Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

7th round pick idea. ( Jack Ikegwuonu)

Buffalo Hunter

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jack-ikegwuonu?id=1294&campaign=gsi_g

i haven't seen anything about this on here but i was just curious of others feelings about this kid. he was talked about as a possible 1st rounder before his injury. would you be willing to use our 7th to get a guy like this even though he probally cant play until next year? i only watched a couple wisconsin games but this kid looked pretty good to me. i think in the long haul this kid could be an asset or am i just being dumb by thinking he will be the same player he was before the injury. :helmet: this could be a waste of a pick but i would rather use it on someone with some potential than a bum QB that wont make the roster.

He was considered the top CB in the draft before his injury. He could be looking at late 4th, maybe early 5th.

No was he's gonna make it to the 7th.

I wouldn't bet on that. With his character issues (see above) being a huge concern to NFL teams, that may scare away a lot of them from even looking at him. The ACL will take away some teams until the 7th rounder. Mainly because the 7th is a good round to gamble with. He's got the skills, like many guys in the draft, it's about character and health issues.

I wouldn't bet on that. With his character issues (see above) being a huge concern to NFL teams, that may scare away a lot of them from even looking at him. The ACL will take away some teams until the 7th rounder. Mainly because the 7th is a good round to gamble with. He's got the skills, like many guys in the draft, it's about character and health issues.

The guy has first round talent, he was rated above Cason, McKelvin, DRC, and Talib before this year.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/cb.html

He'll go in the 4th, possibly fifth. No team will sit on potential first round talent till the 7th round.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jack-ikegwuonu?id=1294&campaign=gsi_g

i haven't seen anything about this on here but i was just curious of others feelings about this kid. he was talked about as a possible 1st rounder before his injury. would you be willing to use our 7th to get a guy like this even though he probally cant play until next year? i only watched a couple wisconsin games but this kid looked pretty good to me. i think in the long haul this kid could be an asset or am i just being dumb by thinking he will be the same player he was before the injury. :helmet: this could be a waste of a pick but i would rather use it on someone with some potential than a bum QB that wont make the roster.

That's why the San Diego Chargers will always be in the hunt for the playoffs, simply because they draft guys like Ikegwuonu. The Chargers roster has several players that were injured when the Chargers selected them in the draft and these players have contributed.

I say draft the guy in the sixth and take your chances, that's if he's there.

Position rank: 8showDraftIcons(7680, true, false)

NFL comparison:

Richard Marshall, Panthers

super-hdr.gif

super-5.gifsuper-6.gifJACK IKEGWUONU MEASURABLES Height: 6-1 Weight: 201 40-yard dash: 4.40 10-yard dash: 20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle: Broad jump: 225-lb. bench: 3-cone drill: Vertical jump: Wonderlic: 20-yard dash: bk.gif

KEY » * updated-icon.gif up.gif down.gif Jack Ikegwuonu

CB, Wisconsin

War Room analysis

Strengths: Enjoys being physical. Can be dominant in bump-and-run coverage; shows the strength to jolt receivers upright with a hard jam, and then uses size and strength to reroute them and throw off timing with the quarterback. Shows natural instincts, and reads the quarterback well in zone or "off" coverage. Plants, drives and closes quickly on passes in front of him and on "out" routes. Is aggressive to break up passes, and delivers hard tackles to keep receivers from getting first downs. Shows the footwork and agility to change direction and adjust midroute to stay with receivers downfield after fakes.

Weaknesses: Sustained a torn ACL in late January. Gets upright in backpedal, limiting ability to transition quickly to close on passes. When getting upright in backpedal, does not flip hips as smoothly to turn and run with receivers and often loses a step. Must reign in his physical style a bit, or will get called for pass interference a lot; in college, maintained contact with receivers throughout routes, which is illegal and closely monitored in the NFL.

Bottom line: Ikegwuonu, a junior, is a first-round talent, but his situation changed drastically after tearing his ACL a couple of weeks after declaring for the '08 draft. It's highly unlikely he will be healthy enough to run the 40 at full speed before the draft, and many GMs view that as vital to determining a cornerback's true value. (We disagree with that belief.) He also could be downgraded on some draft boards because of pending charges for his alleged involvement in a burglary. There are not many elite cornerbacks in the '08 draft, so Ikegwuonu's injury shouldn't hurt his draft stock much. Expect some team -- the Chargers, Ravens and Steelers are possible candidates -- to gamble on Ikegwuonu in the third or fourth round.

