Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FA or Trade: Could they work with us? (speculation)

DirtySkin21

Chris Simms, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Reasoning: A couple of years ago, it seemed like Simms would be Tampa Bay's quarterback for the long term. But he hasn't played since having his spleen removed early in the 2006 season and Jeff Garcia has a firm grip on the starting job. The Bucs also have Luke McCown and Bruce Gradkowski, and that may make Simms expendable. He's not likely to fetch the Bucs anything big in return, but there are plenty of teams that might be willing to take a shot on a guy who once looked like he could be a solid starter.

Does anyone think trying to get Chris Simms for a back-up to potentially compete with Campbell for the job? i think campbell needs to prove he can earn the spot instead of having it just giving to him. And I think Chris Simms still has a lot of football left in him

Kris Jenkins: Carolina Panthers

Reasoning: He's a three-time Pro Bowler and was Carolina's best defensive lineman last season. But the Panthers and Jenkins haven't been seeing eye to eye for several years. The Panthers tried to trade him last spring, but held out for a first-round pick that didn't come. The price tag could drop this season, and Washington or Baltimore are places Jenkins would love to play. The Panthers, who would be comfortable with Damione Lewis and Ma'ake Kemoeatu as their starting defensive tackles, also could simply cut Jenkins and free up $3 million in salary cap space

IF we can get him for cheap then whatever..

Chad Johnson, Cincinnati Bengals

Reasoning: Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis came out and strongly said Johnson will not be traded and that the Bengals have not even thought about moving the receiver. But Johnson might have a different wish. While making the rounds during Super Bowl week, Johnson told interviewers he'd look good in just about any uniform, besides Cincinnati's. A big contract extension might change Johnson's thoughts on staying with the Bengals. But this is a team that has a history of being frugal. Johnson's a walking distraction, but he's always been productive. The success of Randy Moss in New England might have potential suitors imagining a similar scenario for Johnson and they might try to talk Cincinnati into changing its mind.

I think Marvin is hyping up the price for chad too much cus he knows we will pay for the player we really want. But i dont say break the bank forthis guy but if we could get him for a 2nd rounder or something then pull the trigger, if not then put the gun down. Chad produces but there also has to come a time when he starts to decline and i dont want that to be with us and him counting 8mil against the cap.

I think Roy Williams has way more upside to him and we could maybe get him for a 2nd-3rd+Betts...

I do think if we make a nice offer to the Lions they might accept, i mean Betts is way better than duckett and K.jones is hurt all the time.

Thanks for that valuable insite Mort. No Chris "I cant win the red river shoot out" Sims has any business on an NFL roster. He's gun shy after having his spleen busted. And Kriss "only females should use a K" Jenkins is over the hill out of shape and injury prone. I'm half suprised your information didnt include Jerry Rice or perhaps Drew Bledsoe (as long as were talking about quaterbacks that were almost murdered on the field).

We do need a capable,cheap,back-up who can both step in and be jut as effectitive as campbell and also help him, but also could compete for the job.. And if we could get Chris Simms for cheap i'd be fine with it. Who else would we sign? and why waste a draft pick when both him and Campbell are young.

Your FA signings shouldnt be block-buster signings that cost lots of money, but they should be low-cost but yield far more positive outcome because they want to prove themselves again. And I dont think Simms is that bad. In fact, I think the bucs would be dumb to let him go for gradkowski.

I personally would rather have Campbell, Simms, and T.C or Brunell

than

Campbell, T.C-Brunell, and a project 7th rounder like we wasted last year..

I just think it's funny alot of these players are still very capable or being great players but because of past mistakes by signing old players to high contracts people dont want to sign older guys at all, and thats a mistake becuause you have to have a veteran presence on the team. And a player that really wants to play and wants to get out of a situation can take a pay cut and can produce for the team that takes a chance on him, and thats the type of **** we need to do.

We need to draft young studs but we also need to sign good veterans to small contracts but with incentives so they can earn more money if they actually produce and earn it. IM all for that.

We messed up in the past signing old players to HUGE deals and then coming here and poopin out.. These players arent a huge liability and actually have more upside than down if signed to the right contract.

Now me, im all for that.

Chris Simms is a player whos playing at a level 10 times below his ego. He would be a very bad fit. Not interested in the least. Jenkins may be a possibility as long as we make sure we dont give up too much for him, we have to make sure its a steal on our part. Johnson is going nowhere, so thats a moot point.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at some videos of chris simms and he has everything u could want in a QB except he seemed to hold on to the ball a little too long at times. I think if we got him he and Campbell could compete and Zorn could get the best out of both...

we only pick him up if the bucs let him go.

Chris Simms is the only quarterback I have even seen that literally has to throw the ball upwards to simply get it over the line.

He was setting all sorts of Tampa club records for most balls batted down....etc before injury.

Many pass attempts end up coming right back at him.

Chris Simms is the only quarterback I have even seen that literally has to throw the ball upwards to simply get it over the line.

He was setting all sorts of Tampa club records for most balls batted down....etc before injury.

Many pass attempts end up coming right back at him.

yeah but Zorn is great with QBS and he hasnt played consistantly for a while so ithink Zorn could really help him out.. He's got a great arm too

Archived