Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Home Theater Audio

cjcdaman

I went with the Onkyo TX-SR705. Now, I need to decide whether or not to upgrade my speakers(subwoofer, center-channel and floorstanding). Does anyone have any ideas for great speakers? I'm looking at JBL's. Are they good?

JBL makes great stuff for commercial applications. Stadiums, amusement parks etc. Their home line is not very good. Klipsch makes great speakers. An entry level Velodyne sub is probably better than most.

I went with the Onkyo TX-SR705. Now, I need to decide whether or not to upgrade my speakers(subwoofer, center-channel and floorstanding). Does anyone have any ideas for great speakers? I'm looking at JBL's. Are they good?

You have a price range? I got some Acoustech which are basically Klipsh clones. Readng reviews most people said they were good speakers, specifically they said had best sub in it's price range.

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=1

You have a price range? I got some Acoustech which are basically Klipsh clones. Readng reviews most people said they were good speakers, specifically they said had best sub in it's price range.

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=1

The BIC H-100 is the king of budget subs... you can get it ~ $250. I've got one in my apartment and I don't even set it past "2"...

As far as speakers go. Many audiophilie recommend that instead of going forward with a cheap 5.1 setup, you start out with a 2.1 set-up and then gradually add a good set of speaker. If you wanted to go the 5.1 set-up Fluance seems to be popular... they sell a set of 5 speakers for ~ $200 plus shipping.

You should Google search some forums (limit the search to hometheaterforum or avsforum) with keywords like "cheap" "budget" "spekaers" "$200"... 'cause there are a lot of options.

The Onkyo 705 says it outputs 100 Watts per channel. So, am I wasting money by purchasing speakers that can handle more? For instance, the floorstanding speakers I am looking at can handle a maximum of 320 Watts. Shoould I simply look for speakers with a 100-150 Watt maximum? I get so confused about this stuff. Same thing with the center-channel and the sub . . . should I only be looking in the 100-150 Watt range because my receiver outputs a maximum of 100 Watts per channel?

Archived