Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Past and Present Coaches and their HoF Chances

doncherry

Interesting article from profootballweekly.com. Discuss.....

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2008/hofcoaches.htm

Roll call

PFW examines Hall of Fame prospects for NFL head coaches past and present

By Mike Wilkening

Feb. 19, 2008

When the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s selectors met to choose six new inductees on Feb. 2, no coaches were up for discussion. None made the list of 17 finalists.

That a coach won’t be inducted this year isn’t a rare occurrence — since 2000, only four coaches have been voted in, and not more than one in any year. The last coach to be voted in was John Madden in 2006, and he had to wait 27 years to get his Hall call. In all, 21 coaches have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, which has a total of 241 enshrinees.

With no coaches even making the list of semifinalists for the ’08 class, we decided to take a look at the Hall prospects for coaches present and past. We surveyed eight members of the 44-person Board of Selectors, all of whom spoke on condition of anonymity, to get a feel for how those prospects were perceived.

Before we look at the candidates, here’s a refresher on the Hall’s rules for induction. Prospective inductees from the coaching and playing ranks cannot be considered until five seasons after their final NFL season. Finalists need at least 80 percent of the vote to be inducted. The pool of 17 finalists is composed of 15 candidates from the present era and two nominated by the Hall’s senior committee, which considers prospective inductees who are at least 25 years removed from their final season in the league.

The majority of selectors surveyed said the sheer quality of players up for vote each year makes it tough for coaches to get in.

“I always consider players first,” one selector said. “I think any Hall of Fame is built on the players who played the game. If there is a toss-up, understandably I am going to go with the player.”

“When you have so many tremendous players in there,” another voter surveyed said, “it gets really tough. You look at all these players and say, ‘Gee, it’s tough to vote for a coach.’ ”

However, the first tier of candidates analyzed by our panel seems all but certain to be enshrined in Canton. (Note: Win-loss records include playoffs).

THE SURE THINGS:

Bill Belichick

Head-coaching history : Cleveland Browns, 1991-95 (37-45); New England Patriots, 2000-present (105-40).

Accomplishments: Engineered upset of Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI with a quarterback (Tom Brady) who didn’t begin the 2001 season as the starter and a team that was expected to be an also-ran in the AFC East. Two seasons later, Belichick led the Patriots to a thrilling victory in Super Bowl ­XXXVIII,­ the first of two consecutive NFL championships for New England. However, his finest work of all may have come in 2007, when the Patriots won all 16 games in the regular season and dominated their opponents like few teams before them — until the Giants upset them in Super Bowl XLII. … In addition to being regarded as a master tactician and motivator, Belichick’s eye for talent has played a major role in New England becoming the NFL’s first dynasty of the 21st century.

Red marks on the résumé: The NFL was rocked early this season by “Spygate,” which centered on a Patriots employee covertly videotaping the Jets’ defensive signals in New England’s season-opening win at the Meadowlands. Belichick was fined $500,000, the Patriots were docked $250,000 and had to forfeit their first-round draft pick in 2008. In the aftermath, the legitimacy of the Patriots’ titles was widely discussed — a subject that clearly rankled Belichick and his team, which became infamous in ’07 for rarely passing up an opportunity to score more points, even after the outcome was no longer in doubt. … Belichick was fired after five seasons with the Browns, and his Cleveland tenure is perhaps remembered most for his decision to release local hero Bernie Kosar during the 1993 season. The Browns were in first place at the time of Kosar’s departure but failed to make the playoffs.

The sentiment from selectors: Our panel would be stunned if he didn’t make it, although “Spygate” figures to be a topic of discussion when his name comes up. Here’s a smattering of opinions: “Belichick, despite that debate about his methods, I think he’ll make it. The people in the Hall, this is not necessarily a popularity contest. You see some interesting names in there.” … “Obviously a slam dunk.” … “I don’t anticipate Belichick not getting in. ‘Spygate’ will definitely be brought up, as it should be. Everything in his career will be discussed.” … “On pure coaching, you would have to think he is a lock. I just wonder if there is discussion about how he cheated and all of that. I’m not sure where I stand on it.”

Bill Parcells

Head-coaching history: New York Giants, 1983-1990 (85-52-1); New England Patriots, 1993-96 (34-34); New York Jets, 1997-99 (30-20); Dallas Cowboys, 2003-06 (34-32).