This guy sounds like what a good 6th or 7th rounder should be: either a guy with tremendous upside who is raw or drafting a guy coming off an injury to stockpile for later...

If we are looking at late round corners, give Roland Minor a shot...

He didn't play his senior year because of academic troubles, but he still got his degree...(Shows that he made the best of a bad situation.) He has good size and speed. He's a local boy, too! Here is his bio from Hokiesports.com, before he left the team...

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/2007/minor.html

15 - Roland Minor Position: Cornerback

Class: r-Senior

Height: 6' 0"

Weight: 203 lbs.

High School: H.D. Woodson

Hometown: Washington, D.C.

Can play either corner position ... Started all but one game at field corner in 2005 ... Got a late start on the 2006 season after sustaining injuries in a car wreck ... Eventually saw his first action in the Georgia Tech game ... Had to adjust to a new role, serving as the No. 2 man at field corner for the second half of the season ... Saw playing time in a total of eight games ... Plays aggressively and hits hard ... His playmaking ability could give the Hokies a boost.

2006: Injuries sustained in a late-summer car accident sidelined him for preseason practices and the first four games ... Returned to action for the Cincinnati game ... Was in on one defensive down and two special teams plays against Georgia Tech ... Played six defensive snaps at BC, contributing a tackle ... Recovered a fumble and broke up a pass in the Southern Miss game ... Played 13 snaps at corner and eight on special teams against Clemson ... Was in on eight plays at corner against Miami, registering a tackle ... Had a tackle during eight plays at corner during the Kent State game ... Got 29 plays at corner against Wake Forest, contributing three tackles ... Had a total of six tackles to go with a pass break up and a fumble recovery ... Most of his attention during the spring was on schoolwork, but he did contribute four tackles and two passes broken up in the team's first scrimmage.

2005: Starter at field corner ... Had 33 total tackles, three passes broken up and three interceptions ... Was in on eight tackles during the opener at NCSU ... Picked off a pass and returned it 23 yards for a touchdown at Duke ... Was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week for his performance in that game ... Intercepted another pass in the Ohio game and returned it 14 yards ... Had two tackles against Georgia Tech ... Was in on three tackles in the victory over Marshall ... Was in on two tackles, including one behind the line, at Maryland ... Had four tackles against Miami ... Registered a pair of tackles and a fumble recovery at Virginia ... Picked up three tackles against UNC ... Had four tackles, a pass break up and an interception against Louisville in the Gator Bowl ... Contributed a pair of tackles during the spring Maroon-White game.

2004: Played in all 13 games, recording 15 tackles, four pass break ups and two interceptions ... Made his first collegiate start against FAMU when the Hokies opened up in a nickel package ... Played 55 snaps on defense in that game, recording three tackles and three break ups ... Earned ACC Defensive Back of the Week honors for his play at Georgia Tech ... Had two key interceptions late in the game, returning the last one 64 yards for a touchdown ... Recorded four tackles in the Maroon-White game.

2003: Worked at the boundary corner while redshirting ... Showed improvement in each of the four major lifts during the off-season program ... Led all Tech players with 10 tackles during the 2004 Maroon-White game ... Two of his tackles were sacks for a combined loss of 13 yards.

High School: Earned first-team All-Metro honors from The Washington Post as a senior ... Was a wide receiver, defensive back and kick returner for Coach Greg Fuller at H.D. Woodson ... Registered 53 tackles and seven interceptions, including three for touchdowns, during his senior season ... Also caught 30 passes for 609 yards and eight touchdowns ... Blocked five punts, returning one for a score ... Had 158 yards and three TDs on punt returns and 253 yards and two TDs on kickoff returns ... Caught six passes for 250 yards and two touchdowns in one game during his senior season ... Also contributed an interception, 10 tackles and a fumble recovery in the same game ... Named to the Pigskin Club All-Metro team and was a member of the George Michael Golden 11 team ... Ranked the No. 13 player in the D.C. and Maryland area by SuperPrep ... Named a 2002 honorable mention all-region selection by PrepStar as a defensive back ... Earned first-team All-Washington D.C. honors as a junior ... Finished his career with 13 interceptions and over 1,100 yards receiving ... Excelled as a sprinter in track ... Ran a 21.8 in the 200 meters.

Archived