Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cole Signs Sheet - Confirmed!

skinsfanbu

Let the mini camps begin, Patrick and Coles must get their timing down!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-coles&prov=ap&type=lgns

Redskins sign WR Coles; Jets have 7 days to match offer

March 12, 2003

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Wide receiver Laveranues Coles signed an offer sheet from the Washington Redskins on Wednesday.

On Monday, the Redskins offered Coles, the New York Jets' outstanding young receiver, a seven-year contract worth about $35 million, including a $13 million signing bonus.

Coles is a restricted free agent, so the Jets have a week to match the offer. If they don't, they will receive Washington's first-round pick in this year's NFL draft.

Coles is the fourth member of the Jets pursued by the Redskins. They signed guard Randy Thomas and kicker John Hall and have tendered an offer to punt returner Chad Morton.

Coles had 89 catches for 1,264 yards and five touchdowns last season. He has said he was disappointed by the Jets' initial contract offer -- believed to include a $6 million signing bonus.

While New York has enough money under the salary cap to match Washington's offer it also must consider whether to match the offer to Morton by Thursday.

Morton, told by the Redskins he would get an opportunity to play running back, signed a five-year, $8 million deal, with a $2.5 million signing bonus. New York would receive a fifth-round draft pick as compensation for Morton.

Updated at Wed, Mar 12

HTTR

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I hope Morton isn't ONLY interested because of the promise to get "playing time" at RB.....I don't see it happening.

Exactly. We already have 3 RB's who are better than him IMO.

What if he came in here and proved to be better than Cadidate.

Betts, Watson, Candidate, and Morton(mabye). What a RB squad.

Ya man, it's gonna be a Very looooooooooong week. :drool: :drool: We have got to get this kid. He truly could be one of the greatest Redskin players ever, If PR turns out to be the QB we all hope for. We could have a very scarey O for some time

I may have to go to church this weekend

Originally posted by BallCoachSpurrier

I hope we didn't have to accelerate our problems with Arrington to clear cap room for this deal. That could really burn us in the future.

Obviously not much in the way of details yet, but obviously the Skins were able to get the deal done while still carrying Morton's offer sheet on the cap, so they must have reworked or cut somebody.

You're absolutely right, though, anything other than a minor redo of Arrington's deal would have severe consequenses not too far down the road. I'd rather see them eat his cap number this year and then, with a lot more cap room next year, have Danny cut Lavar a $15 or $20 million bonus check in '04 as part of a totally new contract.

Somebody please demolish that f1 Cowboy freak for me please.

Oh! and if my memory serves me correct MR. fartcar, excuse me, I meant f1car. Mr. Jerry Jones didn't sign injury prone non-producing Joey Galloway for a measly piece of pumpkin pie either my friend:laugh: I think 2 #1 draft picks and loads of cash was a pretty steep penalty to pay for a receiver that hasn't produced a 1,000 yard receiving season since joining the Cowgirls:jerkoff:

As a matter of fact, I think Mr. Gallowys days may be numbered from all those knee surgeries if ya ask me:shutup: SO go parading on your own jerkoff:jerkoff: board about the penalty you guys paid for Mr. Galloway opposed to showing how much of an :moon: you really are.

Hows that for the #13 pick....:laugh:

Archived