Accomplishments: At a time when the NFC was filled with powerhouses, Parcells led the Giants to two Super Bowl titles. The Giants’ triumph in Super Bowl XXI came in the role of favorite, but their victory in Super Bowl XXV was considered by many to be an upset after high-scoring Buffalo rolled to the AFC title. Six seasons later, Parcells did one of the finest coaching jobs of his career, coaxing New England into a spot in Super Bowl XXXI. After the Patriots fell to Green Bay, Parcells took the Jets’ head-coaching job; within two seasons, he had led a team that was only 1-15 in 1996 to the AFC title game. Parcells’ tenure in Dallas ended without a playoff win but set up the Cowboys for a wildly successful 2007 campaign.

Red marks on the résumé: Parcells has jilted Atlanta (twice) and Tampa Bay, and it is no secret that he was looking closely at the Jets’ job as the Patriots prepared to play Super Bowl XXXI.

The sentiment from selectors: No surprise that Parcells, who came out of retirement once again to become the Dolphins’ executive vice president of football operations in December, is regarded a slam-dunk candidate once he becomes eligible.

NOT QUITE A SURE THING, BUT GETTING CLOSE:

Tony Dungy

Head-coaching history: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1996-2001 (56-46); Indianapolis Colts, 2002-present (80-28).

Accomplishments: The Buccaneers made the playoffs in four of his six seasons. Dungy’s Tampa Bay teams were known for their swarming defenses, if not explosive offenses. He took the fall after the Buccaneers lost in the first round of the ’01 playoffs, but he had brought the Buccaneers back to respectability after 14 straight losing seasons. Dungy wasn’t out of work long, landing in Indianapolis. He has reached the postseason in every campaign with the Colts, who captured Super Bowl XLI in Dungy’s fifth season on the job. The Colts have dominated the AFC South, winning five straight division titles. Overall, Dungy-coached teams have made the postseason nine consecutive years. Dungy has also contributed to the game in several other ways. His Tampa teams ran the cover-2 defense so well that the scheme became widely copied throughout the league. Also, former Dungy assistants Lovie Smith and Herman Edwards have gone on to be successful head coaches.

Red marks on the résumé: After firing Dungy and hiring Jon Gruden, the Buccaneers finally won a Super Bowl. Also, playoff losses following the ’03, ’04 and ’05 seasons had some observers wondering whether the Colts would ever get over the hump.

The sentiment from selectors: Dungy is building an impressive legacy, and barring any unforeseen events, he’s likely to be very popular among voters when he becomes eligible. Several voters were effusive in their praise for Dungy, not only as a coach but as one of the league’s true gentlemen. A sampling of opinions from voters: “He is a good name. The Tampa-2 (defense) everybody talks about now, Dungy may not have invented that defense, but he certainly refined it.” … “I think it is an incredible point that he stayed out of the way of (Indianapolis’ offense). He didn’t go to Indy and say, ‘I’m running a conservative offense like I did in Tampa.’ I think that’s a sign of greatness.” … “He’s looking pretty good, but let’s see how his career finishes.”

WAITING LIST:

The following candidates, in the eyes of those polled, have some work to do to get into the Hall of Fame, but they are not long shots. Candidates are listed in alphabetical order.

Bill Cowher

Head-coaching history: Pittsburgh Steelers, 1992-2006 (161-99-1).

Accomplishments: Led the Steelers to 10 postseason appearances and two Super Bowl berths in 15 seasons. Perhaps his finest coaching job came in 2005, when he led a team that barely got into the playoffs to three consecutive road wins — including a shocker over title favorite Indianapolis — en route to a 21-10 triumph over Seattle in Super Bowl XL. His teams will be remembered for their conservative offenses and blitzing defenses, but Cowher’s greatest success came when he had a quarterback who allowed his offensive coordinators to open up the playbook (see Neil O’Donnell in 1995 and Ben Roethlisberger in 2005).

Red marks on the résumé: Went only 2-4 in AFC championship games, and all four losses came at home.

The sentiment from selectors: Only 50, Cowher may not be done coaching. And more success at another stop could be just what he needs to push him over the top with any skeptical selectors. Said our panel: “A wonderful résumé, but I don’t think he’ll go very far in the process unless he comes back into the game and has success.” … “I like Cowher. I’m just not quite sure he is done (as a head coach).” … “Cowher is going to be a tough sell. His AFC championship losses do not help his cause. But when you look at his case, it is similar to John Madden’s. And Madden had more Hall of Famers.” … “To me, he might be a slight tick below Shanahan and Holmgren.”

