Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With all the changes, what is the same?

Art

personally, I would add a player at #2 for the DL still, despite the moves that have been made. A rotation of three capable players makes your defense that much more effective.

that said, let's not discount Noble and Wilkinson. The Redskins have won the Super Bowl with guys like Jason Buck, Fred Stokes, Tim Johnson and Eric Williams on the defensive line.

A couple of those guys were acquired on waivers :)

Noble can clog up the middle and Wilkinson can get pressure to the quarterback, he showed that with 8 sack seasons twice in the past 4 years :)

Marvin Lewis' system didn't allow for a DT to amass sack totals. Just stand your guy up and fill.

what we are more than anything else is THIN on the DL. In case of one major injury we are in trouble.

that's why drafting a DT at #2 or trading Smoot and moving up to gain a #1 pick is attractive to me.

my feeling is we can more easily find a #2 corner than a playmaking DL.

The Patriots won the Super Bowl with 36 year old Otis Smith at CB opposite pro bowler Ty Law.

The Rams won with unknown 24 year old Dexter McCleon playing next to pro bowler Todd Lyght.

And the Skins of course won Super Bowls with guys opposite Darrell Green that have been forgotten by all but staunch Skins fans.

Grabbing Coles, if it comes off, doesn't change the equation much.

We were going to use that #13 pick on a WR or move up for one.

So, in that regard, we are still on line to grab a DL at #2 or #3.

And we also have the flexibility of seeing what Smoot can bring us in the open market.

If Al Harris at age 29 is worth a #2 pick, Smoot should be worth considerably more given his age and demonstrated cover ability as a starting corner.

And he is signed for another year at a reasonable price.

finally....I knew a healthy dose of hyperbole would get the ball rolling.......

1) most of the defensive pressure last year was generated by Gardener either directly or indirectly....he's gone....

2) lavar is going to be pulled off the line......believe what you want: he had his most sacks...by far....in this role....if he goes back to primarily run defense and pass defense.....there will be a drop off......in this scheme....

3) wynn is not a dominating DE.....he's good against the run when his linemate works in tandem well...he has acknowledged injury problems....

4) given recent press and what I observed during the latter part of the season to be a cool relationship between snyder and BW....he likely won't be back

5) a year ago we were laughing at noble as a serious DT. the dallas line did not distinguish itself this past season even with the addition of glover. he's a won't kill you kinda guy.......not front tier...

6) ???????? as to who fills Gardener's spot. will you get even half the production out of this spot that we received last year.

7) bruce is now a backup....and I'm sure every offense will wait for 3rd down to pass.

8) upshaw is an unknown. we do know that he has had what....7 sacks.....over the last 2 seasons. mid-tier to slightly above average in my book.

9) powell was an outstanding player coming off the bench. cowsette is ok but not at powell's level. where's the rest of the depth? art is right....one injury and we are tubed.

10) jackson had a serious injury. anyone actually believe he's going to pick-up where he left off?

11) scott didn't do much of anything. unknown at this point.

12) we know our safeties are a liability. Ohalate may raise his level of play, but for each intercept he bit early and was flat out beat last year on several other plays. terrell...we all know the book on him. bowens......hmmmmm........not much game experience there.......

13) right now....smoot is not a quality counterpart to Baily.....he was beat like a drum last year. *ell the dallas rookie had him for lunch in the last game. let's all hope that was a sophomre jinx and he recovers. right now I'ld say that absent a pass rush and better talent in the secondary...we are in trouble against teams with a strong passing game.

14) LBs are an area of strength....although armstead is older and trotter is coming off an injury.

I'ld say there are a lot of question marks about this Defense....as presently constituted I will wager that: 1) teams will enjoy passing success; 2) our line will tire toward the end of the 3rd quarter due to a weak rotation; 3) we will not have a strong goal-line defense; and, 4) we will draft defense very heavily in 2004 with a top 10 pick!!!!

Archived