Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You knew it was coming. The Poll of polls. COLES:THUMBS UP OR DOWN?

THE FACTS:

The Washington Redskins were close yesterday to agreeing to a contract offer sheet with wide receiver Laveranues Coles, NFL sources said. Acquiring Coles, a restricted free agent from the New York Jets, would cost the Redskins their first-round draft choice in April as well as a hefty contract but would fill the team's glaring need for a speedy, dangerous wideout to lead their receiving corps.

A source close to Coles said he probably would agree last night or today to a multiyear contract with the Redskins worth about $5 million per season, with a signing bonus in excess of $10 million. The Jets would have one week to decide whether to exercise their right to retain Coles, 25, by matching the offer or allow him to go to the Redskins. The Redskins would owe the Jets their first-round pick -- the 13th overall in the draft -- as compensation.

THE DEAL:

Assume we sign Coles to a 7 year contract (voidable in 5) for $6 mil/yr with a $13 mil+ signing bonus and the Jets get our first round pick (13th overall).

THE BIG QUESTION:

What do you think "thumbs up" or "thumbs down"?

Edited to include actual contract terms

This is a far better move than trading Smoot and God knows who else to move up in the draft to take an unproven player. Coles is an absolute perfect fit for this offense. And I love how Snyder played the jets; they're forced to choose between Morton and Coles now.

Personally, I love it. First of all, we were looking at Rogers/Johnson in the draft. In order to attain a pick high enough for them, we would be looking to trade a lot, they definetly show promise but still unproven in the NFL, and would command high money anyway because we would need to move into the top 5 to get them in all likelyhood. Not to mention the Coles fits the fun and gun offense perfectly, and I think we would have a great tandem with Gardener/Coles. One of the better in the leagues. So my vote is thumbs WAY UP. Then in the 2nd round take a DT and rework BDW contract, and have your 4 DT's be the 2nd round pick ( maybe a Rien Long drops, its a great draft year for DT's ), Noble, BDW, and Cowsette.

-Teo

I think this kinda sux. I didn't watch Coles that much last season, but wonder how much of that was due to Pennington stepping up above and beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

I don't wan't to see Smoot go, but I was hoping for Kelly Washington in the 2nd round and drafting a DT or trading up for Suggs................

I hope I am wrong.........

I think this kinda sux. I didn't watch Coles that much last season, but wonder how much of that was due to Pennington stepping up above and beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

So Ramsey isn't capable of stepping up?

Regardless of Pennington, Coles is still a good, fast reciever.

2 thumbs up!

Personally, I love it. First of all, we were looking at Rogers/Johnson in the draft. In order to attain a pick high enough for them, we would be looking to trade a lot, they definetly show promise but still unproven in the NFL, and would command high money anyway because we would need to move into the top 5 to get them in all likelyhood. Not to mention the Coles fits the fun and gun offense perfectly, and I think we would have a great tandem with Gardener/Coles. One of the better in the leagues. So my vote is thumbs WAY UP. Then in the 2nd round take a DT and rework BDW contract, and have your 4 DT's be the 2nd round pick ( maybe a Rien Long drops, its a great draft year for DT's ), Noble, BDW, and Cowsette.

-Teo

Originally posted by rskin24

So Ramsey isn't capable of stepping up?

Regardless of Pennington, Coles is still a good, fast reciever.

2 thumbs up!

Not necessarily saying that, but the fact is that Pennington had a better season and team then Ramsey did last year. I am fearful that this guy will be a bust and not play to the potential that we think he has shown.

I am really just pissed that Suggs is out of the question now.

That could have been such a scary combo with suggs on one side and Lavaar on the Other..........

Chris,

No. 13 for Coles is a little high. Then again, No. 13 for 89 catches and 1250 yards a season isn't high at all. I agree that this is a bit more than Coles has proven to be worth through three years. But, at 25 and given the perceived fit he would have in our offense, it is not unreasonable to go along with the No. 13.

The team may have been set on trading up to land Johnson or Rogers. It's likely that neither guy would surpass what Coles can do in the NFL this year. Certainly I'd rather have Coles and Smoot than Johnson or Rogers. I'd still rather have a defensive tackle, but, again, an unknown defensive tackle or an 89-catch receiver who's 25 and I'm probably not going to quibble over the pick being used.

