Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Car stereo problem, help needed....

BALLz

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who tried to help me a couple months ago with a VW problem. Now we have the same car, different issue.

Here are the symptoms, the radio comes on but there is no sound.The station and volume bar are displayed. When I twist the volume knob the volume bar does adjust accordingly but I get nothing. None of the button associated with the radio work. I assume the last station it was on was 106.7 because it's stuck there. Twist the tuner, nothing. Push the presets, nothing. Attempt to swith to FM2 or AM, nothing. If I put in a CD, I get the Trck number and time to display but still no sound. My wife has a tape adapter the she use with her IPOD and that doesn't even work.

So does anybody have any suggestions for me. I did disconnect the battery and that didn't work. I haven't checked any fuses, mainly cuz I've had that problem in other cars and assumed that a burnt up fuse would keep the radio from coming on at all. We called VW and they told us to bring it in, natually, I don't feel like doing that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Do you get any humming through the speaker or is it just completely silent?

No humming that I can hear, but, the car does beep when you turn the volume down to it's lowest point. And I can hear that beep.

Hey Ill do my best to help diagnose your problem, but first, give us a little bit more information. Is this an aftermarket headunit or the stock stereo that came with the car?

It doesint sound like it is a problem with the fuses, if a fuse was blown your headunit would not even turn on at all. If its stock, look at your manual and see if it has something on resetting the stereo/headunit. Try that for starters.

It's a stock unit. We thought that somehow maybe the anti theft device on it was activated but the book say when the radio is on it would say "locked" or something on the display. But it just shows a radio station.

Looking like that may be what we have to do. Went to vwvortex.com, a site recommended last time we had an issue and found a thread where a guy had the exact same issue. Apparently his dealer said the radio was shot and would have to come in for a new one.

Hoping to may be try a few things first before that happens. Either way, a stock radio probably runs between $400 and $500 so if we are gonna get it replaced i'm sure i can find something a lot nicer for the price.

One thing you may be able to try. See if you can somehow take your radio out and check the fuses for it. I know this may be a longshot, but I have an aftermarket headunit that has fuses just for the powered part of the headunit, meaning one of the fuses could blow and no signal would be sent to the speakers, but the headunit would still function.

Also I would still see if there is a way to reset the radio.

If the fuse blew in the headunit or the panel it wouldn't come on.

How old is the car?

In all reason don't take it to the dealer to have the stereo replaced its something you can do yourself pretty easily. If you order through crutchfield they will provide the wiring harness and usually a dashboard kit.

I've replaced several stereos in cars if you have the wiring harness its almost plug and play you will have to do some wire splicing but that is easy.

If the fuse blew in the headunit or the panel it wouldn't come on.

How old is the car?

It's a 2002, and i'm definately not getting a stock radio. Only way I would go stock is if we can convince the dealer it's their fault the radio isn't working since the last time it worked was right before the car was dropped of there for other work. (yes, i know, I here Vince McMahon entrance music too)

It's a 2002, and i'm definately not getting a stock radio. Only way I would go stock is if we can convince the dealer it's their fault the radio isn't working since the last time it worked was right before the car was dropped of there for other work. (yes, i know, I here Vince McMahon entrance music too)

The only thing I can think of is that something in the stock wiring harness may have come loose. If you're hearing the beep then the speaker wiring is working.

You could pull the headunit to check out the harness but in the long run I'd suggest just replacing the headunit with a mid range unit with the iPod adapter feature.

The only thing I can think of is that something in the stock wiring harness may have come loose. If you're hearing the beep then the speaker wiring is working.

You could pull the headunit to check out the harness but in the long run I'd suggest just replacing the headunit with a mid range unit with the iPod adapter feature.

Yeah, I checked out cruthfield, looks like I can get a unit like you mentioned for less than $200. Probably what we'll have to do.

Archived