draft a safety. I'm a MD Alum and I watched this guy play. He's not bad. He played both FS and SS so he can be versatile. He wasnt good as a PR. I think as UDFA or one of the 3 picks we have in the seventh, we should take the chance on this guy. He has potential and he's local. Heyer ring a bell.

Heyer, if I recall correctly...was projected to actually be a mid-round draft pick, until his knee injury caused his stock to dramatically fall.

As for Varner, I can't find a single thing about him being projected anywhere near the actual draft. This guy will definitely go undrafted, no need to use a 7th rounder on him.

That all being said, according to KFFL:

http://www.kffl.com/player/19424/nfl

Redskins | Varner to work out for team

Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:40:44 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports University of Maryland S Christian Varner will have a pre-draft workout with the Washington Redskins Friday, April 4.

yeah ok.....

Hey didn't MD have a kid name Limbush or something Bush who was a Safety last season. Did anything come of that guy. I remember the other CB went high that year also i think it was Wilson

Hey didn't MD have a kid name Limbush or something Bush who was a Safety last season. Did anything come of that guy. I remember the other CB went high that year also i think it was Wilson

Marcus Wimbush. He didn't do anything in the NFL or even make a team if I'm not mistaken.

Josh Wilson went in the 2nd to the seahawks... and you're thinking of marcus wimbush... he had some issues with the law going into the draft... worked out for the skins predraft but didn't get drafted and to my knowledge isn't playing football..

Heyer, if I recall correctly...was projected to actually be a mid-round draft pick, until his knee injury caused his stock to dramatically fall.

As for Varner, I can't find a single thing about him being projected anywhere near the actual draft. This guy will definitely go undrafted, no need to use a 7th rounder on him.

That all being said, according to KFFL:

http://www.kffl.com/player/19424/nfl

Redskins | Varner to work out for team

Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:40:44 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports University of Maryland S Christian Varner will have a pre-draft workout with the Washington Redskins Friday, April 4.

Thanks for the info. Nice to know the Skins scouts are looking at everyone.

Marcus Wimbush. He didn't do anything in the NFL or even make a team if I'm not mistaken.
Josh Wilson went in the 2nd to the seahawks... and you're thinking of marcus wimbush... he had some issues with the law going into the draft... worked out for the skins predraft but didn't get drafted and to my knowledge isn't playing football..

Thanks for the quick response.

Archived