In the end such a move for Coles will be measured by the number of 80-catch years he has in Washington more than anything. It's probably a bit high though now, but it's high and understandable if not totally agreeable.

Let's properly frame the "choices" here:

--Price really wasn't an option. He lives in Atlanta, he went on the visit there, was sold on the Falcons by owner Arthur Blank, cancelled all of his other scheduled trips and stayed there until a contract and compensation were worked out. He wasn't going anywhere but to the Falcons.

--Johnson and Rogers are top-five picks, at worst. The best deal the Redskins apparently had going would have landed the number seven. OK, Johnson may slide to #7, but it's not likely.

So, in reality, the three options the Redskins had in hand were Coles, Coles, and Coles.

RTandler, Price wasn't a UFA. He couldn't just decide to go to Atlanta. If the Skins offered the #13 pick and the Falcons offered the #23, the Bills would have said "too bad, Peerless, you're moving to DC. Buy a snowshovel."

So Price was an option.

I think Coles is a really good WR, but not worth the #13 pick in the draft. So its a reach IMO. Maybe they just panicked after every speed receiver said no or retired.

Did you know he only caught 5 TDs last year? That's like 48th in the league. You'd think with all his catches and yards he'd have more. Anyone know why?

RD,

Same reason we had to trade up to the Patriots higher fifth rounder. Compensation for restricted free agents is equal to or higher than your original pick in the round you are talking about. We can't trade down. It has to be No. 13 or higher to make it go.

Thumbs up. After taking a more detailed look at the cap, I really can't complain about any of this. It's backloaded, we'll have more space next year anyway, and the guy's a standout reciever who's an incredible compliment to Gardner. Assuming the Jets don't match our offer (I highly doubt it), also also assuming Dyson signs, we're gonna have one of the best WR corps in the league next year. Hell, even without Dyson it's damn good.

EM,

Actually, it was up to Price, not the Bills. If Price said no to a trade, it would have been squashed. For example, no team is going to trade for a tagged player with no contract terms unless there's an agreement in place to have a deal signed as soon as they come over. So, if Price didn't want to come here, then he could have told the Bills sorry, because he kind of controlled his situation.

As for touchdown tosses, I have no idea why Coles would have had just five or if those five were good or bad. I think part of it is when teams roll coverages to a threat it sometimes exposes other receivers to better matchups that can be exploited. It might just be that he doesn't have a knack for scoring. It could be something that haunts him for all time.

Unless you look at all of the tape of the season you can't explain the 5 td's with any validity. Could be Coles got them close to the endzone, then they threw to Chrebet the more possession receiver, or handed it off to Curtis Martin, or threw Becht the TE. Anyway in 2001 he had 7 td's. I wouldn't get bogged down in that one statistic.

-Teo

BallCoachSpurrier,

You mentioned 5 voidable years in his contract. Geez, I hope not... two is bad enough. :rolleyes:

Rabblerouser,

Lets face it, with the #13 pick we were not going to get a GREAT PASS RUSHER or the BEST DL that low, like Suggs or Kennedy. The next level of DL are William Joseph, DeWayne Robertson, Kevin Williams and Chris Kelsay. Whereas these guys are good, they are not great pass rushers at this stage of their careers.

So what I am getting at... is that if you are lucky you probably have just as much chance of drafting a good DL, from the #13 pick down through the middle of the 2nd round anyway. For example, Howie Long was drafted down in the 2nd round!

DL who could be available in the 2nd round should be: DT Rein Long, DT Jarrett Johnson, DE Cory Redding, DE DeWayne White, DE Clint Mitchell, and DE Jim Wilkerson.

Undersized but very fast [4.6] DE's who might be available in the 2nd or 3rd round would be: Tully-Banta-Cain and Andrew Williams.

So we could still come out smelling like a rose, if we are lucky with two of these guys in the 2nd and 3rd round. :D

Coles is speedy, yet I have noticed that when he works with a short field, he is not nearly as proficient as he is with the deep threat. Also, if you combine a height disadvantage WITH a short field, Coles' effectiveness becomes void....... , IMO this one is a "coin toss" at best and only if Spurrier uses a 3 wide-out set in key situations .:stop: :stop: :stop:

Archived