1. 1. Who's hotter? Candace or Paige?

• Candace
    • Paige
    • Tie
    • Pancakes!

EliteXC expected to air on CBS

By Kevin Iole

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2008 5:21 pm EST

Thursday will be an historic day for mixed martial arts, when CBS and Elite XC announce a deal that will bring the sport to network television for the first time.

Details of the deal, first reported by MMAjunkie.com, are sketchy, but is believed to be a four-fight deal that will begin in April.

Kevin Ferguson, the Internet street-fighting sensation known as Kimbo Slice, is expected to headline the first fight card on CBS from either Atlantic City, N.J. or the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.

Elite XC president Gary Shaw declined comment on Wednesday, but he has been bullish on the company's future despite the fact it lives in the vast shadow created by the UFC.

The UFC had been attempting during the writer's guild to reach a deal with CBS to put fights on, but had been unable to finalize a contract.

Elite XC already had a relationship with Viacom, which owns CBS, because Showtime is an investor in the company and has been broadcasting its fights since February 2007.

Viacom also owns Showtime.

The cards on CBS are expected to be two-hour shows broadcast on Saturday nights. The exact time slot is unknown, though it is likely to be something like 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Eastern time zone and 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Pacific.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/EliteXC-expected-to-air-on-CBS?urn=mma,68962

Two things.

Like I said in the MMA thread, are they really going to broadcast this on CBS? Elbows and knees bashing faces? Blood spurting out of open wounds, people getting KTFO? Add to that submissions that can (and sometimes do) break bones, and people getting choked out until they're asleep. People get torn up in almost every fight in MMA, this isn't for little Stacy and her friend's sleeping over to watch on a Saturday night.

Kimbo Slice better hope he doesn't face Frank Shamrock like he's been rumored to be. MMA, and more importantly EliteXC's, debut on Network television might mean a salty vet destroys their marquee guy.

Two things.

Like I said in the MMA thread, are they really going to broadcast this on CBS? Elbows and knees bashing faces? Blood spurting out of open wounds, people getting KTFO? Add to that submissions that can (and sometimes do) break bones, and people getting choked out until they're asleep. People get torn up in almost every fight in MMA, this isn't for little Stacy and her friend's sleeping over to watch on a Saturday night.

Kimbo Slice better hope he doesn't face Frank Shamrock like he's been rumored to be. MMA, and more importantly EliteXC's, debut on Network television might mean a salty vet destroys their marquee guy.

You used to be able to see wrestling on network TV, and this was with all the blood, chairs being bashed on heads, folks thrown off the ring, etc...All that wrestling violence and gore.

If the fights are at the right timeslot, I think it will be fine. And if they can play "Saving Private Ryan" at a 9pm slot, then they should be alright with MMA.

I thought they said Ken Shamrock?

If it is Ken, I'm pretty sure Kimbo would knock him out.

I thought they said Ken Shamrock?

If it is Ken, I'm pretty sure Kimbo would knock him out.

I think Ken Shamrock has been exposed from (maybe) some steroid abuse in his hayday. Lost 6 of his last 7 fights, and was pulling subs on Bas Rutten back in the day. Have you seen pics of Ken back then? He looks like Mr. Olympia. Now he just gets ****ed. Kazushi Sakuraba has won 23 fights, 3 of them by (T)KO, one of those was a recent quick TKO against Ken.

The only thing I'd like to see is the fight go to the ground. Because Ken has fought some deadly people lately, and Ken's ground game has been shrugged off. If Ken can get on top, he might pull a sub.

If it's Frank he's fighting, God be with him, Frank has still got it.

MMA is turning into what texas hold em is.

i remember when texas hold em was ONLY on ESPN and it was the world series you saw. now every yahoo channel has one and even the celebs are doing it

next is celebrity MMA. starring vanilla ice and todd bridges..

its gonna ruin the sport big time..

MMA is turning into what texas hold em is.

i remember when texas hold em was ONLY on ESPN and it was the world series you saw. now every yahoo channel has one and even the celebs are doing it

next is celebrity MMA. starring vanilla ice and todd bridges..

its gonna ruin the sport big time..

I totally disagree. MMA is one of the toughest sports in the world. Dismissing it for being a card game is pretty, well, dismissive. Texas hold 'em has nothing, and will have nothing on MMA. It's taking off and not looking back. The 18-34 demographic is latching on, and fathers are starting to get their kids in to martial arts acadamies instead of baseball leagues. I'd venture to guess most young boxers will see the limited fighting style boxing is and want to go where you can actually have a real fight.

As far as celebrities in the octagon, that would probably make the sport look better. It will show how hard it is to not actually embarass yourself in the octagon. I have a hard time believing athletic commissions would let douschbags get in there with tiny 4 ounce gloves. But if they do, they'll embarass themselves, and probably make the sport look tougher than people think.

Archived