Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Question about Blache's Philosophy

BMahoney

As we all know we have promoted our D-Line coach Blache to our DC. I personally am quite unfamiliar with Blache, and was hoping someone with some knowledge could enlighten me into his defensive philosophy. I know he hasn't ever been a DC so this may be hard to do, but if any of you know whether he preaches a blitz type scheme or he prefers to drop into a zone. If any of you have any idea please let me know, thanks.

When he was in Chicago he based the system on the players he had. One year he ran a lot of cover 2 and another was more of an attacking defense that caused a lot of turnovers. I believe the latter is his preference. I think it will be similar to GW but there will be more emphasis on getting TO's. Blache was highly thought of in Chicago and was one of the hot DC's that was talked about for HC jobs but never got the chance.

Blache was highly thought of in Chicago and was one of the hot DC's that was talked about for HC jobs but never got the chance.

I don't remember him being a "hot HC candidate" at all. I could be wrong, but my good friend who's a Bears fan, laughed himself sick when we hired him. Personally, I've never been impressed with the guy. Hopefully he will prove me wrong.

As we all know we have promoted our D-Line coach Blache to our DC. I personally am quite unfamiliar with Blache, and was hoping someone with some knowledge could enlighten me into his defensive philosophy. I know he hasn't ever been a DC so this may be hard to do, but if any of you know whether he preaches a blitz type scheme or he prefers to drop into a zone. If any of you have any idea please let me know, thanks.

Blache is one of the top 4-5 D-coordinators in the game. Please don't question his philosophy. He is so good that you don't need good DE's in his system.

These are the most important parts of Blache's resume (from Redskins.com bio):

During his tenure, Blache's defenses forced 138 turnovers, including 37 in 2001, the most by a Bears defense since 1990, and accounted for 13 touchdowns (two in 1999, four in 2000, five in 2001, one in 2002, and one in 2003).

In 2002, Blache dealt with numerous injuries, leading to 11 different starting line-ups over the course of 16 games. While juggling personnel, the Bears defense continued with their attacking, aggressive style that set records during the 2001 season.

They forced 64 tackles behind the line of scrimmage and reached a league plateau by forcing at least one turnover in 33 consecutive games, the second longest active streak in the NFL at the time.

In 2001, Blache molded the Bears defense into one of the top units in the league, producing the top-ranked scoring defense by allowing only 203 points in 16 games (12.7 points per game). His run defense finished second in the NFL and first in the NFC, allowing just 82.1 yards per game, while allowing only three rushes of 20 yards or more all seasons and only six rushing touchdowns.

Under Blache, the Redskins are not expected to change much from the aggressive, attacking-style employed by Williams. Blache is a proponent of the Cover 2 defense. For the Cover 2 to be effective the front four defenders must put pressure on the quarterback. The Cover 2 also relies on smaller, faster linebackers and aggressive strong safety play.

Under Blache, the Redskins are not expected to change much from the aggressive, attacking-style employed by Williams. Blache is a proponent of the Cover 2 defense. For the Cover 2 to be effective the front four defenders must put pressure on the quarterback. The Cover 2 also relies on smaller, faster linebackers and aggressive strong safety play.

He's not really a proponent of the cover 2. The only reason he ran a cover 2 with the Bears was because Mike Brown, McQuarters, Azumah, and good old Walt Harris couldn't stay healthy. So Blache used more coverage and relied on Urlacher to help with coverage over the middle when the team was banged up. When the lineup was healthy, he was comfortable using an attacking defense. Blache is great at utilizing the strengths of the players to build a defense rather than forcing people to fit a role. I remember reading and article earlier this year that attributed our turnaround on defense to Blache's multiple pleas to Williams to simplify and let the team players on defense do what they do best.

Lets give Blache a chance, we have good players on defense and are sure to get a few pickups.

-I think everyone is willing to give him a chance, I was just drastically uninformed about him as is evident because I didn't even know he had been a DC for so long.

Archived