Don Coryell

Head-coaching history: St. Louis Cardinals, 1973-77 (42-29-1); San Diego Chargers, 1978-86 (72-60).

Accomplishments: Regarded as one of the great offensive minds in NFL history, Coryell’s innovation in the passing game is legendary. Joe Gibbs, who coached under Coryell at San Diego State and with the Chargers, was strongly influenced by Coryell, as was longtime NFL offensive coordinator Ernie Zampese.

Red marks on the résumé: Won only three playoff games in his career and never reached a Super Bowl.

The sentiment from selectors: One voter suggested Coryell’s best shot at induction could come from the senior committee, which can first consider him for the Class of 2012. Also, Coryell’s lack of playoff success wasn’t brought up as much as his contributions to the game, so his candidacy could have some legs in the years to come. Thoughts from our panel: “I’m kind of a Coryell guy. He did a lot of things to revolutionize NFL offenses. What he did with the Cardinals in St. Louis with as bad an owner as there was in the league (is impressive). His legacy is a big part of his candidacy. He had an impact on the game, and I don’t think he gets enough credit for it.”

Jimmy Johnson

Head-coaching history: Dallas Cowboys, 1989-1993 (51-37); Miami Dolphins, 1996-99 (38-31).

Accomplishments: Thanks to an uncanny eye for talent, Johnson rebuilt the Cowboys in short order, and he led the Cowboys to consecutive Super Bowl titles. After leaving Dallas because of a personality conflict with owner Jerry Jones, Johnson sat out two seasons before replacing Don Shula in Miami. Although Johnson didn’t have as much success with the Dolphins as he did with the Cowboys, he did draft defensive stalwarts Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor.

Red marks on the résumé: The abrupt ending to Johnson’s tenure in Dallas may be a negative to some voters. Also, his Dolphins drafts didn’t set the team up for long-term success. Miami won only two playoff games in his tenure and was blown out in divisional-round losses after the 1998 and ’99 seasons.

The sentiment from selectors: The salvaging of the Cowboys could only have been pulled off by a brilliant coach and personnel man. But Johnson’s legacy is also loaded with its share of, well, ordinary moments, and the relatively few wins (89) on his résumé is another factor that could hurt him. The voters polled had mixed feelings about him: “I don’t think Jimmy Johnson left his stamp on the game like Coryell did. … The Miami thing, that’s where you might have been able to further your case. That’s where he could have made a stronger case.” … “No one thought a college guy could come in and win, but he did. I think he changed the way people operated on draft weekend. He’s a pretty interesting candidate.” … “From talking to other voters, I don’t see Jimmy getting in. His Miami (stint) hurt him. I think he did a half-decent job with an aging quarterback. But ‘decent’ doesn’t get you in the Hall of Fame. (But) I think the Cowboys were one of the greatest teams of all time, and he built them.”

However, the voter added, “If you’re going to be a Hall of Fame coach, shouldn’t they (have to) tear the headset off your head? He walked away from the stage. Jimmy made enough money and decided, ‘What do I need this for? I’m going to go fishing.’ ”

Mike Shanahan

Head-coaching history: Los Angeles Raiders, 1988-89 (8-12); Denver Broncos, 1995-present (138-83).

Accomplishments: Guided the Broncos to consecutive Super Bowl titles in the twilight of QB John Elway’s career and has led Denver to seven playoff berths in all. Shanahan is regarded as an offensive mastermind not only for his work with Elway but for a zone-stretch running attack that annually ranks among the league’s most productive and has made 1,000-yard rushers out of a string of relative unknowns, most notably Super Bowl XXXII MVP Terrell Davis.

Red marks on the résumé: He has won only one playoff game since Elway retired.

The sentiment from selectors: The two titles help Shanahan’s case, as does his long track record of success in Denver. And if he won another title, he would likely be a lock. Said the selectors: “I think Shanahan will be considered. Those championships carry so much weight when you are considering coaches for the Hall.” … “I think it’s a little unfair (to discount his two titles because of Elway), because if you look at any coach, he got there with a good quarterback.”

Mike Holmgren

Head-coaching history: Green Bay Packers, 1992-98 (84-42); Seattle Seahawks, 1999-present (86-68).

Accomplishments: Holmgren got the attention of the Packers with his work as an offensive assistant on Bill Walsh’s staff in San Francisco. In seven seasons with Green Bay, Holmgren led the Packers to six playoff berths and one Super Bowl title. Holmgren was instrumental in the development of QB Brett Favre, who has become one of the game’s all-time best at his position. Success was fleeting early in his Seattle tenure — the Seahawks didn’t win a playoff game in his first six seasons — but he has guided the club to five consecutive playoff berths and four straight NFC West titles. In 2005, the Seahawks reached the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history.

