Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watch Children of Dune - ON NOW!

Mad Mike

A few words on Dune.

Scifi did a good job with these movies but if you like what you see, READ THE BOOKS. Dune is to sci fi what The Lord of the Rings is to fantasy, and more. It is a messia story with a twist.

What if you could see the future AND the past with infinite detail? Hundreds of millions of generations of your ancestors memory are available to you, no lesson lost, every memory your own. You can see into the future as well and see the consequences of evey action.

You are emperor of the known universe and you are are a prophet. The problem is that every thing you know tells you that the Jihad that you started is out of control and only a supreme sacrifice will prevent disaster for the human race.

This is Paul Muad dib.

BTW In case you havent figured it out yet. A Mentat is an analyst, trained to find the truth of any situation.

Looks like I am going to have to rent it. we are in the middle of a double header here. The Girls and I just watched Ring. I called the House with the cell phone as soon as the Movie was over they about pissed their pants:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Any way Son of perdition is in the VCR so...

Okay. Never really saw the SciFi channels version of the first Dune. ( Saw the 80's one a bunch of times though....the long version especially). Heard it was good...though my sister in law seems to think the SciFi channels paul is a bit wimpy. :silly: Never read the books. ( had the chance in HS a few hundred years ago but Wuthering Heights :doh: won out. 12 Girls...11 boys in the class. :doh: ) So I'm getting I could read the books then rent the movie...since I don't get SciFi, and enjoy. K.... I'm in. :cheers:

Park City

While the movies are visually beautiful, the books are soooooo much better. Frank Herbert had such a flow to his writing and his mind was simply amazing. He wrote for a newspaper before his novels and his understanding of politics and the human condition shows.

BTW I guess it's clear by now that I'm a huge fan. How much of one? I've read all 5 of the major Dune books at least a dozen times. The last book; God Emperor of Dune I've read at least two dozen times. It's that damn good. Enjoy.

:cheers:

Mad Mike, you've probably already read this, but, if you haven't, it's definitely worth taking a look.

Dune Revenant, the only fan-written "sequel" I've come across which comes close to capturing the majesty, the political machinations and the grasp of an inner life which Frank Herbert showed. Certainly worth a look, and significantly better than any of the hideously written Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson collaborations, the first of which I made the grave mistake of buying in a fit of Dune-deprived insanity.

It lives at http://www.geocities.com/dune_revenant/ . Not FH, and it could use a sub-editor, but it takes the series in places I think he'd be interested to see explored (ever wonder about Marty and Daniel from the end of ChapterHouse?)

Edit: Since it's a hefty-ish download (at least for impoverished 56k-ers), the first page or so lives at http://houseatreides.geeky.net/books/fanfiction/dunerevenant.htm . Worth the time.

Archived