Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Hall of Famer Green Quite the Consolation Prize

redskns21

I always wondered if Miami had drafted someone else, whether we would have drafted Marino or Green.

Hail,

H

I've known about this for a long time, but it still is amazing to think about. One more selection, and we have Dan Marino. But I'm totally happy with Darrell Green.

Think about 2000. A few selections before we chose QB Todd Husak, the Patriots selected Tom Brady. :doh:

I've heard Green tell the story several times about how Beathard told him before the draft, "If you're there when we pick, we're taking you."

DG kinda figured, "Oh yeah, right. You're gonna take me from little Texas A&I, instead of some big-name guy."

He seems to enjoy the story of Beathard "living up to his word."

What's the deal? Someone's not telling us everything. Either that or Beathard was sure Marino would already be gone, and DG was second on his board.

*EDIT* Post #28!!! :point2sky

This is actually fun to discuss because nobody has all the answers concerning such a fantasy. I do believe that our Skins got a much better and productive player (towards WINS....not just stats) in Green than we ever would have gotten from drafting Dan Marino who I regard as an arrogant and over-rated player. I once heard that when the Skins drafted Dexter Manley, they also were thinking about drafting Howie Long. We can wonder how Long would have been for us playing DE instead.....

Archived