Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Carroll No Longer Canidate, Bugel Coming Back

jimster

Carroll Spoke With Redskins About Coaching Job, But Is No Longer a Serious Candidate

http://sports.iwon.com/news/01282008/v0627.html

Jan 28, 7:05 PM (ET) Email this Story

By JOSEPH WHITE

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -Southern Cal coach Pete Carroll discussed the Washington Redskins coaching vacancy with owner Dan Snyder earlier this month but is no longer a serious candidate for the job, a person familiar with the selection process told The Associated Press on Monday.

Snyder and Carroll met in St. Louis "early in the process" following coach Joe Gibbs' resignation on Jan. 8, the person said. Carroll was comfortable with the Redskins front office structure and much of the coaching staff, the person said, but the former New York Jets and New England Patriots coach decided to remain in the college ranks.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Redskins have not publicly stated the names of any coaching candidates.

Carroll's name is the latest to surface in a secretive process that has produced two current favorites: former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel and Indianapolis Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks. Fassel has had three sessions with Snyder, and Meeks is scheduled to meet with Snyder for a third time in Indianapolis on Tuesday.

Snyder also is interested in interviewing Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels after the Super Bowl.

Many of Gibbs' assistants were at Redskins Park on Monday, and nearly all that remain appear set to keep a job in some capacity under the new head coach. Guard Randy Thomas met with longtime Gibbs pal Joe Bugel, who will continue to coach the offensive line.

"I'm pretty clueless with the situation," Thomas said. "I just know Buges is going to be back. That's a big plus, rejuvenating it a little bit. A couple of other guys are back - it's some good out of it."

Like many players, Thomas said he had "mixed feelings" after learning assistant coach Gregg Williams, a top contender for the head coaching job, had been dismissed. Williams and assistant Al Saunders were fired on Saturday.

The other Gibbs assistants who might not return are quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor and running backs coach Earnest Byner. Lazor's job appears redundant because new offensive guru Jim Zorn is expected to work directly with the quarterbacks, while Byner's contract is about to expire.

Glad to hear that Bugel is coming back. How's that for continuity on the offenseive of the ball? :D

As far as Carroll goes, he would be an interesting hire. From Carroll's standpoint, why would he leave USC though?? I guess we thought dollar signs might lure him into moving across the country to take another shot at the NFL as one of the retreads that folks are talking about.

It might be the greatest gig in college football, to come here and .....

I'll let you fill in the blank. :)

Think about it. Top 10 team every year, fairly easy to recruit, & may go down as one of the best college coaches ever if he keeps that tradition going at USC for another decade or so.

Guess its a moot point at this juncture, since he's out of the running.

I wonder if Fassell is still a moot point with all of these interviews still going on??

I wished everyone would turn it down and our owner have to get his short fat arse out there and coach the team himself. Maybe he would stop meddling....

He didn't turn it down, but decided he wasn't interested. He seems to interview with every team every year, but withdraws his name every time. - He must just like to interview.

Archived