Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets to Match Skins Offer

Jets | More On Morton - posted at KFFL (nfl.kffl.com)

21:05 PT: Updating previous reports, Bob Glauber reports for Newsday a source familiar with the New York Jets situation said Monday the team has already decided to match the Redskins five-year, $8 million offer sheet to restricted free agent KR/RB Chad Morton. They will reportedly announce the decision on Thursday.

I think adding Morton would have brought a very nice weapon to our team, but the cost was clearly far too high, both in terms of draft picks and money. As nice a player as Morton is, it just seems to make sense to hope someone on the roster can handle those duties. Especially now that Coles appears to be more solid as a player we'll be adding, the contract to Morton is somewhat unnecessary at this time. Especially with Johnson being added for speed and kickoff return potential.

that's fine with me. I thought $2.5 million was a bit rich for a KR who didn't contribute on the regular offense.

if Morton was more like Az Hakim or Tony Horne when they were in St. Louis he would be more attractive to me.

Coles is the real prize among the restricted free agent class.

We land him and get Bowen as well and it will have been a very good hunting trip :)

Does the series of events that took place here with Morton and Coles make anyone else think Coles was the real prize? I read a few posts where people thought the contract to Coles was just a plant by Snyder, forcing the Jets to resign Coles and then we get Morton.

But looking at it all now, if Snyder was scheming at all, it seems that offering Morton a contract just so the Jets wouldn't be able to keep Coles turns out to be a better deal. Especially with the signing of Patrick Johnson. Then again, maybe Snyder isn't the evil genius I'm making him out to be.

Archived