Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Great article on first round WRs.

Skins4ever1

That article is pointless since we all know that on average WR's are NOT productive, much less probowlers in their first year. Look 3-4 years later and it's another story. Same goes for QB. Other positions see a more immediate return. Just the nature of the game and not an indicator of what a team should do in terms of drafting. Ask the author how many probowlers were produced over the last 10 years outside of the 1st round and the tone of the article would change significantly. This team doesn't need a WR to be highly productive in the 1st year anyway considering the depth at the position. Just catch some balls over the middle and provide a red zone target occassionally. In 2-3 years, their role would change as Moss and Randle El transition out either due to cost or injury.

Yes, WR's are a crapshoot in the 1st round but that does't mean you don't draft one. People were high on Clifford Russel in the 3rd a few years ago and last I checked, he's playing for another team. If there is no clear cut WR on their board, dropping back a few spots and picking one of their top rated perhaps a few spots earlier than most would agree the position warrants makes more sense IMO than waiting until the 3rd round to fill a position of need. There aren't that many TO's that come available in the later rounds compared to the Harrison's, Wayne's, Fitgerald's, Holt's, Burress's, Moss's, and Williams's of the world. I don't care if they take a DL, OL, CB in the 1st round. Just don't exclude WR over fear of drafting a 1st round bust. Unless you are drafting high and even then there are no guarantees, the WR bust potential will be there every year so do you never take a WR in the 1st round folks...

Here let me fix that quote !!

Thank you for your well reasoned response to my question. Kelly in the 3rd? You really are smoking something. Unless he shows up to his workout drunk, doesn't catch a single pass thrown to him, or runs a 4.9 40 he isn't going to drop to the 3rd round. If he has a crappy workout he MIGHT drop to us in the 2nd, and that is a huge might. So uh...you're actually LOOKING for him to be horrible at his workout and draft him based on that? :doh:

Thank you for your well reasoned response to my question. Kelly in the 3rd? You really are smoking something. Unless he shows up to his workout drunk, doesn't catch a single pass thrown to him, or runs a 4.9 40 he isn't going to drop to the 3rd round. If he has a crappy workout he MIGHT drop to us in the 2nd, and that is a huge might. So uh...you're actually LOOKING for him to be horrible at his workout and draft him based on that? :doh:

No- I said "possible third round" pick. He has questionable injury issues. He did not work out at the combine or the pro day. We dont know how he is going to do in his private workout. If he does pretty good, he might go 2nd round, if he does great, he might go 1st round. And if he does bad, yes he could drop to third round. Would I concider taking him in the 3rd round, yes, if Hardy, Thomas and Nelson are gone.

And my response, in case you couldn't figure it out, is that, you are high on taking Sweed, we would have to take him at #21, and pay him accordingly.

There are several articles by draft pro's that say the odds are very high that a 1st round WR will not be successful, much less a first year starter.

And if you really believe that Sweed could come to Redskins camp and be a first string spit end, his rookie year, it is you who are smoking too much.

In my opionion, we draft a Nelson, or even Kelly in later rounds and give them a couple years to develop. If they dont produce, or turn out to be a bust, we dont take such a bad cap hit.

Archived