Red marks on the résumé: In both Green Bay and Seattle, Super Bowl berths came only after a few seasons of struggle. Seattle was 31-34 in his first four seasons.

The sentiment from selectors: Some of the voters surveyed lumped him into the same group as Cowher and Shanahan. However, he has more wins than those contemporaries, and he has taken two different teams to the Super Bowl. A few more strong seasons could be the ticket for him, but as one voter noted, “(He has) been very successful in two places but only has one title, and I don’t know if that is going to be enough for him.”

BEST OF THE REST:

The following candidates have an uphill battle to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Opinions of selectors are in quotations.

Tom Flores (former Raiders and Seahawks head coach; career record: 105-90, two Super Bowl titles) — “A good coach, but not a Hall of Fame coach.”

Chuck Knox (former Rams, Bills and Seahawks head coach; career record: 193-158-1, zero titles) — “If I were handicapping the list of coaches, I would put him and Jimmy Johnson in the same boat.” … “He’s somewhat like (Marty) Schottenheimer in that his teams always played tough, but I don’t know if he’s Hall of Fame-worthy.”

Dan Reeves (former Broncos, Giants and Falcons head coach; career record: 201-174-2, zero titles) — “Very good coach, very good numbers, degree of longevity, but I don’t think he is a Hall of Fame coach.” … “A very good football coach, but I don’t know how he impacted or changed the game. He will always be going up against some great players every year.”

Marty Schottenheimer (former Browns, Chiefs, Redskins and Chargers head coach; career record: 205-139-1, zero titles) — “Marty will get some sentimental votes, and the sense I get from some people in my business is that he hasn’t got a true shot at some of his stops.” … “He is going to present an excellent but different case in that he succeeded at multiple places at a high level but could not sustain it (in the postseason).”

George Seifert (former 49ers and Panthers head coach; career record: 124-67, two Super Bowl titles) — “Nobody’s going to talk about George Seifert. But what if he didn’t­ go to Carolina?”

Dick Vermeil (former Eagles, Rams and Chiefs head coach; career record: 126-114, one Super Bowl title) — “What he did in St. Louis with that offense is amazing.”

I don't think Bellicheat gets in. For the record and 3 titles, yes, but Spygate will be hanging over his head forever, and that will sit with the voters. I'm surprised J.Johnson(can't believe I'm actually saying this) is not in. Also, it shocks me to not see Tom Flores in. He was responsible for resurrecting the career of Jim Plunkett(who should be in) and taking the Raiders to 2 SB victories.

Dungy > Parcells
Although he is a good coach, I disagree. Dungy inherited a talented group in Tampa, did a nice job in the draft and couldn't bring a ring to the best team in the NFL. The year after he left another coach stepped in and completed the task.

He then went to a team who had one of the best owners, one the best GM's, one of the best young QB's, all the offensive coaches and all the offensive weapons already in place.

Parcells goes to teams below average talent and builds from the ground up not only teams but coaching staffs and FO personnel. He has had a successful run where ever he has gone.:2cents:

I agree with the sure things, and I'd say Dungy, Holmgren, and Jimmy Johnson are in. Dungy will retire with great coaching numbers and a SB win. Holmgren will as well and Holmgren has a pretty impressive coaching tree developing, which I think might factor into it. Jimmy Johnson was a great coach and he's in the media. They love their own.

I'd say Cowher and Shanahan have a shot.

Personally, I'd like to see Coryell get in. He was an innovator and had very good teams, but like George Allen, never won the big one.

Oh, and Dungy is very good, but he's not > Parcells FedEx. You don't have the luxury of seeing Parcell's teams in the 80s and early 90s. They were tough. Based on what you have seen, I could understand you feeling that way though.

Hail,

H

I don't think Bellicheat gets in. For the record and 3 titles, yes, but Spygate will be hanging over his head forever, and that will sit with the voters. I'm surprised J.Johnson(can't believe I'm actually saying this) is not in. Also, it shocks me to not see Tom Flores in. He was responsible for resurrecting the career of Jim Plunkett(who should be in) and taking the Raiders to 2 SB victories.

I'd agree that Flores is one of history's more underappreciated head coaches. He won twice as many superbowls as Madden, yet nobody thinks of him when they think of the Raiders, they think of Al Davis and John Madden.....

Archived