Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Evangelical/Born Again: polling and the political process

DixieFlatline

When listening to the results of the Iowa primary, I heard one newscaster go through the exit polling data and state 'Huckabee got xx% of the voters that described themselves as Evangelical or Born-Again Christians'. I don't remember the percantage number but it was pretty high. Now, technically, the 'or' could mean the newscaster saw Evangelical and Born-Again Christians as two distinct groups. However, I got the feeling that the way it was said was to mean the descriptions were synonomous. That got me to thinking on how I view what those terms mean versus how its played out in the media or taken by the general public.

To me, Evangelical means someone that believes in and practice proselytizing. Born-Again just means someone has accepted Jesus as their personal savior. Theologically, I believe all Christians are considered Born-Again.

However, at least the way these terms are used in polling and in commentary, I believe the media tends to portray this group as Fundamentalist or the 'relgious right'. While I do agree there is a segment of Christians that are Fundamentalists, I don't believe someone that may describe themselves as Evangelical or Born-Again necessarily fall into that category.

If that is the case, when someone answers a polling question in this manner, aren't we overstating what is called the 'religious right' and their effect on the political process? Do others see differences in these categories?

There are certainly differences as you described,there are also differences in evangelicals(under your description)

We are far from a cohesive voting block.

For example I am evangelical and religious right and would never vote for Huck.

I believe a pastor being a politician is unethical and a conflict with my beliefs.

60% voted for Huckabee in Iowa.

And yes, the two groups are basically the same. Although the term "evangelical" spans denominations including Baptist, Anglican, Methodist, or Independent such as New Life Church in Colorado (megachurch of Ted Haggard fame).

And while most on the left consider evangelicals to be fundamentalists, generally we are not. Fundamentalists tend to be belligerent toward outsiders, while Evangelicals are not. Billy Graham worked very hard to draw the distinction between them and bring evangelicalism to the mainstream.

Most evangelicals are economically moderate and socially conservative.

There are certainly differences as you described,there are also differences in evangelicals(under your description)

We are far from a cohesive voting block.

For example I am evangelical and religious right and would never vote for Huck.

I believe a pastor being a politician is unethical and a conflict with my beliefs.

I'd be interested in hearing the differences in evangelicals as you see it. I admit this is the first time I've thought about this subject to this level. I've often felt that all Christians are thrown into one bucket when I know that shouldn't be the case. It wasn't until I heard the question they used, that I thought about how I might put Christians into different groups versus the one bucket I believe some of the media uses.

Of course, I don't believe you can separate everyone into distinct groups, but there seems to be some differences in the terminology they used in this question.

60% voted for Huckabee in Iowa.

And yes, the two groups are basically the same. Although the term "evangelical" spans denominations including Baptist, Anglican, Methodist, or Independent such as New Life Church in Colorado (megachurch of Ted Haggard fame).

Interesting...do you believe they are basically the same in the technical sense? or mainly in the way its reported in polling, the media, etc..?

Interesting...do you believe they are basically the same in the technical sense? or mainly in the way its reported in polling, the media, etc..?
In Iowa, definitely. Nationally, probably not as much. But still, look at the national association of evangelicals.

Or just the Southern Baptists, we got over 15 million members in the USA.

In Iowa, definitely. Nationally, probably not as much. But still, look at the national association of evangelicals.

Or just the Southern Baptists, we got over 15 million members in the USA.

Not sure which question you answered definitely on. :)

Can someone be born-again, but not necessarily evangelical? I'm analytical by nature, so I see a technical difference if someone wanted to make one. Although, I can see that most people might equate the two based on the common use nowadays.

Can someone be born-again, but not necessarily evangelical? I'm analytical by nature, so I see a technical difference if someone wanted to make one. Although, I can see that most people might equate the two based on the common use nowadays.

I believe so,I do think they are in error(ignoring the Great Commission) if they are not evangelical...but that is simply my belief,and I am far from perfect ;)

A person can be born-again and do many things,but many are contrary to his new nature,but salvation is not dependent on works....again my opinion

As far as voting you will see much difference between moderate Baptists and conservative ones and there are similar divisions with other denominations.

Just my denomination alone has vast differences,even to the extremes of the Phelps :puke:

Archived