Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Briggs, why not Antwan Odom?

Drunken Master III

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Bengals Reach For Odom

By Chris Maier | March 3rd, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

Hours after watching their trade for an impact defensive tackle fall through, the Bengals announced the signing of DE Antwan Odom to a five year deal. According to Bengals.com the deal is approximately 5 years and $30 million with around $11 million guaranteed. While some (including Sporting News) rated Odom the top defensive end in the free agent class the signing rings hollow after watching not one but two trades fall through. The optimist sees Odom’s 8 sacks in 2008. The realist sees his 21 total tackles and realizes the sacks along side Pro Bowlers Kyle VandenBosch and Albert Haynesworth. Odom is only 26 and may have a bright future but I can’t stop picturing Reinard Wilson. Don’t forget John Thornton played well for those same Titans along side Jevon Kearse only to be average at best in Cincinnati.

The Bengals defense has lacked an impact defensive tackle since Tim Krumrie departed nearly a generation ago. That also marked the last time the Bengals fielded a capable defense. Sure, you can argue Robertson hasn’t produced much to date either but i beg to differ. Robertson has been miscast in a 3-4 defense and appeared on the cusp of breaking through before Mangini force-fed the 3-4 down the Jets throats (much to the dismay of Robertson and Jonathan Vilma). Defensive tackles are much harder to draft (bust city) and finding a productive one in his prime would have been a coup. The Bengals can hope for Sedrick Ellis or Glenn Dorsey to fall to them at #9 in the draft but neither is likely. Top defensive ends Philip Merling and/or Derrick Harvey will be however.

This entry was posted on Monday, March 3rd, 2008 at 4:42 pm and is filed under Antwan Odom, Bengal News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

no complaints about letting that fish go. to much money if u ask me. frankly, i'm glad we aren't out here spending tons of money on a rather weak free agent class IMO. i mean if someone like calvin pace is getting 6 yrs 42 million, something is wrong with the market. its a weak FA class and people are overspending on players that don't deserve those types of salaries.

I'd much rather address defensive line in the draft.

We've got a nice group of young players there.....I don't see Odom fits into that.

Besides, you have to consider he played next to Haynesworth and also had Vandenbosch on the opposite side attracting the extra blockers.

It's risky to give a big contract to someone like that.

He's a DE, and we need one. Daneils is ancient remember and has been pretty much invisible the last 2 years. Yeah, I'd try to get him if we are not absolutely set on drafting one in the first round. He absolutely abused Jansen in preseason last year.

But he's a Bengal now so...................

I was pushing for him before FA started. I wanted him as he is durable and can play the run and rush the passer.

But oh well. I even said we can afford to sign him at almost the exact contract the Bengals signed him. Maybe the Skins know something we don't.

Okay, this is starting to get crazy here. People cannot handle the fact that the skins do not want to overpay for players this season. I have done a 180 on Cerrato, I've been wishing for one of these offseasons for a while now. Odom is purely a "grass-is-greener" player. 8 sacks and only 21 measely tackles for the whole season playing next to the most dominant DT in the game and one of the best pass rushers in Vanden Bosch (sp). By comparison, our very own Chris Wilson who is 30 million dollars cheaper who saw only a percentage of the snaps Odom did, had 4 in SPOT duty with no dominating DT occupying blockers. It would have been a reach and waste of money and I am more than happy that Odom isnt eating up that much of our cap when we have poeople already on the roster who can do what h e can do.

I read somewhere that they were considering putting him at OLB in a 3-4 scheme. If that's the case I would be nervous to be a bengals fan

NFL.com says that his signing was actually a move to KEEP the 4-3 not move away from it. Who knows though?

Archived